NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More]

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2019/05/16 09:51:10 (permalink)
Hi Everyone, here's the latest driver for the NU Audio Card.  It's probably one that many have waited on for quite some time.  This driver adds native virtual surround support to the NU Audio Card, which can be turned on or off, along with a number of other features. Due to the API, these features are only available for Windows 10 64-bit.
Release Notes (v0.2.0.4):
  • Adds support for Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers
  • Adds DSP options for Reverb, Volume Compression, and Recording effects
  • Adds Quick EQ function
  • Adds Startup behavior options

Note - With virtual surround, you will likely need to use a little bit of EQ to adjust the effects, sometimes on a game by game basis.  The quick EQ is great for this.  For example, if you find that footsteps (e.g. your own footsteps, for example) are either too loud or too quiet, you can use the treble slider and you will notice some change.  Some games also need to be balanced slightly for voices so that surround effects won't either drown them out or make them too loud for the distance.  Lastly, bass often takes a small hit due to the wider soundstage. 

Note 2 - No, I'm not entirely sure exactly how the formula that calculates "dB" for the quick EQ works.  Edit:  Final version changed dB to %.  Will update the picture later.

Note 3 - Virtual surround only works when DSP is active, and not bypassed.  So if you're using ASIO or something else that bypasses DSP, virtual surround should be disabled as an option.  If it was enabled, it wouldn't do anything anyway.

Let us know what you think, or if you run into any issues.
post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2019/05/22 10:54:20

73 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 09:59:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the Update & Notes

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Juni0rm1nt
    • Total Posts : 20
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 12:51:40 (permalink)
    Thank you Lee. Will install tonight 
    playboyer
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 14:37:47 (permalink)
    Can't wait to try it. Thanks
    Nicoya
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 15:31:03 (permalink)
    Looking forward to it. Thanks!
    sovereign73811
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 15:38:15 (permalink)
    The drivers installed without issue. Gonna have to give gaming a go later this evening and it should be interesting. Thanks for the update! :D
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 17:01:26 (permalink)
    The 3D audio support is a nice addition for gamers.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 17:43:43 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone.  Make sure to play around with the Quick EQ if the virtual surround needs a little adjustment to sound more natural.
    rmmil978
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 17:44:03 (permalink)
    I have an incredibly noob question about this product. I currently use onboard motherboard sound, hooking external speakers to the “out” green jack via a 3.5 mm cord. I don’t see that connection on this card. Would I attach the 3.5 mm jack coming from my speakers to the headphone jack on this card, or the “line in” connection? Thanks in advance!

RIG #1                                   

i7-7700K (Stock, 4.2 GHZ)             
    Gigabyte Gaming - 8
    EVGA GTX 1080 TI FE           
    32 GB RAM @ 3000 Mhz       
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=73018
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 17:45:06 (permalink)
    rmmil978
    I have an incredibly noob question about this product. I currently use onboard motherboard sound, hooking external speakers to the “out” green jack via a 3.5 mm cord. I don’t see that connection on this card. Would I attach the 3.5 mm jack coming from my speakers to the headphone jack on this card, or the “line in” connection? Thanks in advance!

You can use the RCA to 3.5mm adapter included with the card for that purpose.
    thewait
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 18:48:55 (permalink)
    Can anyone confirm if the Nahimic 3D Audio setting is recognized as a multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1) setup by games or other software?

For example, if i activate Windows Sonic for headphones setting World of Warcraft recognizes a 7.1 speaker setup in the Sound Output log file. If Windows Sonic is NOT active then WoW recognizes a 2.0 speaker setup for the Nu Audio.
    James071966
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/16 21:27:38 (permalink)
    Hi All    Well I been on the fence looking at the Nu Audio Sound card as I always had a sound card in my PC since 1993 as I was a faithful Creative Soundblaster user then the Nu Audio came out as how better can it be over my AE-5 card and all I can say is OMG it was ..  The card was on sale today so I was happy I didn't get it yesterday so that made my mind up on getting it.   
    OK   now I having just a few issues as the card is playing music fine but just two things .   When I was installing the software v0.2.0.4  Bitdefender my Antivirus stop it in it's track as I am not sure if all the files installed as I manage to ignore the file and it finished installing but I thinking parts were not installed.   Here is the report from Bitdefender 

Infected file detected
    an hour ago

Feature:AntivirusThe item C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA\NU Audio Card\EVGA_NahimicAPI\x86\EVGA_NahimicAPISvc32.exe was restored at user request.

Not 100% sure it was installed as in my Device Manager  I got a error  (Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

I could try to Disable Bitdefender  and uninstall   Nu Audio driver and re-install it but it's funny that it's thinking  NahimicAPI is a virus

James

Nemmera
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/17 04:18:28 (permalink)
    This isn't the first time EVGA software gets stuck in major antivirus solutions. I had plenty of problems with the first set of drivers and F-secure.

Most likely not an issue, but a bit annoying that EVGA don't sort it prior to releasing drivers.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/17 09:38:18 (permalink)
    James071966
    Hi All    Well I been on the fence looking at the Nu Audio Sound card as I always had a sound card in my PC since 1993 as I was a faithful Creative Soundblaster user then the Nu Audio came out as how better can it be over my AE-5 card and all I can say is OMG it was ..  The card was on sale today so I was happy I didn't get it yesterday so that made my mind up on getting it.   
    OK   now I having just a few issues as the card is playing music fine but just two things .   When I was installing the software v0.2.0.4  Bitdefender my Antivirus stop it in it's track as I am not sure if all the files installed as I manage to ignore the file and it finished installing but I thinking parts were not installed.   Here is the report from Bitdefender 

Infected file detected
    an hour ago

Feature:AntivirusThe item C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA\NU Audio Card\EVGA_NahimicAPI\x86\EVGA_NahimicAPISvc32.exe was restored at user request.

Not 100% sure it was installed as in my Device Manager  I got a error  (Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

I could try to Disable Bitdefender  and uninstall   Nu Audio driver and re-install it but it's funny that it's thinking  NahimicAPI is a virus

James

False positive.  A couple people posted on social media yesterday having the same issue, so our IT department did some testing with other tools and confirmed no virus. 

I'll be checking with our team to see if they can sort out the solution.  It seems to be a Bitdefender issue.
    James071966
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/17 10:16:09 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    James071966

Infected file detected
    an hour ago

James

False positive.  A couple people posted on social media yesterday having the same issue, so our IT department did some testing with other tools and confirmed no virus. 

I'll be checking with our team to see if they can sort out the solution.  It seems to be a Bitdefender issue.

Thanks for the reply as maybe in a future update the issue will be solved with Bitdefender as for the USB error in the Device Manager  I will unplug all my USB devices to see if the error still there but it wouldn't put it past me if it's a compatible issue with the Motherboard  as I have a  MSI MEG z390 ACE with a Intel 9900K CPU. 

James
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/17 10:29:08 (permalink)
    thewait
    Can anyone confirm if the Nahimic 3D Audio setting is recognized as a multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1) setup by games or other software?

For example, if i activate Windows Sonic for headphones setting World of Warcraft recognizes a 7.1 speaker setup in the Sound Output log file. If Windows Sonic is NOT active then WoW recognizes a 2.0 speaker setup for the Nu Audio.

I don't know the full workings of the software, but it definitely takes whatever audio source that comes in and then applies the audio as a 3D environment through their own proprietary software.  It doesn't hook into Sonic, like some other audio solutions do.  I don't think the Nahimic software looks at it like a 2.0/5.1/7.1 scenario, as traditional sound card solutions do.

Fun fact: you can run Sonic with the virtual surround on the NU Audio card, and it will change the audio signature.  Go ahead and give it a try to see if you hear a difference.
    usa423
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 180
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/17 17:23:22 (permalink)
    Thanks again for keeping the drivers up to date with new and added features!

So this will add a surround effect from only two speakers? Like Q sound or something. So if I'm playing a FPSer online I will hear footsteps seemingly behind me although I only have two speakers and a sub in front of me?

If anyone knows the answer to this question it would be much appreciated!
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/17 18:11:11 (permalink)
    I haven't personally tested with speakers setup in a way to test what you're asking, but I can confirm that it does change the output when enabled while using speakers. 

Basically, our media room up here has the audio card in a PC, so I can test this properly with headphones, but the speakers are 90 degrees from the system, and not configured properly (distance-wise) to tell you how well it provides a surround environment.  Hopefully, you can test and let me know what you think.
    ikeike
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/18 16:37:35 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Whats this nahimic software about? and which version should i download? it only lists downloads as per the motherboard on their site. Also does it really enhance positioning sound in gaming? 
    usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/19 10:39:42 (permalink)
    Until this morning I had never tried Windows Sonic or Dolby atmosphere for headphones. I don't usually wear headphones while gaming. But I'm interested at the thought of surround sound over headphones.

Quickly into this I found out that either Window's Sonic and Dolby Atmosphere force you into 16 bit 48 khz and it cannot be changed. Talk and complaints all over the net about a limitation of those modes being that. And to me that beats the point of having a Nu-Audio sound card.

But I was able to hear some widening effects from those things. Just to my ears, 16 bit 44-48 khz is way too harsh and shrill at high volumes especially over headphones. So I feel what was gained by those two is lost in a dated and shrill bit rate and sample rate.

The Nahimic 3D surround button. Over just speakers I can hear it changes the overall sound some what just like you said. But it doesn't seem near as noticeable to me as the Sonic or atmosphere. Over headphones, again I can tell there is A difference, but it feels like its a very subtle one. I am glad though it can be used by any bit rate or sample rate the Nu-Audio can use while gaming, giving an immediate benefit to Nu-Audio owners. But about hearing that effect more, imagine turning the wet mix of a reverb up more to hear more of the effected signal. I feel something like that needs to be done here. Let me hear more of the surround so the sounds separate themselves more. As I'm honestly not feeling a surround effect, and in some games like Battlefield 4, dare I say there even seemed to be better sound positioning to turn the effect off all together. But I'm glad you added it. Its a cool option to have for gaming. 

I like the compressor you added. I can select softer and the explosions and impacts from games don't seem quite as intense. If I used a gaming headset the noise reduction and volume stabilizer would definitely be a welcome addition for open mic gaming.

I briefly tried the reverb sound fields, very unique and interesting! The hall, stadium, church, etc. Would be cool to hear some of your tunes as if you were really there live!

I look forward to every update and addition to this card!

Keep'em coming!

Thanks!
    post edited by usa423 - 2019/05/19 10:47:19
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/19 11:55:28 (permalink)
    Updating now, thank you

No issues noted
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/05/19 14:38:34

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/19 13:41:39 (permalink)
    Testing again, this time using only 16 bit 44K, and it does feel like the 3D is enhancing dolby atmos for headphones. Sounds a bit more spacious, more realistic. I'm unsure if this effect is suppose to just compliment Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmosphere or truly be its own stand alone item you could select from the taskbar under Spatial sound thru the speaker icon. Win 10 x 64 here.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/19 22:47:37 (permalink)
    usa423
    Testing again, this time using only 16 bit 44K, and it does feel like the 3D is enhancing dolby atmos for headphones. Sounds a bit more spacious, more realistic. I'm unsure if this effect is suppose to just compliment Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmosphere or truly be its own stand alone item you could select from the taskbar under Spatial sound thru the speaker icon. Win 10 x 64 here.

Because the surround is enabled through the NU Audio Software, it's separate from the spatial options in Windows.  However, you can use the Nahimic solution with Sonic and Dolby.  I've only done limited testing myself, but they can be used together.
    ViperSP
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/21 16:12:45 (permalink)
    Kudos Lee and the tech team for these drivers. Seriously impressive work! Fixed all the issues i was having.
    It's like Christmas already. Someone could slap my face and i'd still smile due to the new audio drivers.

WELL DONE GUYS !!

Ste

usa423
    Superclocked Member
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/21 20:12:38 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    usa423

Because the surround is enabled through the NU Audio Software, it's separate from the spatial options in Windows.  However, you can use the Nahimic solution with Sonic and Dolby.  I've only done limited testing myself, but they can be used together.

I have to say, I'm really baffled by this technology. I never tried Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmosphere before this driver. Comparing the two I prefer Dolby Atmosphere, which is not free or included with Windows 10 (but I'm on the 30 day trial period). Something just sounds more natural about it to my ears. The stereo separation is simply incredible. And then the Nahimic surround on top of that? It seems to enhance the Dolby even more. I don't even know how that's possible considering the quality and name Dolby already has. It literally seems to enhance everything I try. Even Youtube 480P videos sound good. And the gaming with it is truly something you have to hear to appreciate it, I was able to have a better score in Battlefield 4 last night then I ever have.

I spoke a bit prematurely about the 16 bit 44-48K without properly evaluating the two techs for at least a good while first. I stand by what I originally said about 16 bit 44-48 khz at high volumes sounding harsh to me compared to much higher bit depths and sample rate, digital audio (at least with 2 channel audio or headphones). And that is what is so confusing and surprising about this to me. I don't know by what sorcery or tech Dolby used to accomplish such "smooth" audio from this (and then whatever Nahimic does to enhance it or widen it). Some kind of over sampling or fill in the gaps between the 16 bit audio points? A next generation low pass filter rolling off everything above like 7-8 khz? I have no idea, I'm perplexed about this....hahahah.

I'm wondering if Dolby Atmos requires such incredible PC horsepower to do what all it does that all options were evaluated and 16 bit 44K was chosen for many reasons including great compatibility and infrastructure, the same internet bandwidth requirements we have had awhile?

Still though, I would still like to hear this @ 32 bit 384 KHZ, even if that meant like trying to run the pc game "Crysis" in 2007 hahaha. I get that probably no one wants a greater bandwidth demand on the net atm. But why not still allow us to use our 32 bit DAC's for kind of an "up convert" effect anywho??? These things (Sonic and Atmos) seem VERY strict, I was not able to cheat it. Whenever I right click the speaker icon in the taskbar and choose a Spatial sound that is it! If I change anything its like it immediately disengages the Sonic or Atmos as by trying to select again and seeing its not on.

Thanks again for the newest drivers! I look forward to seeing where you go from here! And small request, please give us filter settings that completely bypass any types or amounts of delay on Windows playback as the default playback device (not ASIO....Windows WDM drivers or whatever).

LordGTXTitan
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/22 09:03:19 (permalink)
    Thank you for the great update. I still don't understand this PCM mode. How do I use it?

And how should I chose my ASIO Buffer when gaming is my main field of application?

Keep up the good work!
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/22 10:59:24 (permalink)
    LordGTXTitan
    Thank you for the great update. I still don't understand this PCM mode. How do I use it?

And how should I chose my ASIO Buffer when gaming is my main field of application?

Keep up the good work!

I updated the information in the OP, because I meant to say DSP, rather than PCM.  PCM is generally the default mode for audio.  The other mode would be DSD, which clearly isn't applicable for gaming.  In other words, the Nahimic features that were added works, so long as the Windows DSP isn't being bypassed by ASIO or WASAPI, for example. 

The ASIO buffer would not be used during gaming, since gaming generally needs Windows DSP to work to provide different audio scenarios, Sonic, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, etc.  You can set it to whatever you want, but the ASIO buffer will be bypassed in favor of whatever you have set for the bit-depth/sample rate.
    MageSavant
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/23 16:33:51 (permalink)
    I apologize if this has been addressed but what about DTS and Dolby (especially thru toslink)
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/23 16:37:54 (permalink)
    MageSavant
    I apologize if this has been addressed but what about DTS and Dolby (especially thru toslink)

Hi there!

Dolby/DTS passthrough support via S/PDIF was added in an earlier driver this month.  Do you have a different question?
    Juni0rm1nt
    Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.2.0.4 (Win10) [Nahimic 3D Audio for Gamers + More] 2019/05/23 16:55:29 (permalink)
    I took the plunge and now am downloading the latest Win 10, May edition (v1903). I'm hoping the audio issues (pointed out in the May 2019 issues ) do not apply to us with the Nu Audio platform.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile