EVGA

NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support]

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/11 15:29:43 (permalink)
Dolby and DTS support on the NU Audio card exists as pass-through from an audio/video source that already has Dolby or DTS encoding.  What you saw on your ZXR is live encoding, where it upsamples a stereo source into a Dolby or DTS signal for a receiver. 
playboyer
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/11 15:56:20 (permalink)
Now I can't even play BF5 in 5.1 surround even if "surround" is selected in-game.  All I get is stereo.
playboyer
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/11 16:02:26 (permalink)
I upgraded from the ZXR to the BlasterX AE-5 only to find out there is no DTS support so I only could get stereo in my games so I purchased the NU Audio thinking that I would be able to get DTS 5.1 like I did with the ZXR when connected to my home theater receiver but even the NU Audio I can only get Stereo in games even when 5.1/surround is selected in-game.
 I also test Star Wars Battlefront which supports 5.1 and all I get is stereo.  When I try to select 5.1 surround mode on my receiver it says "Not Available" and is locked to 2 channels.
post edited by playboyer - 2019/06/11 16:12:39
playboyer
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/11 16:28:26 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
Dolby and DTS support on the NU Audio card exists as pass-through from an audio/video source that already has Dolby or DTS encoding.  What you saw on your ZXR is live encoding, where it upsamples a stereo source into a Dolby or DTS signal for a receiver. 

Is this "live encoding" possible with the NU Audio thru a driver update?  Was really hoping I was going to be able to get 5.1 like I did with the ZXR.  Games that support 5.1/7.1;surround worked perfectly fine with the ZXR/hometheater receiver setup but now with this NU Audio I can't even get surround sound with those game that support 5.1 surround but stereo instead.  Such a bummer.
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/11 22:14:08 (permalink)
What receiver and how are you running the sound to the receiver?

Also - this thread is for the previous driver, are you running this (older) driver or the current 0.2.0.4?

playboyer
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/12 09:49:38 (permalink)
GGTV-Jon
What receiver and how are you running the sound to the receiver?

Also - this thread is for the previous driver, are you running this (older) driver or the current 0.2.0.4?

I have a Yamaha RX-V377 connected via optical cable. The NU card will indeed play a DTS audio file in 5.1 so I'd does work as advertised. With my older Soundblast Z and ZXR I was able to enable DTS thru the software and my receiver will see 5.1 and I'll get 5.1 surround in all games that support 5.1/surround. Unfortunately my other Soundcard the SoundblasterX AE-5 does not support DTS encoding so I am not able to set 5.1 to the receiver. I guess I miss understood and thought the NU Soundcard featured DTS encoding or as EVGA tech calls it "live encoding" that's why I purchased the card only to find out it doesn't and sadly I can't get 5.1 surround sound in game that supports 5.1 audio like BF5 or Starwars Battlefront. I guess I'll be selling either the NU or BlasterX AE-5 to get the older Blaster Z card just for the DTS encoding so I can play games that supports surround sound. Oh and have tried both the newest the and previous driver. The card just doesn't support Live Encoding.
GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/12 11:42:23 (permalink)
I only use my headset in stereo mode in BFV so I have not poked around with it. If BFV "supports" 5.1 then it should have the encoded sound files. I would have to pull up the manual for your receiver when I get home from work, but if it has a direct mode (like my Denon) then it will play what ever the source is being fed, be it stereo or 5.1

Your old sound card was creating 5.1 regardless of the source

playboyer
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/12 15:54:23 (permalink)
I have it set to "Straight" if it's a another term for "Direct" so it uses no other signal processing other than what is coming from the source. I can get 5.1 channels from the newer Soundblaster X AE-5 if I use the analog outputs on the Soundcard for games and all but I was just hoping I could do it thru the optical since I don't have a 5.1 analog speaker system. I just really love the sound out of my receiver and 5.1 Energy Take Classic speakers. The sound just blows my Klipsch 2.1 Promedia out the water.
willshoe
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: NU Audio Driver Release v0.1.3.0 (Win10/Win7) [5.1 Dolby/DTS Passthrough Support] 2019/06/28 08:45:36 (permalink)
IN order to play games in 5.1 with this card it is apparent that Dolby Digital Live / DTS Live must be supported which is the only option for this card due to NO 5.1 analog outputs. Pass Thru only works with actual content already encoded in 5.1 like movies. While advertised as a gaming Sound card I consider it subpar at this point for NOT supporting True 5.1 gaming surround. I was actually getting ready to order 2 of these cards to replace my SB-Z and SB Omni due to Creatives newest card has no DTS/DDL support. Now I realized NO Dolby Digital Live Support either on this card (got excited too quickly) This seems to be a pattern for some reason just like Realtek not supporting DDL/DTS Live either on their newest drivers (unless you get a modded version of the drivers, works great) The fact there is no 5.1 analog option for Realtime surround gaming on this card would make it a must to add support for DDL/DTS, not just pass-thru. Most titles today and even Legacy titles have 5.1 support... such a shame a card at this price level currently can't support true surround gaming. Obviously if I want just high end stereo sound and recording I will stick to external DAC. I'm sure this card is fine for just stereo gaming and music for people who don't care about surround sound, however I was really looking forward to an all in one gaming surround, movie surround, music surround, with high end specs solution other than creative. I suspect though it boils down to not wanting to pay for DDL/DTS license fee's to increase profits perhaps. Should those options be added in the future I will consider getting this card or maybe a newer model perhaps in the future but until then suffer with what I have for now.  

Additional notes on Nahimic 3D: This being advertised as Virtual Surround is an after thought... Virtual surround translates to simulated surround.. its fake and not immersive as the real thing... Like trying to Simulate creatives EAX with just 2 channel output (most games output at 5.1 which are being down converted to 2 channel) With the advent of new Surround systems continuing to come out with more advanced receivers, 7.1 or 7.2  all in one speaker systems, Dolby Atmos, and Real 3D sound. This is the same Software that's included with MSI MB  onboard sound which happens to have more options and control due to having 5.1 analog output but for NU AUDIO just simulated. This card should not have been marketed as a gaming card but for audio purest (stereo) internal sound DAC, PCM audio and 5.1 now only pass-thru. If you look at the reviews about Nahimic and even the MS Store a lot of issues, maybe they will get better eventually but my experience trying it out multiple times since 2017 no real change but I guess when your used to REAL 3D Surround Gaming the fake stuff just sounds like crap. This card definitely has potential and would hope they will consider adding DDL/DTS Live support if possible.    
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile