NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism

Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2018/03/10 19:56:08 (permalink)

Affiliate programs in the hardware and any, industry are nothing new. Nvidia, at the start of March, launched a new Geforce Partner Program, however, is causing a stir, allegations now have risen that Nvidia wants to exclusively bind companies and brands to GeForce.

So a story broke earlier yesterday at hardocp, I was out all day and decided to post this a little later as I wanted to dig a little deeper into the implications and accusations. So, let's start by saying this, the sources of the story that broke over there, all have chosen to remain anonymous. But considering the relationship that they have with AMD the last year (Owner Bennett has even been presenting at recent AMD conferences), it is AMD that instigated this story and fed the story to them (as is now reported in their coverage). One thing they mention seems a bit inconsistent (as far as we can check), AMD has not been 'shopping' this story to other websites as far as we know it. Guru3D and other media (I checked with a couple) certainly have not heard from AMD on or about this matter. That said, if the story is correct, the sources do not even matter, as it is a gnarly thing which needs to be shared by media in an effort to get some exposure.

The culprit; once partners join the GPP program, the partner company now has to have its "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce." E.g. Intel and AMD would become persona non-grata for the partners that sign up with Nvidia. So the Gigabyte, MSI or ASUSes out there would exclusively work with NVIDIA, and cannot work with not AMD or Intel. It thus looks like that Nvidia plays its cards, but not the way they are meant to be played. Nvidia gives it partners a choice, you can choose to not opt into the program as a partner. However, here’s where certain tactics come into play if a company does not sign up for the program, they will miss out on things like the following:
  • High-effort engineering engagements
  • Early tech engagement
  • Launch partner status
  • Game bundling
  • Sales rebate programs
  • Social media and PR support
  • Marketing reports
  • Marketing Development Funds (MDF)
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia%E2%80%99s-new-geforce-partner-program-under-criticism.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/03/08/report-alleges-new-nvidia-program-engages-in-monopolistic-anti-consumer-practices/#11581f2c2241 

https://wccftech.com/nvidias-geforce-partner-program-allegedly-engages-in-anti-consumer-practices/ 

----------------------- 

i don't see a problem with this because partners can leave the program at any time just lose the preferred benefits
and you can sell both cards then

why should you get preferred benefits when you are not exclusive?

as some one put it

"This story is kind of strange. First it seems to be illegal what Nvidia is proposing. Second, if partners are smart, all they have to do to is agree no to enter GPP, this way no company is going to be benefited or hurt by this "program". Third, the story was brought up by AMD, Fishy to say the least..."

Key Disclosures: NVIDIA has completely denied on-the-record the existence of all anti-consumer practices alleged in the report and have stated while the program exists, there are no MDFs/discounts/priority allocation associated with aligning a gaming brand exclusively with NVIDIA. In the interest of complete disclosure and transparency I will also mention that AMD reached out to me stating that they had received tip-offs from multiple partners who stated (on the condition of anonymity) that the program existed a few weeks back.
The initial information provided to me seemed very interesting so I picked up the thread and reached out to some of my contacts and do my due diligence. Unfortunately pretty much any OEM/AIB I reached out to refused to talk about GPP on-the-record and only one AIB, on the condition of anonymity, hinted at the existence of the program. Armed with just one anonymous record and NVIDIA’s complete denial, it was hard to roll out an unbiased piece, but it looks like Kyle has had a lot better luck than us (and elbow grease!) and has done enough legwork to finally move forward with a fleshed out story.

from [H] forums
The problem here is people are calling foul, without understanding the reasons for why AMD pushed this to the public, AMD fears this program, for good reason, it will utterly decimate their gaming brand name. They have no recourse because their products can't match up against nV and its going to be worse in the coming months.

https://hardforum.com/threads/geforce-partner-program-impacts-consumer-choice.1955963/

basically there is nothing illegal and nV did there job consulting lawyers when they did this

and AMD is PO'd because they will get shafted more  - because there cards can't compete

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2018/03/10 21:09:21

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

19 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/10 21:05:56 (permalink)
    Oh wow!  Massive fines incoming...

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 05:04:51 (permalink)
    Interesting story...

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 07:42:46 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

For what?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 07:48:52 (permalink)
    kram36
    GTXJackBauer

For what?

It is against US law and EU law to exclude competitors in any specific agreements.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 08:01:03 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if this turns out to be true. Nvidia has done some shady stuff in the past.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 08:38:51 (permalink)
    NVIDIA needs to be careful especially if they have any such agreements in the EU. If you recall the EU fined Intel a huge amount of money for making agreements which specifically excluded AMD.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 09:17:40 (permalink)
    There is nothing here in this information to suggest any fowl play. There are exclusivity contracts in every industry in the US and EU, no matter what others mentioned above. They are not demanding it, just saying, as most legal exclusivity agreements do, if you (a specific person or company) decide to be exclusive you get these benefits. Totally voluntary, as it is not demanded in the contract with GPP since you can get GPP without those benefits. It just seemed like fake news to me when a competitor calls a person in media to give them a story which cannot be verified and only sites anonymous sources.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 10:44:18 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    There is nothing here in this information to suggest any fowl play. There are exclusivity contracts in every industry in the US and EU, no matter what others mentioned above. They are not demanding it, just saying, as most legal exclusivity agreements do, if you (a specific person or company) decide to be exclusive you get these benefits. Totally voluntary, as it is not demanded in the contract with GPP since you can get GPP without those benefits. It just seemed like fake news to me when a competitor calls a person in media to give them a story which cannot be verified and only sites anonymous sources.

Exactly and it seems some of you missed this part.

basically there is nothing illegal and nV did there job consulting lawyers when they did this

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 11:37:00 (permalink)
    I don't see the issue with this. If 3rd parties want additional advertising, support, and other benefits from Nvidia they have to sell Nvidia. Why would Nvidia put up additional resources for companies that sell competitor's products? As previously mentioned this type of additional benefits for exclusivity isn't abnormal, hell, AMD does it as well with their game bundles and interactions with game developers.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/11 23:04:34 (permalink)
    So, someone didnt get their cut and called foul ball...

No different from the way the U.S> is ran....
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/17 13:33:04 (permalink)
    I'm curious, if nVidia is going to start giving special treatment (like EVGA gets) to companies that sell both nVida and AMD based videos cards by signing up for the GPP. Will EVGA be free to start making AMD based video cards?
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/17 17:04:36 (permalink)
    kram36
    I'm curious, if nVidia is going to start giving special treatment (like EVGA gets) to companies that sell both nVida and AMD based videos cards by signing up for the GPP. Will EVGA be free to start making AMD based video cards?

How long have you been here now? I'll let you answer your own question.      ;)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/17 17:34:18 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    kram36

I think EVGA would be more then happy to make money from selling AMD based video cards if everyone else that sells both nVidia and AMD based video cards signs up for the GPP and gets the same benefits as EVGA does.

Actually it would be a bad business move not to also sell AMD based video cards if it makes no difference in the benefits EVGA gets from nVidia as say ASUS would get.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/17 17:41:41 (permalink)
    kram36
    XrayMan
    kram36

I think EVGA would be more then happy to make money from selling AMD based video cards if everyone else that sells both nVidia and AMD based video cards signs up for the GPP and gets the same benefits as EVGA does.

Actually it would be a bad business move not to also sell AMD based video cards if it makes no difference in the benefits EVGA gets from nVidia as say ASUS would get.

Let's see what happens then. I just won't hold my breath. Will be turning blue in no time.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/18 02:16:19 (permalink)
    Kitguru explained it better

much ado about nothing and kyle [H] has not quite got this right

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/03/18 07:47:06 (permalink)
    I already figured out AMD just went whining to the press until someone ran with the story to try and give nVidia bad press. If it was illegal, they would not have shopped it around to the press, but to antitrust lawyers.

I'm more curious about other companies like ASUS getting the same benefits as EVGA, but they sell both AMD and nVidia based video cards.

What really ticks me off are people reporting off of Kyle's story and spinning it to look worse then how Kyle already spun it. There are people out there saying nVidia is telling any company that signs up for the GPP can no longer make any AMD video cards.

Direct time link to KitGuru's video on GPP. https://youtu.be/W2qybJz2x6k?t=4m56s
    post edited by kram36 - 2018/03/18 08:04:20
    SneakyBrian
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/04/09 22:09:06 (permalink)
    I love Nvidia but they can say whatever they want, that is anticonsumer practices to limit the gaming brand of a company selling both only to Nvidia if they choose to opt in
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/04/09 22:29:53 (permalink)
    The real question is since 2000 to 2018 how many years has AMD had the best graphics card on the market? I wonder if AMD is feeling like there is a lockout by NVIDIA because 3rd parties are not interested in the new cards because they lack the track record.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: NVIDIA’s New GeForce Partner Program Under Criticism 2018/04/09 22:32:04 (permalink)
    SneakyBrian
    I love Nvidia but they can say whatever they want, that is anticonsumer practices to limit the gaming brand of a company selling both only to Nvidia if they choose to opt in

It is not anti consumer, nVidia just wants a separation of their cards from AMD cards. This is smart on nVidia's part. There is no reason to have companies using the same moniker for both brands. There should not be both a ASUS Strix RX 580 and a ASUS Strix GTX 1070. It confuses consumers into thinking since they are both under the same moniker they are in the same performance category.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile