EVGA

Helpful ReplyNU Audio Pro - How to run monitor speakers with speaker wire input

Author
HE4THEN
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/23 22:51:17 (permalink)
Wondering how can I connect a JBL Kontrol 5 speaker set of 2 to the NU Audio Pro for monitoring? 

Do I need seperate hardware for that to work?

EVGA Z390 DARK / i9 9900KS / EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Ballistix 2x8GB 4000MHz / EVGA CLC 280 / EVGA DG-86

Vivicector
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: NU Audio Pro - How to run monitor speakers with speaker wire input 2020/02/23 23:43:22 (permalink)
Your speakers are passive, so I believe the sound card alone won't be able to handle that, its not a full-on amplifier. You need a separate amplifier for that.
P.S. By the way, they are done as closed cabinet scheme, no phase invertion for bass extention. JBL states a reliable bass freq up to 75Hz, that is quite high. I would recommend you planning for Subwoofer too, but thats up to you. 
HE4THEN
Re: NU Audio Pro - How to run monitor speakers with speaker wire input 2020/02/25 06:10:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit of searching for a suitable amplifier but could not really say what is the proper one for such a scenario (NU Audio Pro -> Amp -> JBL Control 5 + sub.) Does it affect or do I lose any benefits of the card and sound quality going from the card into an amplifier and then going to the speakers (absolute greenhorn when it comes to audio)? Would it be be better to just go directly into some active speakers such as the Presonus Eris E5 for example? Though I'd really prefer to use the Control 5's with a sub to be honest.

Vivicector
Re: NU Audio Pro - How to run monitor speakers with speaker wire input 2020/02/25 11:25:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HE4THEN 2020/02/29 11:29:09
HE4THEN
Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit of searching for a suitable amplifier but could not really say what is the proper one for such a scenario (NU Audio Pro -> Amp -> JBL Control 5 + sub.) Does it affect or do I lose any benefits of the card and sound quality going from the card into an amplifier and then going to the speakers (absolute greenhorn when it comes to audio)? Would it be be better to just go directly into some active speakers such as the Presonus Eris E5 for example? Though I'd really prefer to use the Control 5's with a sub to be honest.

No prob, I have spend a lot of time lately researching for different audio solutions, it really takes time to begin understand those things. 
Your monitors are closer to classical HI-FI system in this regard. You need external sound source (your PC in this case), that will convert digital data to analogue, amplifier, that will amplify the analogue signal and by doing so - drive the speakers in your acoustic. There may be additional physical items like EQ, pre-amp and so on, but rly you don't need that. You do need amplifier cause the sound card can't provide enough current to move the speaker heads (fast or at all). Too heavy for it.

The amplifier needs to put in as small distortion as possible, while providing enough current to move the drivers and return resistance to provide electric dampening  (sorry if I miss proper English terms). You can dive into the details if you wish.
Good amplifier won't spoil your sound in any way, its a must-have component. You will have no sound at all without it.

So, check for any pro studio amplifier or home hi-fi stereo amplifier that can receive the analog signal by RCA/Jack cables and pass it by acoustic wires to the speaker system. You don't need digital input (it would mostly deny the purpose of the sound card, since its DAC won't be used and you'll buy a subsystem that you already have). Also, don't go for receivers (for home cinema) unless you plan on 5.1/7.1. Don't search for one with digital sound corrections or some other sophisticated features, your PC will do better. 
Also, subwoofers are usually active anyway, if you'll wish one. Don't need amp for that.

Active speakers are simply passive speakers + onboard amplifier. There are differences (active crossover put before amplification, bi-amplified system), but its not crucial. If you like the sound of yours, then there's no problem. 

By the way, have you used the JBL Kontrol 5 before? How were they connected?
P.S. While I am at it, you'll also need acoustic cables. There are different types of scam with cables. You really only need thick copper ones. May be you'll need cables with isolation, if there is noise. The silver plated cables made of 99,99% pure copper are just a scam, don't get caught. 
HE4THEN
Re: NU Audio Pro - How to run monitor speakers with speaker wire input 2020/02/29 12:26:41 (permalink)
Thanks for your extensive answer. Learned quite a lot.

So that would mean I would be able to drive these with, let's say, either one of these for example:

the t.amp E-400 (2 x 190 W at 4 ohms) - just about enough
Malone DX800 (2 x 400W at 4 ohms) - more than necessary(?)

As for the sub-woofer I would just get a separate (active) one and connect it to the 'C/SUB' port on the second NU Audio Pro card?

I've used them (JBL Control 5's)  only for a day or so with an old Denon AV Receiver. That thing went ablaze so I had not used them since and was probably not suitable anyway. 

Is 2x2.5mm² (OFC copper) for a cable sufficient? There are listings for ~19USD at 15m length. 

To EVGA: For some posts there should be a 'buy me a coffee option'.  Vivicector surely would deserve one. 

Vivicector
Re: NU Audio Pro - How to run monitor speakers with speaker wire input 2020/03/02 10:44:02 (permalink)
HE4THEN
Thanks for your extensive answer. Learned quite a lot.

So that would mean I would be able to drive these with, let's say, either one of these for example:

the t.amp E-400 (2 x 190 W at 4 ohms) - just about enough
Malone DX800 (2 x 400W at 4 ohms) - more than necessary(?)

As for the sub-woofer I would just get a separate (active) one and connect it to the 'C/SUB' port on the second NU Audio Pro card?

I've used them (JBL Control 5's)  only for a day or so with an old Denon AV Receiver. That thing went ablaze so I had not used them since and was probably not suitable anyway. 

Is 2x2.5mm² (OFC copper) for a cable sufficient? There are listings for ~19USD at 15m length. 

To EVGA: For some posts there should be a 'buy me a coffee option'.  Vivicector surely would deserve one. 

Well, thank you! 
I can't really help you a lot with amplifiers since I have gone for active speakers so I have skipped that choice. AFAIK, however, you don't need more power then your speakers can handle. They do have power protection, but pumping more power then the items can handle is a good way to burn it anyway. Actually, those are max values and you will hardly ever use those (175W per speaker is a hell lot for close range monitors, I must say!). Having more power is nice since it allows you to tone down the volume more and provide the more "relaxed" workload for a powerful amplifier,but rly, there are other stats like THD and transient attack values, the effectiveness of negative feedback control (that autofixes the errors in amplifier work and provides more accurate sound overall). 
In my opinion, you can't very much miss when buying a modern amplifier, the modern electronics sound systems are terribly good. However, its possible to stumble upon a product with an artificially brightened sound curve or simply a badly made product. So read reviews before you buy. I would be checking the first model. However I remind you I have not gone into the whole amplifier choice much so can't give you much recommendations. 

Subwoofer, yea, should be simple as that. But here we'll need EVGA to clarify how their sound card handles the subwoofer and bass redirection, I don't know that.

I believe the cable will suffice, if you don't plan on covering long distances with it (like 5+) m.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile