Helpful ReplyNeed Help, 2 Questions about Ram and GPU's

Author
Lan019
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2023/01/24 13:04:41 (permalink)
Howdy all, it's been a while since I've needed a hand with my PC. I'm having some issues now since the 700series cards are no longer getting support. With the launch of Dragonflight my PC of 9 years has I think hit a wall as far as performance. I'm running a EVGA x58 Classified 3 with a EVGA GTX 770 SC and getting lag and stuttering in game a lot. Temps are stable but I've basically turned off or set everything to low as possible to play in the graphics settings.

My questions I have 2 . 

Q-1. I'm running in 3 way Corsair Vengeance Ram / 12GB's  DDDR3 1600 timings 9-9-9-24, Q: I wondering if it's possible for me to toss in my spare 3 sticks of Gskill Ripjaws at the same timings to boost memory or can you not run 2 different brands of Ram ?

Q-2. About my GPU, since the 700 series wont be getting anymore support now. I was wondering since I do have a x58 Classified 3 Motherboard which itself is outdated, What would be a Low - Mid - and Top Teir GPU Replacement that would be compatible with my Motherboard and a EVGA G3 850W PSU. 

Been trying to figure this out but its been hard. Trying to squeeze out another year with this old gal. She's done me proud surviving this long. Just wish I could afford to build a new PC but times are tough lol. Thanks for the help all!

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Need Help, 2 Questions about Ram and GPU's 2023/01/24 16:28:56 (permalink)
X58 were killer & are showing their age in games

OS = W7 64 bit ? (your signature)

Use a better cooler for the CPU & push that puppy

install your OS & most used software on a SSD, 500 GB to 1 TB are cheap, you will see a BIG difference

Q1)  if your using a 64 bit OS you can try - though your performance might not be the best, may have to loosen the timing & go to a bigger CAS latency

Basic RAM Guide (credit Asus)

・When installing a memory kit, please adhere to the DIMM slot priority cited in the Memory installation section of the product manual.

・Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

・The stability and compatibility of XMP memory kits that operate beyond the JEDEC standard is not guaranteed because it can be affected by the capabilities of the CPU’s integrated memory controller, installed devices, and the operating frequency of associated bus domains.

・Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimal compatibility, we recommend that you install memory modules of the same version or date code (D/C) from the same vendor. Check with the retailer to get the correct memory modules.

・The default DIMM frequency depends on its Serial Presence Detect (SPD), which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value. To set the rated speed of the kit, please select XMP(Intel)/D.O.C.P(AMD) or apply manual settings.

・When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

Q2)  1080, 1080TI ---> More performance & they will pull less Watts   or maybe a 2060 Super

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Lan019
iCX Member
Re: Need Help, 2 Questions about Ram and GPU's 2023/01/24 18:26:32 (permalink)
@ CoolGTX , Thanks for the information. I'm using a 500GB Intel SSD and have Windows 10 64bit Home now my sig is old. My CPU is watercooled I was considering a OC on my CPU. I've seen someone say they had a 4.0 stable for my i7 960 bloomfield. 

I'll see if I can snag another 12gb of 3way Vengeance to get me to 24gb total on ram. I was considering the 1000 series and their prices aren't to bad for a quick upgrade. 

Thanks this helped a lot!

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11105
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Need Help, 2 Questions about Ram and GPU's 2023/01/24 20:31:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/01/26 08:19:09
I had a couple x58 classified3 boards, I ran Xeon x5660 CPU and an easy OC to 4ghz 
Those 6 core Xeons can be had now for under 10$ on ebay. Extra 2 cores can help.
x5690 were under 30$, I found the 5660 hit 4ghz just as easy really and was a lot less$.
But now the prices are crazy low so....
Here is a 970x six core for 40$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/...7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_DX6_K8YQ

Also I found three sticks were no better than two so I ran 2x8gb for 16gb in two channel mode. Much cheaper than trying to find a three stick set. Two sticks will overclock better than six and be a less load on the memory controller.
Running primegrid memory intensive, two channel or three channel ram made no difference for some reason.

Maybe shoot for a used 1080Ti,  2080 or 2080Ti. Can always move the GPU to a new MB combo if you upgrade one day.  Not sure what your budget is. 
But a six core xeon -10$ and a used 1080ti would hold you over for a while longer.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Lan019
iCX Member
Re: Need Help, 2 Questions about Ram and GPU's 2023/01/25 03:40:18 (permalink)
@bill1024 , Thanks for this! This gives me more ideas to try to upgrade without breaking the bank lol. Life been rough so can't really go out and buy all the parts for my new saved build with a 900 D case. I think the running total is somewhere in the $6,000 mark its a dream build with all that new hardtube water cooling and a 2 motherboard 2 PSU setup. Have 6 27" monitors for either a Portrait or Landscape setups for Surround its for streaming / recording. Totally not needed since I don't do much of either. But like my current build I spent a lot of $ up front to make my PC last 10+ years without any huge issues or upgrades till now. I consider it an investment well that's what I keep telling myself, I just love building new rigs lol kind of an addiction.

Anyways Thanks again for the help!

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Need Help, 2 Questions about Ram and GPU's 2023/01/26 08:20:16 (permalink)
bill covered the other CPU options really well

Glad I could also help

Time to start shopping

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile