Author
fpdave100
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/18 15:38:11 (permalink)
First HI :-)
I'm new here

I purchased the EVGA 600W PSU to replace a (assumed) broken one that I had had for 4 years (a CIT 500W PSU).

I assumed the CIT PSU had broken as one day it was working fine, then when i came back to it the PC was frozen (but on), I turned it off and on again and nothing happened at all!
I mean no lights, no sounds!

Now, I’m getting the same with the new EVGA PSU, which I guess means its probably not the PSU!  And the EVGA PSU passes the paperclip test (ie the fan comes on)
But I've had several MB failures and they have usually resulted in some noises of some description, I seem to remember, but I could be wrong.

I've attempted to short the power switch, in case that is the problem - nothing
I've measured "power good" (gray) cable when its all plugged into the MB, and turned on, and reading is zero!

Any further things I can test, or should I assume its the MB?

Regards
David

2 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: New EVGA PSU passes paperclip test but nothing happens when plugged in to MB 2018/05/18 15:54:36 (permalink)
    I'd make sure that the 8pin EPS (not PCIe) connector is the one plugged into the motherboard. Also, I would remove the motherboard from the case, set it up for barebones booting (psu, mb, 1 stick memory, CPU and CPU cooler, and keyboard). Set the motherboard on a cardboard box or some other non-conductive surface and try turning it on.

At that point, if it still fails to turn on, then it's probably the motherboard.  If it turns on, then you may have just had a small short or grounding issue, which should be resolved when you put the motherboard back in the case.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: New EVGA PSU passes paperclip test but nothing happens when plugged in to MB 2018/05/18 16:02:39 (permalink)
    I had this happen with my most recent build. I had to reset the bios a few times and reseat the cables a few times to get it to work.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile