EVGA

NVIDIA Annoucnes CMP 30HX, 40HX, 50HX and 90HX GPUs For Mining, Cripples Hash Rate Of RTX

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
GimliSonOfGLoin
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: NVIDIA Annoucnes CMP 30HX, 40HX, 50HX and 90HX GPUs For Mining, Cripples Hash Rate Of 2021/03/07 07:57:14 (permalink)
Skyler4321Now that Nvida has started to interfere with what you do with your GPU where is the line were they stop? Sorry that GPU is not licensed for your game so low performance. Or not for video editing......ect. They have crossed a line into a foggy place. Now that this line has been crossed there is no actual need for them to stop interfering with what you can do with your stuff.

That line was crossed a long time ago. That's why all consumer-level nVidia cards are driver-limited to two NVENC streams while Quadro cards are unlimited. That's why consumer-level cards are not able to be used for GPU virtualization while Quadro cards can. That's why Titan cards have functionality that is locked on GTX/RTX cards. 

You grandstand as if you think you just uncovered a big conspiracy when, in fact, you just noticed something that's been going on right under your nose for years. And it's not just nVidia, most companies in most industries segregate their products' functionality between the markets they're targeting.  

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31004
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: NVIDIA Annoucnes CMP 30HX, 40HX, 50HX and 90HX GPUs For Mining, Cripples Hash Rate Of 2021/03/07 08:35:41 (permalink)
True, the Mfg have been protecting their margins for years, professional hardware with higher margins get better drivers

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

gameoffuture
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: NVIDIA Annoucnes CMP 30HX, 40HX, 50HX and 90HX GPUs For Mining, Cripples Hash Rate Of 2021/05/27 09:50:44 (permalink)
This is a strategic move from NVidia to screw ALL their users to try and maximize their profit by forcing users into silos in order to force users to buy more specific products... This is a middle finger from NVidia to anyone who buys GeForce product. 
1. Screw the gamers: Cripple the Cuda/OpenCL performance of the consumer class cards in the name of staving off miners and some marketing BS... "Oooh how we care for you gamers..." so anything that may use Cuda (such as NVidia's own RTX Voice and other potential future real-time applications) is going to be crippled, making this card potentially useless for a lot of other uses than just 3D graphics and basic games. "You wanted to do brushes in photoshop, or accelerated overlays and effects on 4K video... this is a gaming only device... why, you need to buy a Quadro to add to your system as well... because we have already made sure that Quadro does not game as well as a GeForce...". If your workload is diverse then you should buy two now...
2. Screw professionals, programmers, researchers, students, and scientists who actually use Cuda cores on GeForce for AI and other scientific calculations or research, who cannot use these cards anymore... "why aren't you buying Quadro? Pay 2x to 3x times more to buy our Quadro products... " (I think Quadro's value proposition is questionable right now, unless you are using a very specific feature of Quadro cards, the current GeForce 2000 and 3000 can do everything else at a much MUCH lower price... I know this because I have a Quadro card from work that costs way more than a 3070 and gets creamed by the 3070 in my particular workload. If I could actually buy a 3070 now, this Quadro will be out of my system, and maybe end up on ebay or Kajiji to pay for 2x 3070s... now you have to buy a Quadro RTX 4000 at $1000++ to see the same performance as a 3060 in my workload... 
3. Screw miners... "boy, do we have a nice plan for you... how about you buy our leftover garbage... at a very expensive price... because what other choice do you have?" 

I don't really believe NVida is actually stupid enough to mass produce the mining GPUs. People will just go and buy AMD cards as a good all-rounder, mining or not. 
Hopefully AMD and Intel are smart enough to just solve their supply issue while improving their coming technologies, and don't buy into this system (who knows, maybe this way they do make much more money and that is a good motivation). Anyways Open standards are better than proprietary NVidia things in the long run. Maybe OpenCL will get better and more popular since almost anything can be made to run OpenCL for example and not just limited to NVidia cards. Maybe AMD's next products will compete in productivity apps as well... I see this as an opportunity for Intel's and AMD's products to actually take away market share from NVidia products in the future. For now the only reason I didn't get a 6800 with 16GB of memory and opted for a "safer" 3070 (3080 was not available then either) with only 8GB memory, was because I was not 100% sure if all my apps will run well in OpenCL. If NVidia keeps this up, then that may change. 
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: NVIDIA Annoucnes CMP 30HX, 40HX, 50HX and 90HX GPUs For Mining, Cripples Hash Rate Of 2021/06/06 19:32:06 (permalink)
Nvidia has conceded the hash rate limiter will be cracked at some point (they cannot totally block mining forever)
and Nvidia may release a driver down the road to totally unlock the cards

the main reason Nvidia put the limiter in was to slow down the buying of the cards to put more cards in the hands of gamers
(as what Linustechtips says)

and when production catches up to remove the limiter

octopus you get full hash rate on the cards (Nice hash) - so effectively making zero difference

• Ethereum classic (ETC): 57 MH/s
  • Ergo (ERG): 124 MH/s
  • Ravencoin (RVN): 23 MH/s
  • Conflux Network (CFX): 97 MH/s
These are still pretty good mining numbers for the NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti. Also, the aforementioned miner also claimed something quite interesting: these numbers were taken on stock clock speeds. So overclocking the card did help increase the hash rate, though not by much.

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

EcoSage
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: NVIDIA Annoucnes CMP 30HX, 40HX, 50HX and 90HX GPUs For Mining, Cripples Hash Rate Of 2021/06/14 19:23:34 (permalink)
Fixing the wrong problem...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile