EVGA

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash Rate

Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2021/04/15 04:10:39 (permalink)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash Rate In Cryptocurrency Mining Algorithms

In a report by HKEPC (via Igor's Lab), it is reported that NVIDIA is already working on a brand new version of the GA106 GPU. This new GPU will be known as GA106-302 and will replace the existing GA106-300 GPU featured on the GeForce RTX 3060 graphics card. The primary reason to produce this brand new GPU is to restrict cryptocurrency miners from unlocking the full mining hash-rate capabilities of the graphics card.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ga106-302-gpu-once-again-limit-hash-rate-cryptocurrency-mining-algorithms/

-----------------------------------------------

again this won't work ETH is able to bypass the limiter with a new Algorithm coming soon they were gong to introduce it very soon but now may wait - seeing their are bypasses already

second - you can't pick what coins you don't gimp and only 1 you do
this would be a SEC violation - using your power as a monopoly to effective lyundermine someone else's business - you can't pick winners and losers..ie who can run software on your product when you openly sourced the cuda for anyone to use
to develop software to use the cards whatever way you want - their are more sinister things that  can be done with the cards like breaking crypto, spying, media tampering (which involve altering pics,audio,video for criminal means)
yet Nvidia does nothing here because you are not the police force and cannot police what you can do with your hardware

so why pic on only 1 business model and not anyone else - and only 1 E coin (ETH)when their are various ETH coins

that includes business and scientific research
if your saying apple does this - not they limit whats on apple store - - so some software you have to get other ways other websites - yes you can get apps from somewhere else....you can install whatever you like on a apple phone including switch to android

once you own your product you can do whatever you want with it 

nvidia is changing this mantra

imagine if they made a too broad limiter that now limited legitimate research software - encoding software, or cryptography software use to product documents, HD's - communications
so other businesses and universities and now gimped - class action suit coming

as far as im concerned they are breaking SEC rules and the law doing this

look the way to solve this is to make a 4th type of chip from Nvidia - basically a mining asic

its a gpu without tensor or RTX cores, video compression or playback - - - a basic GPU with monitor ports so you can resell later to gamers - since they don't have all the extras stuff - not a great resell later on when they get put back into the regular gaming market
but its better than ewaste

make it so it mines better than your GPU's at lower cost and power consumption this will alleviate demand on gaming cards

however with silicon shortages - any card worth mining on is gonna be bought - so this is not gonna be fixed for gamers til the silcon shortage ends 
and that won't happen til we have 2x the fab space we have now - and that takes time to build.... not anytime soon

this is what happens when monopolies scale back fabs to cut costs and  keep prices high
just like opec does for oil - cut supply to make oil price rise and make more $$ while trimming fat off your bottom line

this is what happens when you let the number of fab companies shrink as well and don't use your power to control monopolistic behavior

and addin covid and trade wars with china who supplies most of the raw materials for Silicon - let alone how much silicon production they have and bar them

trade wars and hostilities between nations is not gonna help things

you wanna fix this issue we have to fix the behavior at home in our own markets
start planning and making it policy to do things at home and to use the power of the SEC to monitor and control monopolies

we got here by being complacent at home and offshoring manufacturing elsewhere as well as offshoring of resources

china holds a lot of power and a lot of US debt - till you wean yourself from debt  you will be in a pickle

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/04/15 04:35:22

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

21 Replies Related Threads

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/15 04:56:54 (permalink)
    Policy might get out of this, but Capitalism got us into it.  Consumers also are responsible in this.  No company would offshore their product if the consumer stopped buying it.  This is complex, but market efficiency is not always the best at things like this.  We blame policy for this while we let companies do as they wish because we just saved a nickel on it.  Great.  Consumers can do more  about this than anyone else, but unfortunately, we are spineless.
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/16 18:42:58 (permalink)
    The bubble will pop eventually and a lot of people will lose a pile

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Jhenke
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/16 22:16:10 (permalink)
    Why do they do this with the 3060 the 3080 or 3060 ti need it
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/17 02:41:40 (permalink)
    veganfanatic

I thought that about 2017 but it got to about $20K went burst and went down to $5K but if you held onto Bitcoin then a couple years later it’s up to $61,000. Normally when you have a bubble burst that is the end of it.

I always assumed that it would crash and die out but so far it hasn’t. Guess we will have to see what happens in the future.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/18 02:39:25 (permalink)
    We live in a crazy time where a company will market that they're willfully crippling their products in an attempt to virtue signal why someone should buy something that there is no stock of.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/18 03:23:42 (permalink)
    Personally I think NVIDIA's monetary resources could be better spent. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/18 06:55:14 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    veganfanatic

I thought that about 2017 but it got to about $20K went burst and went down to $5K but if you held onto Bitcoin then a couple years later it’s up to $61,000. Normally when you have a bubble burst that is the end of it.

I always assumed that it would crash and die out but so far it hasn’t. Guess we will have to see what happens in the future.

Yep. The people that kept mining since 2017 had a growing pile of almost worthless coin turn into a pretty penny. Even when there's another bust cycle it means more people will continue to mine afterwards waiting to ride the next boom. In fact more people will play it like a stock market, and buy when it's low expecting another rebound. Anyone with a degree in accounting or finance will recognize the same behavior seen in various stock markets and investment schemes throughout the last 200 years... it's human nature, and human nature unfortunately isn't going to change by much in our lifetimes. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Ethrem
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/18 07:11:59 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    We live in a crazy time where a company will market that they're willfully crippling their products in an attempt to virtue signal why someone should buy something that there is no stock of.

It is more than Nvidia wants to make money on a miners with their dedicated mining cards that become useless e-waste than Nvidia wanting to do anything for gamers.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/18 07:30:06 (permalink)
    Consumer protection laws might come to bear

you can't have some people have cards that run 100% full on older cards but 50% on newer ones
    when they are physically and practically the same silicon in reality

consumer protection laws should kick in - saying you can't do that

some one with a new 3090 goes "why does my card mine 50% less than that person over there with an older and original one?"

lawsuits lawsuits, FTC,SEC violations - hampering legitimate businesses
    mining cryptocurrency is legal in North America

why not make the new cards for gamers but make the older versions too and let people choose which ones they want
    like make the 3060 and 3055 (with gimp) 3070 and 3065(with gimp) 3080 and 3075(with gimp)  3090 and 3085(with gimp)
    gimped card is cheaper too

quite honestly gimping really doesn't make a difference right now

it so good that miner will buy up the gimped stuff - because that's good enough rather than by the CMP cards(oh!! they will be bought up too buy when they can't find reg cards)

gimping is not gonna help and is not a solution to the problem

what you need to do is go after sites that allow scalping - and all tech companies say we won't sell to you if you allow scalping
    end of a business model if your website can't get parts to sell

and fix the Point of Sales systems 

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/04/18 07:32:22

revenantx02
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 1457
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/18 09:27:08 (permalink)

Artax Nighteven
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/19 05:03:44 (permalink)
    Ethrem
    Brad_Hawthorne

It is more than Nvidia wants to make money on a miners with their dedicated mining cards that become useless e-waste than Nvidia wanting to do anything for gamers.

this

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/19 17:07:59 (permalink)
    why buy cmp when you can buy 3060 with gimp and have 3yr Warranty vs 3months - it's more efficient than the turing cmp - so less power usage and there is better resale value later vs none
    and the cmp card is more expensive

at least there is a chance to unlock the 3000series - at minimum you have the same hash rate with a cheaper and better card with warranty

it's been a bad/terrible rollout from the get go

you only buy CMP cards because "YOU CAN"T GET REGULAR 3000 SERIES CARDS" (At least they are hard to come by)
    because you need to mine on something

Artax Nighteven
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/20 00:22:15 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    why buy cmp when you can buy 3060 with gimp and have 3yr Warranty vs 3months - it's more efficient than the turing cmp - so less power usage and there is better resale value later vs none

at least there is a chance to unlock the 3000series - at minimum you have the same hash rate with a cheaper and better card with warranty

you only buy CMP cards because "YOU CAN"T GET REGULAR 3000 SERIES CARDS" (At least they are hard to come by)

that's why they are putting hardware limits on the new 30xx
    Ethrem
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/20 06:32:39 (permalink)
    Artax Nighteven
    Xavier Zepherious

that's why they are putting hardware limits on the new 30xx

Which will get cracked again quick.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/20 18:24:50 (permalink)
    cracked again quick??? - it's already done.... i think
    ETH  had silently reworked the algorithm during the time they hatched the new cards
    it was supposed to be introduced soon the bypass the gimp and act like the other coins that aren't gimped

sometime this month or next is the change
    so what good is it to put a gimp in when the software can be changed to bypass detection

Nvidia news - Nvidia claims only 2-6% of cards are going to mining

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/04/20 18:47:28

driam
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 160
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/20 20:15:47 (permalink)
    A friend of mine actually mines, nothing crazy. I was against them until I actually talked to someone that mines and learned more about crypto, cool stuff! Cryptocurrency is finite, you can not just keep on printing more and more devaluing them like paper money, thus crypto can hold value by only having a set amount of keys in the wild (from what I have gathered with some research). 

Let people use the hardware to mine 100% with out a limiter, because more than likely you are only going to hinder the "little" guy that wants to do it as a hobby with a few cards not the mega farms that can afford to get around it (after killing a few cards modifying, or let Nvidia release a beta driver lol...)
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/20 22:36:20 (permalink)
    I'm all for this, and its market segmentation, i just wish they'd cripple all coins on it, the truth is the GPU in a quadro is the same in a geforce, but the geforce is much slower than the quadro at professional workloads, no one screamed its anti competative, I'm 100% behind Nvidia locking miners into mining cards or into Quadros. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/29 22:45:08 (permalink)
    I don't like the fact they are apparently borking the GPU so it doesn't mine which I understand the frustrations in the room for months now but will this affect other things other than gaming say for rendering, folding@home, science, etc?  People will be paying top dollar and won't be able to do what they used to do with their GPUs it feels or at least I hope not.  Hell, if a actual gamer wants to mine on the side, let them.

At the end of the day, it's a supply issue and I'm sure the big boys knew and saw this coming from miles away.  We all knew the auto industry was going all EV/Hybrid, more generation of gamers entering the field which I feel hasn't stopped growing and for decades to come, all age groups using some type of silicon whether it's for phones, tablets, school, work, cars, senior living, etc.  Saw a GM plant with a parking lot filled with what looked like finished production vehicles but were unfinished waiting for their silicon on back order.  What happens if those vehicles don't sell in time?  Az fab enough?  I think not.  It's a global shortage.  Ah yes, queue raising price cause of supply and demand scheme.  It takes 5 years to build a state of the art fab facility.  How many start ups will suffer from this that could have been revolutionary while the competitive big boys wave passing by? 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    henrickd
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/30 00:36:21 (permalink)
    The only thing this mining limiter will achieve (assuming it remains in place, which is quite unlikely) is to cause the value of the older cards to skyrocket, while the new cards keep selling at around the same value. People have tons of disposable income and will throw it at anything with any degree of scarcity. The only way to reduce demand on cards for mining is to release a ton of hashrate in the wild, which will increase the mining difficulty and make rewards lower for everyone. Then you might have miners who got into the game late panic sell their cards since they won't hit ROI any time soon.

Unfortunately this isn't happening due to the semiconductor shortage.
    Zixinus
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/30 05:02:20 (permalink)
    The one thing that this tells us is that this is a more serious effort than just a PR campaign (as I saw a lot of people saying in the past). Nvidia is trying. Sure, it is failing as well, but revamping existing product lines? That costs money to do. And more importantly, its something they don't have to do.

Sure, the ultimate goal is market segmentation and to prevent what happened with Turing and have people refusing to buy their next gen card due to oversupply of cheap, used cards from the last mining bust.

But they could have gone like AMD and not care.
    TexAg12
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 To Silently Get New GA106-302 GPU, Will Once Again Limit Hash 2021/04/30 06:22:24 (permalink)
    That's what they said before and it didn't work. Life will find a way, and all they want to do is get Miners to buy the mining Cards. 

• Intel Core i9-10850 3.6 GHz 10-core
    • Asus PRIME Z490-A
    • Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLZ 75 CFM
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    • Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4-3200
    • Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
    • Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB 2.5" SSD
    • Fractal Design Meshify S2
    • Corsair RM 750 W 80+ Gold

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile