EVGA

New Z370 FTW MB won't recognize older hard drives in BIOS or Windows

Author
swiftd03@yahoo.com
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/09 21:15:38 (permalink)
OK, guys, I had an older build that either the MOBO or the CPU went out on. Since you are supposed to be able to transfer everything around with Windows 10 with no problems that is what I did.

New: EVGA Z370 FTW MB
Intel 8600k I5 processor
Corsair memory
Cheap case

Existing: 512 gb SSD
2 Seagate standard HDD (3TB and 4TB)
ASUS DVD/CD drive
EVGA GTX 1080
EVGA Closed Loop Cooler

Windows 10 originally wouldn't boot, went into BIOS updated everything and changed the boot drive settings from UEFI to legacy and BAM, windows boots like nothing ever happened. Insert MOBO driver/software CD and start running all the updates but keep getting drive not available messages. Go back into BIOS and I can see my SSD (boot drive) and DVD/CD drive but the 2 standard HDD's are no where to be found. Tried swapping cables, power, ports, etc with no changes. Tried plugging in while in windows and manually scanning for hardware through the Device Manager but no changes found. Now I am 2 hours in and can not figure out why the MOBO and Windows both can't see the drives. Any ideas on what to try here? The only thing I can notice so far is that the MOBO doesn't give the option for IDE but these are regular SATA drives so I don't think that could cause this.

Swiftd03 

4 Replies Related Threads

swiftd03@yahoo.com
    • Total Posts : 21
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: New Z370 FTW MB won't recognize older hard drives in BIOS or Windows 2018/10/10 09:22:23 (permalink)
    Ok. This issue is still happening and now the MOBO won’t recognize video cards. Thinking either the power supply is going out or the MOBO is bad.

Swiftd03 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: New Z370 FTW MB won't recognize older hard drives in BIOS or Windows 2018/10/10 09:32:28 (permalink)
    Or Bad Bios Settings. Cheap case = Cheap PSU? What is the Make and Model of your Power Supply?
    Set your Boot Mode Select back to UEFI and Set the CSM to Enabled F10 REBOOT enter back into the Bios
    Under CSM Storage to Legacy F10 and REBOOT enter back into the Bios
    Use AHCI for the Settings under SATA Configuration.
    Creating Images to Follow

OR (Because you have the OS Installed)

Settings should be set before you install an OS.
    A Simple Guide for Windows 10 OS Install Below.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/10 10:36:26

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: New Z370 FTW MB won't recognize older hard drives in BIOS or Windows 2018/10/10 10:12:28 (permalink)
    Not Complete changing for Old School SATA (Complete Settings above)
    Singe GPU Simple Build & OS Install
    Use diskpart to Clean All Drives on a Fresh OS install, Yes you will need to Install all your Games.
    Have only Your single SSD SATA Drive Connected (OS Boot Drive)
    Install Windows 10 1809 and set to use a Local Account (Not a Microsoft Account).
    Click off or no on all the I want Your Data items 6 or 8 show up.
    Activate Windows.
    Complete all Windows Updates.
    Change the Drive Letter on your ASUS DVD/CD Drive to F:
    Do No Not install any Software at this time or update Windows Apps or Open the MS Store
    Power Off
    Connect a USB Hard Drive Make this Drive X:
    Power On
    Create a Backup and Restore (Window 7) Image under the Control Panel and create Image Boot CD *Drive F.
    Power Off
    Disconnect the USB Hard Drive
    Connect or Install your SATA Drives.
    Create a GPT Drive and Format it give Dive Letter of D: (3TB) & E: (4TB)
    Under the OS settings Storage change the Location of all your data to the new D: Drive
    Stiff like My Documents My Music My Videos and so on.
    Run Windows update compete then reboot the computer
    Now Open and Open the MS Store (Do Not Logon) and update all the apps in the App Store.
    Reboot repeat with the MS Store and update as needed.
    Done with the Base OS Install.
    Run the MS Store and install any of your MS Base Games and apps, they will all install on the D: Drive.
    Install your Big 3 & 4 TB Normal SATA III Drives and now time to install all your Games and so on the Drive.
    Remove the Network Cable or turn off your WiFi uninstall all the NVIDIA Drivers/Software Do not Click Reboot
    Now Run DDU and tell it to start in Safe Mode reboot run DDU Do not Restart or Reboot at this time.
    When DDU is done do not exit click the Windows Update Button and set it back to Windows Default exit DDU now do not Restart yet.
    Now run a command prompt as an Admin and run gpedit.msc
    Go to Admin Templates -  Windows Components - Windows Update and enable Do not include Drivers with Windows Update
    Reboot the computer, Install NVIDIA Drivers and restart the computer and connect the Network cable back or turn back on your WiFi
    Connect a USB Hard Drive Create a Backup and Restore (Window 7) Image under the Control Panel All Done
    Have Fun Remember to Create a New MODS RIGS

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/10/10 10:22:15

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: New Z370 FTW MB won't recognize older hard drives in BIOS or Windows 2018/10/10 10:23:19 (permalink)
    I hope some of this helps you out with your EVGA Z370 FTW Motherboard.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile