EVGA

Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display

Author
jdlever
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/16 18:24:37 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

I've had zero luck finding a replacement screen for a reasonable price for my EVGA SC17 laptop. I pulled the old screen, and the model number on the back is:
Sharp LQ173D1JW31B. The only option I've found thus far is something on ebay for $268...was really hoping to find one sub $200, but right now it doesn't look like they exist. I haven't been able to find a bezel either. I believe my model laptop is the SC17 970. Tried some of the SC17 screens on ebay, but apparently, the 970 screen is like 1mm longer than the 1070 screen or the replacement screen was just the wrong size. 

Anyways, I need a replacement screen and also the bezel/glass protective cover that goes over the top. Any help is much appreciated!!
post edited by jdlever - 2019/02/22 09:38:05

23 Replies Related Threads

xvga1
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/17 00:44:38 (permalink)
    What happened to your laptop?
    jdlever
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/19 23:35:01 (permalink)
    Thanks romania, but I finally found a screen on ebay. :) 

xvga1
    What happened to your laptop?

Sent it off for service, but didn't know if it was the laptop or power supply - so sent both in. By the time it got to EVGA, it looked like the package had been backed over by a forklift. The screen had been shattered so badly that bits of it had been pulverized into dust. After more than a month of hassling UPS about living up to their insurance policy and providing everything they needed to multiple people, multiple times - they finally sent me a check for the insured value. It was an absolute nightmare. 

Long story short, got the unrepaired laptop back from EVGA who wanted $500 to replace the screen. Found a cheap univ. power supply, and plugged it in. Was able to get the screen to show a picture that wasn't terrible, but you wouldn't want to use it long term the way it was. Ordered a replacement on ebay for $170, and tried to install it. As soon as I fired it up, I noticed 2 additional cracks in the new screen, so had to contact the seller to send a replacement (which they covered and put in a claim w/ USPS or UPS - forget which). Got the 2nd replacement screen from the ebay seller, and found out the d*** thing was like 1mm too long to fit in the lid. Apparently, there's a different screen size between the SC17 970 and SC17 1070 that I never even thought about. So that's going back to the seller who's been great throughout. I offered to cover the return since it was my mistake. Finally, got the sharp screen model number off the actual broken screen and found a screen in taiwan of all places (decent price too w/ fast shipping at $175). Just got done installing it, and getting ready to fire it up for the first time. Fingers and toes crossed, 6 four leaf clovers in my hat, and 18 horseshoes will hopefully make the 3rd replacement screen a charm. 

I still need to find the glass/protective cover for the actual screen. It'll be usable as it, but finding the screen protector w/ the EVGA logo at the bottom would be awesome - although that seems impossible to find. 

I've heard a lot grumblings about EVGA's support, but for my particular case they were pretty patient (when UPS took forever to fulfill their insurance obligations) and after just contacting them at the end of last week, they're sending a replacement power pack. So, baring any more cracks in the screen, if I can just find a dang screen protector, she'll be back to 100% and I can make this freakin acer I've been forced to use my newest boat anchor. 

If anybody knows where I can find a screen protector w/ the EVGA logo at the bottom (the part that's attached over the actual screen using adhesive) and/or the display ribbon for the SC17 970, please let me know. Thanks!!
    post edited by jdlever - 2019/02/21 23:41:16
    jdlever
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 01:36:10 (permalink)
    Well, I think this settles it. I'm officially cursed. I 'think' the new screen works. Fired it up and looked great EXCEPT for a 1 pixel wide pink line running down the left side of the screen.  Pretty sure the EDP display cable is the culprit. It would come and go if the wire was pressed more firmly against the connectors - of course, the more you F w/ something, the more you F it up. Couldn't get a clear picture on the screen despite multiple disconnect/reconnects of the EDP wire. Eventually lost the whole picture, so tried switching back to the old screen just to make sure it wasn't another bad screen. Old screen didn't work either. 

Just spent the last hour taking the whole thing apart. Of course, the way the cables are routed, you have to remove the back cover, then all the plastic pieces on the back and hinge cover...then the entire dual fan assembly...and now I have to find a new EVGA EDP 40-pin Display Cable...which of course doesn't seem to exist in the known universe.

There's got to be a generic cable for it since I can't find an OEM part, but I've got no idea what parts from another laptop might be interchangeable. The label reads HTK(KCA3) 40-pin. The laptop was outstanding when it actually worked, but sourcing replacement parts has been a friggin nightmare. It's like EVGA built 10 of these laptops then threw in the towel. 

If anyone needs me, I'll be contemplating all this on the tree of woe. *sigh*
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 01:56:17 (permalink)
    Would the UPS insurance check be enough to cover the quoted repair price $500 you mentioned from EVGA ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jdlever
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 02:06:32 (permalink)
    AlexSuru
    Good Day
    Aas it happens my Evga SC17 laptop with 980M graphix was busted so I have a 4K screen replacement. The only issue is that I'm from Romania so the transport would be quite expensive.

PM me if you'r interested

Hey Alex....I might be interested in that laptop after all. Tried to send a PM, but it says I don't have enough posts or whatever. Please email me the details and maybe we can work something out (jeffrey dot lever at g to the mail) thx!
    jdlever
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 02:12:13 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Would the UPS insurance check be enough to cover the quoted repair price $500 you mentioned from EVGA ?

Sure, but you have to remember I'm cursed. I'm pretty sure my warranty has lapsed since I got it just after the start of last year. Not to mention, I'm sure the guys in the warranty repairs dept would love me, lol. Last time, they emailed me about every other day asking if I wanted to do the repairs (which I couldn't say yes to since UPS left me hanging for over a month). Eventually, I just had them ship it back since I couldn't give them an answer. I'd be their new favorite customer if I shipped them the laptop in its current condition in about a hundred pieces
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 02:22:34 (permalink)
    Contact EVGA & Ask

Please remember that Sales outside of Marketplace is against the EVGA Terms of Use

Buying/Selling/Trading - Buying, trading, or selling anywhere with the exception of the Marketplace is prohibited. EVGA Corporation is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the Marketplace.  You can find the Marketplace here - link.  If you cannot gain access to the Marketplace see here - link.  The Marketplace TOS, which is an additional TOS for buying/selling/trading, can be found here - link (can be viewed once access to the marketplace is granted.)

How to apply for the EVGA Marketplace? 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

AlexSuru
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 03:27:04 (permalink)
    Good Day

All the links are leading to EVGA main website. Access to marketplace from my account blocked.

my email is , my account on EVGA forums was created long time ago so I don't understand why I'm limited to main forum only?

The marketplace admin was last online 6 (six) DAYs ago!

anyway thanks for the info
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display w B 2019/02/20 03:45:45 (permalink)
    AlexSuru
    Good Day

All the links are leading to EVGA main website. Access to marketplace from my account blocked.

my email is , my account on EVGA forums was created long time ago so I don't understand why I'm limited to main forum only?

The marketplace admin was last online 6 (six) DAYs ago!

anyway thanks for the info

How to apply for the EVGA Marketplace? 
    You do Not have the Required 50 posts

Go to the General discussions section, plenty of opportunity to earn Quality Posts ---> "During the approval process, your posts will be reviewed,"

This is Not a 5 min process it takes days to get approved

(excerpt)

Requirements to apply:  You must be a member in good standing with more that 50 posts on the forums.  These post cannot be spam or bumps of any kind.  Your posts must have substance.  During the approval process, your posts will be reviewed, and if they do not meet the requirements, we will ask you to reapply once you have more posts.

cc3475
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2019/06/25 19:34:52 (permalink)
    I'm having a similar problem. Need a "bezel" and a monitor. Were you able to find the bezel?
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2019/06/25 22:52:17 (permalink)
    I don't know about the bezels, but when I used to repair monitors for people, very few ask anymore since they are so cheap, I used to use these guys for all the parts. https://www.ccflwarehouse.com/  They are very good at what they do and you can def put your full faith in them, they pretty much have everything and at decent prices. These guys manufacture alot of the parts themselves also.
    EDIT: I just looked through the site and it looks like they don't sell actual screens anymore, just all the guts and parts. You may be able to custom order something with them but I doubt it will be cheap, sorry guys.

post edited by wmmills - 2019/06/25 23:01:58

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    jdlever
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2019/06/26 14:52:52 (permalink)
    cc3475
    I'm having a similar problem. Need a "bezel" and a monitor. Were you able to find the bezel?

I didn't find jack. Amazing that a $.10 cable can make a $1800 laptop worthless. I haven't checked recently, and might give it one more shot before throwing the towel in and parting the laptop out. Even the engineers at EVGA were totally worthless in locating a replacement cable...and they're the one's that supposedly designed the **** thing.. On top of that, I was promised a new power pack (the original cause of the entire fiasco) that NEVER arrived. Definitely one of the worst purchase decisions I've ever made, but the stats on the laptop looked too good to pass on for the price. If I'd have known what a major PITA the laptop would become 5 months after unboxing it, I wouldn't have wasted my time. 

I ultimately ended up reporting the entire thing to consumer affairs and would recommend other's do so as well as I have heard a lot of negative things about the SC17 - mainly with the power packs...but the fact that you can't find a simple display cable replacement part shows just how poorly planned EVGA's products really are. Hopefully, other's will learn from my mistake. 

If I find a bezel, I'll let you know. The only thing I've considered that might work at this point is either to piece one together on my 3D printer or maybe carve out some plexiglass using a dremel...of course the time involved to do all that sounds like as much fun as going to the dentist. Which goes to show you just how brilliant the designers of the SC17 are. If anything is going to break on a laptop over the long haul - it's the screen. What kind of genius designs a permanently adhered bezel that makes screen replacement impossible unless you destroy the bezel getting it out of the freaking case?! 

....it still freakin makes me mad. Never again, EVGA...NEVER_AGAIN
    post edited by Sajin - 2019/06/26 16:36:49
    vistarshook
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 344
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2019/07/25 10:21:30 (permalink)
    Real Bummer, my screen went bonkers....
    I have one month of warranty left but I live in Brazil, so it is unlikely I will manage to get the machine to the US in time.
    The Bezel removal looks really hard, perhaps a method like on the imac or tablets? using heat and suction to remove it and get to the screen?
    I  do think it is the EDP cable, and not the screen itself.....so I am holding off buying the replacement screen just yet, since it  will cost $270 to have sent it here to Brazil. I don't want to spend that before I am sure it is not just the cable.
    If nothing works, oh well, live and learn...never buy models from new brands entering the market, in EVGA's case it didn't even try and hang in there.  Replacement parts are a big issue when purchasing an expensive laptop that no one else has.

I could just use the GTX1080  hooked up to a g sync monitor, which defeats the purpose of a notebook, but hey....at least it will work as permanent desktop replacement.

I will update if I manage to remove the bezel and replace the cable or screen.

post edited by vistarshook - 2019/07/25 10:26:22

Attached Image(s)

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
    Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

vistarshook
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2019/08/16 13:46:16 (permalink)
    Update: My attempt to remove the glass protector screen was not successfull, way too much glue on the bottom part with the black band and logo and very thin, just like tempered glass screen protectors for phones.....so it cracked pretty easily.  

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
    Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

vistarshook
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2019/08/17 13:28:34 (permalink)
    The issue with my screen was not the EDP cable but a ribbon in the bottom front of the LCD panel.  A little pressure on the ribbon and the issue is resolved.  Unfortunately the tempered glass bezel screen protector cracked, but at least now I have a working monitor. One good side effect is that the screen's colors are a lot nicer than with the matte bezel.   

xvga1
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/05/10 10:16:13 (permalink)
    vistarshook
    Update: My attempt to remove the glass protector screen was not successfull, way too much glue on the bottom part with the black band and logo and very thin, just like tempered glass screen protectors for phones.....so it cracked pretty easily.  

Hey, would you be kind enough to share any tips for removing the glass protector? Do you recommend using heat gun? Where did you even start? I don't see any screws on the LCD panel. 
    vistarshook
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/05/10 16:22:41 (permalink)
    the glass protector is very thin like a tempered glass protector on a phone, so very very difficult to remove without cracking.  I am just glad I managed to replace the screen so the glass protector is the least of my worries.  The notebook is still in use every day.  At the moment using it as a desktop replacement with an external 144hz gsync compatible monitor , keyboard and mouse.

xmodrelic
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/12/22 12:41:50 (permalink)
    Please help, my sc17 1070 has a loose lcd cable but I cannot get to the back of the screen to fix it.

From the very few posts Ive found on this laptop it seems impossible to remove the bezel without cracking it. So before I break it anymore I could really use some advice.

1) Where is the glue? Is it across the whole lcd screen or just the edges? I read its heavy on the bottom but Im not sure what that means. (Don't want to break the lcd screen removing the bezel).

2) would it be possible to Dremel a break line below the lcd in order to break the bezel away in a clean cut and access the lcd screws? Where exactly are these screw locations? Ideally Id want to dremel around these screw positions, chip out the glass bezel without sending crack out into the screen then pry the rest of the screen out.

3) is there anything else attached to the bezel? Im concerned about the camera and mic.

4) say I shatter the bezel how hard is it to clean up the lcd screen? I really don’t want to spend $300 on a replacement screen for a laptop with no bezel and apparently no manufacturer support.

At minimum I want to save the screen, I can live without the bezel, Id like to try and save some of the bezel if possible. Im just not sure what it looks like in there so any advice from anyone whose gotten inside would be really helpful.

Thank you!
    vistarshook
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/12/22 17:05:55 (permalink)

If you are very carefull, perhaps it is possible to remove the whole tempered glass without cracking....but the bottom is really glue heavy.  I had no success, but also only had one chance. It seems that it was never meant to replace just the lcd screen, under warranty they would replace the whole top, I believe.  Some pictures for you to see how it looks now, hope it helps. Good luck.

https://imgur.com/a/HU4NSwo

xmodrelic
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/12/23 08:10:37 (permalink)
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for... One thing, is there glue directly on the LCD or is it just the edges? 
    vistarshook
    iCX Member
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/12/23 09:27:15 (permalink)
    There is no glue on the lcd itself, just on the bezel.

xmodrelic
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/12/23 09:31:24 (permalink)
    Thanks again.  Ill update the thread with my success/failure.
    xmodrelic
    Re: Need help finding replacement screen - SC17 w/ Sharp LQ173D1JW31B 17.3" 4k display 2020/12/31 07:36:00 (permalink)
    First thanks again for the help....

Total failure, I tried pealing the matte off and using it kinda like a suction cup, the bottom middle popped clean so it gave me confidence to pull a bit but eventually the glass cracked. I wish I used a heat gun. What a PITA to clean up that glass.

Anyway there was no fix, the loose connections were internal and eventually I killed the screen entirely.

I removed the lid and attempted to use the base as a stand alone with external monitor but apparently it would not log in without the EDP monitor hooked up.

So I need a screen. Will any generic 17.3 inch eDP 40pin? Id be happy for the moment to have a cheap 1080p screen in there, direct replacements are $300 if they’re even in stock.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile