EVGA

NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by

Author
maddick19
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/07/14 12:31:01 (permalink)
First, the card sounds great. My only issue is that the card will stop working properly when the computer wakes up from stand-by. Not sure if this is a function of drivers or if I might be doing something wrong myself. Running Windows 10 version 1809 with NU Audio driver version v0.2.0.4 under a standard user account. Things work fine otherwise. Any thoughts on the matter?

19 Replies Related Threads

maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/19 16:04:03 (permalink)
    Well, all I can say for this card is this: disappointment. Excuse me. Expensive disappointment.

If you are considering this purchase, consider other cards first. I'm constantly battling with this card to get it to function properly. It appears that the card stops producing sound unless I fiddle about with the sample rate. Changing it to a different rate then back again seems to work.... sometimes. Other times... it just doesn't work unless I restart the computer, start playing sound, let it fail, then it might come back after that. I've tested other devices in the PCI-E slot it is currently installed in to be sure I'm not dealing with a motherboard issue. Other hardware works just fine. I've removed other devices to ensure the card wasn't overheating (it is crowded in my build) or something of that nature. No success. This seems to be a result of the computer going to sleep mode but if that is a failure point for a piece of hardware installed "inside" your computer then it fails to meet minimum functioning standards for a typical build. Ultimately, that makes it a failure as a product.

Driver updates are not exactly coming out fast-and-furious either. If this is a driver issue... it appears I could be waiting several months for it to be addressed... if it gets addressed at all.

All I can say is that I had higher hopes for this device. Just getting this card to cooperate is a struggle, let alone having it standout among other options in its price range.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/19 16:18:10 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum

If you do not use Stand-By, Sleep, or Hibernate is the NU Audio Card working normally?
    Are all your USB Ports set under Device Manager to NOT allow Sleeping?
    Is ErP Mode Enabled in your Motherboard Bios?
    ErP Support determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W of power in S5 (shutdown) state.
    When the setting is enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable:
    PME Event Wake Up, Power On By Mouse, Power On By Keyboard, and Wake On LAN
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/07/19 16:23:42

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/22 15:20:23 (permalink)
    maddick19
    Well, all I can say for this card is this: disappointment. Excuse me. Expensive disappointment.

If you are considering this purchase, consider other cards first. I'm constantly battling with this card to get it to function properly. It appears that the card stops producing sound unless I fiddle about with the sample rate. Changing it to a different rate then back again seems to work.... sometimes. Other times... it just doesn't work unless I restart the computer, start playing sound, let it fail, then it might come back after that. I've tested other devices in the PCI-E slot it is currently installed in to be sure I'm not dealing with a motherboard issue. Other hardware works just fine. I've removed other devices to ensure the card wasn't overheating (it is crowded in my build) or something of that nature. No success. This seems to be a result of the computer going to sleep mode but if that is a failure point for a piece of hardware installed "inside" your computer then it fails to meet minimum functioning standards for a typical build. Ultimately, that makes it a failure as a product.

Driver updates are not exactly coming out fast-and-furious either. If this is a driver issue... it appears I could be waiting several months for it to be addressed... if it gets addressed at all.

All I can say is that I had higher hopes for this device. Just getting this card to cooperate is a struggle, let alone having it standout among other options in its price range.

This is somewhat of a known issue right now, but not many people have this, so it's challenging to fix.  If you don't mind, I'd like to give you a debug driver to try, which will create a log for us to review.  I'll send it to you via PM, but you'll need to get your post count a little higher to respond back to me via PM (standard forum anti-spam measure).
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/22 16:59:18 (permalink)
    Shouldn't this be in the main Audio section and not the review? Considering that there can be a fix for the issue

EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/22 17:00:38 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    Shouldn't this be in the main Audio section and not the review? Considering that there can be a fix for the issue

Let's see where the thread goes for a bit.
    Azazello22
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/23 10:33:23 (permalink)
    Great job!
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/23 11:15:00 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon

That is likely true but I found it difficult to determine where to put this post initially and settled for putting it here. Should it need to be moved I'm sure a moderator could do so.

EVGATech_LeeM
    This is somewhat of a known issue right now, but not many people have this, so it's challenging to fix.  If you don't mind, I'd like to give you a debug driver to try, which will create a log for us to review.  I'll send it to you via PM, but you'll need to get your post count a little higher to respond back to me via PM (standard forum anti-spam measure).

Thank you for reaching out. I'm currently following some of your advice now. I will post back to this thread with further information should it work or not.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/23 14:21:27 (permalink)
    Good to hear!  Let me know how it goes either here or in PM.
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/24 15:06:55 (permalink)
    Okay. No dice with driver version 0.2.0.5

I will have to download and install the drivers with logging enabled to gather more information for you but there are some relevant bits of information I can share now
    1. Still only an issue after returning from sleep mode
    2. I'm using a standard user account in windows and not an administrator account... but that doesn't seem to change the situation
    3. The sound system will not be reliable if I move past a sampling rate of 96000. The nature of how it stops working is as follows:
      • change sampling rate to 192000/24 bit
      • play music in foobar2000 - sound is produced and things work
      • stop music in foobar and start video in Firefox. Sound stops working unless I go back to a lower sampling rate and usually still unstable unless I got to 96000 or less
    4. card's firmware version: v0.2B
    Hope that helps for now.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/24 15:54:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update.  That is similar to what I've seen reported.  This happened to me once, as well. 

Out of curiosity, if you normally use the ASIO - NU Audio output option in Foobar, check to see if that option is still there after you wake from sleep.
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/25 07:10:33 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Thanks for the update.  That is similar to what I've seen reported.  This happened to me once, as well. 

Out of curiosity, if you normally use the ASIO - NU Audio output option in Foobar, check to see if that option is still there after you wake from sleep.

I'll give this a look when I get home. I needed to uninstall the v0.2.0.5 drivers as the sound devices totally disappeared and wouldn't come back at all so I'm sitting on v0.2.0.4 at the moment. Shall I check with version v0.2.0.4 of the drivers, the debug drivers, or go back to v0.2.0.5? Does it matter? Let me know when you've a chance.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/25 09:17:54 (permalink)
    The debug drivers are v0.2.0.5 with the added debug functionality.  The only tweak with v0.2.0.5 is to aid in keeping the audio after resumption from sleep, so it seems odd to have another issue with those.
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/25 09:24:39 (permalink)
    It is possible I encountered some other issue along the way with the drivers.

As for the foobar2000 question, where should I look for this information? Under Preferences > Playback > Output I see the device being used is "Primary Sound Driver". Should I be looking elsewhere?
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/25 09:29:46 (permalink)
    maddick19
    It is possible I encountered some other issue along the way with the drivers.

As for the foobar2000 question, where should I look for this information? Under Preferences > Playback > Output I see the device being used is "Primary Sound Driver". Should I be looking elsewhere?

Yes, there.

The preference is to either select the NU Audio, or configure foobar2000 to use the NU Audio ASIO driver.  You can follow this FAQ for how to do that:  https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59748

For ASIO only, you only need to install the ASIO download, restart Foobar, then go back into the Preferences > Playback > Output and select ASIO: NU Audio.  It's worthwhile doing, since this bypasses Windows DSP and music via foobar2000 will only be processed by the audio card.
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/25 14:47:20 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply. I've updated foobar2000 to use ASIO and will report back what happens there as requested.

I've also installed the drivers with logging enabled. I will report back with logs that are—I hope at least—useful for you and your team to track down any problems there might be.
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/26 14:03:14 (permalink)
    Okay. I've reproduced the issue with the drivers that produce logs. Sadly, it doesn't seem like the log file was updated today. Naturally, that would indicate that whatever happened didn't get logged. I was able to reproduce this issue in the following way:
    1. resume the system from sleep
    2. play music in foobar2000 using standard windows driver - works fine
    3. play video in Firefox - works fine - notice that the sampling rate was reduced to 48000
    4. switch sampling rate to 24 bit / 192000
    5. play music in foobar2000 using standard windows driver - works fine
    6. play music in foobar2000 using ASIO - works fine
    7. stop music and play video in Firefox - failure
    8. stop video and start World of Warcraft - no sound - failure
    9. sound devices seem to "reset" themselves
    10. things work normally from here
    I can provide the log to you if you'd like. It won't show today in it however. Maybe you'll find something anyway? Don't know.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/07/26 22:39:39 (permalink)
    Go ahead and send it to the email in your PM.  I won't have access to my email until I get back in the office on Monday, so you also have time to provide more logs if it happens again over the weekend. Just remember that if it does fail, go ahead and close the program from system tray and it should create a log up to that point.
    maddick19
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/08/22 09:47:01 (permalink)
    Okay, can we have this moved to a support forum? The latest drivers totally resolve this issue and I think it would be more appropriate that this find its way to a support forum. I suppose that is a moderators call ultimately. I will be doing an actual review now that we are banging on all cylinders.

Thanks again for the A+ support with this issue.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: NU Audio Card: Trouble With Stand-by 2019/08/22 10:56:34 (permalink)
    maddick19
    Okay, can we have this moved to a support forum? The latest drivers totally resolve this issue and I think it would be more appropriate that this find its way to a support forum. I suppose that is a moderators call ultimately. I will be doing an actual review now that we are banging on all cylinders.

Thanks again for the A+ support with this issue.

Moved it over to the main audio section.  Thanks for the feedback!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile