EVGA

Need to Add Linux

Author
dcbdbis
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/07/06 15:43:32 (permalink)
Currently running on W10, obtained a new software development project that requires linux. I am using a CLC-120 on a AMD Threadripper 1950. What will happen to the fan and the pump of my CLC when I boot linux? Especially when I put a load on the CPU?

And then - are they controllable? If so how?

Please advise,

Dave

9 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/07/06 18:06:40 (permalink)
    While the software to set up the CLC is Windows it saves to the Firmware of the CLC so from my understanding it should run fine. While a lot of people might not use Linux a lot mess around in the motherboard BIOS so it would be very bad to have Windows required to be running for the pump to work.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

dcbdbis
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/07/06 19:02:25 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply. I sincerely appreciate it. Previous projects that required linux had a lesser CPU on air with a fixed fan rate so I didn't have to worry.

I'll be monitoring the CPU temp with LM Sensors for sure.

While I need to run Linux for a particular project I was awarded, I will be dual-booting obviously. While Linux has a niche - it's just not as widely supported as say Apple or Windows.

Again, thank you for the post - I appreciate it. Better safe than sorry if you know what I mean!

Dave
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11071
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/07/06 19:29:38 (permalink)
    Can you run your program if Linux was running in a VM inside of windows? (virtual machine)

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

dcbdbis
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/07/07 08:40:26 (permalink)
    @bill1024,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I could indeed run what I need in a VM. But that is not my sole intent.

I want to migrate away from W10 as my primary platform. I abhor what MS has done to W10 to limit our abilities to control and customize it, and I abhor what systemd brought to the Linux table. In fact systemd caused me to leave Linux as my primary OS when SystemD got shoved down everyone's throat - including my clients who were on Linux. MX-Linux uses SysVInit - which means I can control my startup predictably, and I don't have some monolithic metastasizing poorly-written tumor under the hood of my linux system being driven by big brother (RedHat) who wants to control everything.

So there is more to the story than one lone paid project.

Dave
    jonasmalaco
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/09/13 07:53:41 (permalink)
    @dcbdbis, I want to help get the EVGA CLCs to work on Linux.  Can you work with me on this, since you have the device?
    post edited by jonasmalaco - 2018/09/13 07:56:01
    dcbdbis
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/09/13 07:59:19 (permalink)
    I am willing to BUT...I am NOT running Linux on real hardware so I can't. It would occasionally reset my pump and fan speeds to nill. So I put Linux (Manjaro and MX-Linux) in VirtualBox machines under Windows as a host. So I am not running Linux on real hardware.

Dave
    jonasmalaco
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/09/13 08:11:57 (permalink)
    That would not be an issue at first, or maybe ever.

I assume, from what I have seen with NZXT and Corsair, that the cooler either already uses the HID driver, or that it can be switched to use it.  So we should be able to test on the Windows host with libusb or by passing control of the device to a Linux VM.

I am thinking something on the lines of krakenx or liquidctl (both on GitHub; I made the second, and contribute back to the first).  Both are user-space tools: a user-facing tool is nice given the amount of options, and by not hooking directly to the kernel it is easier to have a single cross-platform implementation.  My plan would be to add EVGA CLC support to liquidctl.
    post edited by jonasmalaco - 2018/09/13 08:14:17
    dcbdbis
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/09/13 10:15:20 (permalink)
    I have an extra drive. I can put Linux on it to better test. As a developer myself, I have often found that a VM does not always act the same as hardware. So let me put on Manjaro later on today and we can start in earnest....I'd be glad to help.

When I dev for Linux, I usually use Code::Blocks as my IDE. C++ as my language, and wxWidgets as my object library. But I can flex to anything you need to be of assistance.

I'm older. 62. First language was assembler. Other languages: Formally trained in C then C++. And about 8 other smaller proprietary dialects specific to Building Automation. Current Windows project I'm doing for a client is using C#, and actually enjoying not having to stress as much about memory malloc/free and garbage collection. Although I miss the low-level control of C/C++.

Not to mention the sheer speed of a lower level language...But the client gets what the client wants.

I'm also a FreeBSD fan. Although they do not support AMDGPU well, even in 11.2. Version 12 though is supposed to fully integrate AMDGPU. We'll see.

I'll change my profile so you can PM me and we can exchange emails to get started...

Dave

EDIT: Profile updates. PM enabled.
    jonasmalaco
    Re: Need to Add Linux 2018/09/13 18:47:35 (permalink)
    Great, let's do it!

I still can't PM you (new user limitation), but here's my email: [removed].  I'll remove it in a bit, but you will have it in the notification you got by email.

---

I'm many years your junior: 31.  But I'm an old soul, and use Vim.

First program ever in Basic; first complex program in C.  These days most of the code I write is in a language called Haxe.  While I prefer strongly typed languages, I went with Python for liquidctl because I knew it would be good for prototyping and figuring out how to work with USB, which is something I hadn't done before.

Oh, and I'm also interested in kernel drivers.  Maybe later we could join that with your interest in FreeBSD and look into a kernel driver for it?

But I think we should start by extending liquidctl.
    post edited by jonasmalaco - 2018/09/13 18:50:16
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile