EVGA

New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day...

Author
nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2884
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2017/05/11 06:01:07 (permalink)
So I saw the news article on here last week about the release of the ASUS CM-32 AC2600 which is a cable modem and high end router.  Initially I set it up by contacting the ISP and registering it with them.  All was well for that first 24 Hours.  I could access the administration side of the router just fine and set up my Wi-Fi and passwords, had good internet connection throughout the house, and in general it just worked wonders over that piece of garbage they had me renting. 

We were still on the 30mb bandwidth package and we had previously discussed with our ISP about upgrading to the 100mb bandwidth package once we got our new modem/router and turned in the old hardware.  My wife took the hardware back yesterday and when she got home the net was not working.  I was thinking Ok sure they may have reset the CM-32 when they updated service.  When I go to check from my desktop to see what was up, the usual 192.168.1.1 address does not connect to the modem and it would either time out, or say something along the lines of "the port number has changed".  What was weird is that I couldn't access the CM-32 but still have internet connection. I went and did a hard reset.  Same issues.

I could connect to the internet just fine via hardwire LAN but any sort of connection via Wi-Fi, or connecting to the CM-32 admin GUI itself was not possible.  Pulling up ipconfig showed what looked like a completely different set of IP's from what they should be according to what ASUS has.  From what I could see, it was a different subnet mask, and a very different range of IPs that were being assigned(keep in mind that I am not a networking expert here) but what should be 192.168.1.1 for the DNS Gateway IP was now something like 75.XXX.XX.XX.  And trying to access any admin settings through that was not working.

I have called ASUS and my ISP.  It was pretty much to new of a unit for the ASUS tech to be of much help, beyond what I already looked at on the website, but they were as helpful as they could be.  The ISP tech made it worse, resulting in no net connection, followed by three hours of on the phone with them just to get it back to square one of the problem.  What it looks like to me is my ISP must have forced some sort of firmware update thinking I was for some reason still using their modem and it killed the ASUS Firmware, or somehow the entire router side of the CM-32 popped smoke and the modem managed to survive.

I have a new one on order from Newegg and set up a return for this current one.  +1 on Newegg for that.  But I just want to make sure that it wasn't my ISP who screwed it up in the first place because it seems very plausible they might have.  I don't want to have to keep replacing a $280 modem/router because my ISP doesn't know what they are doing, or if it's just early adopter issues.  Any ideas?

8 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/05/11 06:33:00 (permalink)
    Really seems like an odd one. Is the router on the list of approved ISP modems? I ran into that problem with Comcast a while back where the new Netgear modem wouldn't work because the ISP didn't have support for it yet.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/05/11 08:42:52 (permalink)
    They list the ASUS CM-32 so it should be good to go.  And like I said it was working when we used it for the 30mbps plan but they must have tried to update something when we switched the next day to the 100mbps plan.  Not entirely sure but that's when the issues started.
    post edited by nikkocortez - 2017/05/11 08:45:53
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/05/12 05:10:01 (permalink)
    sounds like they went in and made changes to your router side thinking you still had their router, i am assuming you installed returned the new router and upgraded your service pretty close to the same time so it didnt make it through their system that you had your own, the 75.xxx.xxx.xxx dns you are seeing is the isp dns server and you should only see that on the WAN side, i never use the isp DNS crap since its one more way for them to follow you on the net, use open dns or other free service instead. when you get your new one and contact them to register the new MAC address for it make sure the understand that it is your own modem/router. TW was bad for doing this.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/05/12 05:59:11 (permalink)
    Yeah.  That's what I was figuring happened.  New one should arrive today.  I will swap it out and hope that everything will go smoothly.  Hopefully Newegg will work with me on the other one.

Update:  Actually got a hold of a tech who knew what they were doing and he noticed the account got set up wrong when I upgraded my service.  Apparently when you rent one of their modem/router units you have to pay extra for the Wi-Fi capability.  They apparently put some code on my account disabling the wifi which blocked my access to my router and the modem just bridged through the LAN so it still provided net.  Since this was my own equipment and not theirs he took the code off and everything worked fine.
    post edited by nikkocortez - 2017/05/13 14:38:18
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/05/14 03:01:33 (permalink)
    nikkocortez
    Yeah.  That's what I was figuring happened.  New one should arrive today.  I will swap it out and hope that everything will go smoothly.  Hopefully Newegg will work with me on the other one.

Update:  Actually got a hold of a tech who knew what they were doing and he noticed the account got set up wrong when I upgraded my service.  Apparently when you rent one of their modem/router units you have to pay extra for the Wi-Fi capability.  They apparently put some code on my account disabling the wifi which blocked my access to my router and the modem just bridged through the LAN so it still provided net.  Since this was my own equipment and not theirs he took the code off and everything worked fine.

ahh yes, TW/spectrum pay for wifi scam. i personally think they should be flogged for charging for wifi.  tried that crap with me, even telling me i had to use it because no other one was better than theirs, i pointed to my HP dual bands and controller and said oh really, care to put money on it, the dude just had a blank stare on his face, the next week i swapped out their modem also. 
    post edited by quadlatte - 2017/05/14 03:05:35

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/05/15 09:29:42 (permalink)
    hahahaha yeah if 99% of their tech support wasn't reading off a tree I wouldn't have had to order a whole new unit.  The original CM-32 was good but I had no idea what was wrong.  Yeah their modem/router is pretty much junk.  I live in a 2500sf single floor house and the modem/router is on one side and it needs to pickup a desktop and tv on the opposite side.  Their unit just wasn't cutting it.  With all the new beam forming tech and crazy features coming out of companies like ASUS in this sector it just seemed like the way to go and just ditch the ISPs junk that I was paying for any ways.

The long term will tell if it was worth the hassle but so far the ASUS CM-32 AC2600 is working like a champ keeping up with four phones, three laptops, three desktops, and two smart TV's.
    Cronyx
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/08/20 20:54:02 (permalink)
    nikkocortez, How exactly was the ISP able to log into your device? Did you actually give them the administrator password for it? I'm just trying to make sense of this story.
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: New ASUS CM-32 AC2600... ISP may have bricked it after one day... 2017/08/22 09:23:57 (permalink)
    They bypassed my router some how.  They have a setting they enable for those who don't pay for wifi that disables the router and all the firmware associated with it.  It was a mistake on their end.  I wasn't paying for wifi because I own the modem and not renting one from them.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile