My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? [[first post edited!]]

Author
sasy20
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/19 05:18:26 (permalink)
HI guys I own a RTX 2080 and I am really really worried please help me :( 

I remember news about some rtx 2070 - 2080 - 2080ti died for a reason I don't know!! ( maybe memory problem )

My question is all rtx 2080s are gonna die one day because of memory problem?????!! they got fixed later??

i heared memory problem got fixed 100% later ( right? )... i want to know my rtx 2080 is the one made after the memory problem solved or not !!!!

I'm really worried because for some reason i can't use warranty in my country!!!! 

I can give you serial number and ... can evga support confirm my card was made after solving memory problem?! ( i sent a email to evga support still no answer :( )

post edited by sasy20 - 2019/08/19 11:50:39

23 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 05:24:18 (permalink)
    HUH ? . - There are always a certain percentage of any electronics that are going to die or break right away. That is the nature of electrical items. 

IF you are asking if there has been some kind of nationwide issue with them ?  = NO.

I have only seen an article or two about the 2080 ti's possibly burning out a bit early - but even that has not been any kind of major announcement or certainty .  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 05:33:24 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    HUH ? . - There are always a certain percentage of any electronics that are going to die or break right away. That is the nature of electrical items. 

IF you are asking if there has been some kind of nationwide issue with them ?  = NO.

I have only seen an article or two about the 2080 ti's possibly burning out a bit early - but even that has not been any kind of major announcement or certainty .  

Sorry for my bad English ... you didn't answer my question man...

I mean.... RTX 2080s got fixed later? ( some of them died bc of memory problem or something else )  
    I own a EVGA rtx 2080 black edition with samsung memory.... i want to know my rtx 2080 is gonna die because of memory problem or not ? ! .... i heared nvidia fixed memory problem later!

I can give you serial number and part number...can you guys confirm my card is a fixed one and not gonna die because of memory problem ?  

post edited by sasy20 - 2019/08/19 05:36:18
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 05:49:57 (permalink)
    if your card arrived sealed brand new in an original OEM EVGA package it is brand new, if it arrived in anything other than that it is more then likely refurbished. Some cards had micron memory, some cards had samsung memory, how long your card lasts is how much you overclock it, whether it has micron or samsung memory is no relevance. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 06:01:22 (permalink)
    sasy20
    My question is all rtx 2080s are gonna die one day?????!!

Yes, all RTX 2080s are going to die one day. All power supplies are going to die one day. All motherboards are going to die one day. All CPUs are going to die one day. All memory is going to die one day. All animals are going to die one day. All stars are going to die one day. All universes are going to die one day.

It is impossible to guess what day that will be. There is no manufacturing date, serial number, or any other indication to predict which day that will be.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 06:16:56 (permalink)
    Hello Sasy20 and welcome to the EVGA forums!

Are you currently experiencing any problems with your graphics card?

If the answer is yes, please provide your system specs and as many details as possible about the problem. 
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 06:17:47 (permalink)
    dwexpress
    if your card arrived sealed brand new in an original OEM EVGA package it is brand new, if it arrived in anything other than that it is more then likely refurbished. Some cards had micron memory, some cards had samsung memory, how long your card lasts is how much you overclock it, whether it has micron or samsung memory is no relevance. 

So sorry what do you mean OEM EVGA package?
     and i'm not talking about refurbished cards man!

ty_ger07
    sasy20
    My question is all rtx 2080s are gonna die one day?????!!

Yes, all RTX 2080s are going to die one day. All power supplies are going to die one day. All motherboards are going to die one day. All CPUs are going to die one day. All memory is going to die one day. All animals are going to die one day. All stars are going to die one day. All universes are going to die one day.

It is impossible to guess what day that will be. There is no manufacturing date, serial number, or any other indication to predict which day that will be.

Man i know what you mean .....
    still not my answer ...

i think it is a big misunderstanding!!!!!!!

I'm talking about RTX memory problems..... i want to know my card will have the same problem or not...

nvidia support told me this: 
    [04:18:02 AM]Biprajit: There was an issue with the first bacth of RTX cards only, and that was late 2018. All issues have been fixed after that
    [04:18:55 AM]Biprajit: Provide me the Part number
    [04:21:00 AM]Biprajit: This is an EVGA manufactured card
    [04:21:31 AM]Biprajit: Please contact EVGA

and i sent an emial to evga support and asking about my RTX 2080 if it is the first batch of RTX cards or not! ( still they didn't answer )

if it is the batch of RTX that not gonna have the memory problem so i should keep it and enjoy it! if it's the first batch of RTX cards so i should sell it ....

post edited by sasy20 - 2019/08/19 06:47:57
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 06:24:38 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseR
    Hello Sasy20 and welcome to the EVGA forums!

Are you currently experiencing any problems with your graphics card?

If the answer is yes, please provide your system specs and as many details as possible about the problem. 

Hello 
    i think these guys giving me wrong answer bc of my bad English so sorry guys...

I bought a rtx 2080 in april.... but used it only 1 month ...... i am extremely worried bc i heard some RTX cards will die because of memory problem or something like memory problem!

sinse i can't use warranty in my country i want to know my RTX 2080 will have the memory problem or not ....

nvidia support told me i can ask it from EVGA to know if my card is first banch of RTX cards or not.... 

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 06:24:58 (permalink)
    I don't see any RTX cards registered to your account.

If you can register the card, we can at least let you know what the warranty is like should you have a problem with the graphics card.
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 06:30:21 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseR

If you can register the card, we can at least let you know what the warranty is like should you have a problem with the graphics card.

done!

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 07:15:25 (permalink)
    sasy20
    EVGATech_JoseR

done!

Great!

The graphics card comes with the global 3 year warranty which started a few months ago so you have plenty of time to send it in if you run into a problem but to answer your earlier question, the susceptibility to failure is the same as with any previous generation of graphics cards and since no one can predict when and how a product will fail, the most we can do as a manufacturer is offer a warranty to replace a defective product for a reasonable amount of time. 
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 07:31:46 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseR
    sasy20
    EVGATech_JoseR

done!

Great!

The graphics card comes with the global 3 year warranty which started a few months ago so you have plenty of time to send it in if you run into a problem but to answer your earlier question, the susceptibility to failure is the same as with any previous generation of graphics cards and since no one can predict when and how a product will fail, the most we can do as a manufacturer is offer a warranty to replace a defective product for a reasonable amount of time. 

I'm living in iran!!!! now you know why I can't use the warranty in my country!!! 

[04:18:02 AM]Biprajit: There was an issue with the first bacth of RTX cards only, and that was late 2018. All issues have been fixed after that

i want to know my card is first bacth of RTX cards or not!!!! 
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 07:32:35 (permalink)
    Normally, I've been of the opinion that if a piece of electronic equipment works for the first month, it will probably outlast its usefulness to you.,

There are some examples of failure after this time, but I highly doubt you'll have issues if it works for 30 days.

This is merely my opinion...and even if you do have issues, eVGA is really good about warranty service....There will be naysayers here, but hey..that's life.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 07:50:53 (permalink)
    sasy20
    EVGATech_JoseR
    sasy20
    EVGATech_JoseR

done!

Great!

I'm living in iran!!!! now you know why I can't use the warranty in my country!!! 

The agent you spoke with may have been referring to the issue with the "space invader" artifacts which is still something that can happen even with newer cards but if you must know, your RTX 2070 was manufactured earlier this year so definitely not a first release product. 
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 08:22:37 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseR
    sasy20
    EVGATech_JoseR
    sasy20
    EVGATech_JoseR

done!

Great!

The agent you spoke with may have been referring to the issue with the "space invader" artifacts which is still something that can happen even with newer cards but if you must know, your RTX 2070 was manufactured earlier this year so definitely not a first release product. 

Thank you so much Man!
     So you checked my serial number and part number and my card ( evga rtx 2080 black edition ) made earlier this year right?
    RTX problem is called space invader didn't know that! 
    My gtx 1080 worked very good even with overclock for years ... why space invader should happen to RTX cards even without overclock and in a short time?!  
    So no one can tell me if my RTX 2080 (even when that made earlier this year ) not gonna die with space invader? ( i don't overclocked my card )
    nvidia didn't solve the problem 100% for RTX cards? ( i never heard a 2080 super with space invader problem ...but i can't buy it )

Another question ... I don't have any invoice or Receipt for my 2080 , will i be able to use the warranty ?

post edited by sasy20 - 2019/08/19 08:39:05
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 08:31:34 (permalink)
    sasy20

Another question ... I don't have any invoice or Receipt for my 2080 , will i be able to use the warranty ?

The warranty is attached to the GPU's serial number, not the owner/user.  Whether you're the first original owner or 2nd hand owner, you still should have a valid warranty.  

Don't post your GPU's serial number on the forums but only directly to a EVGA tech or representative.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 08:51:31 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good that it was made in 2019 and not part of the first batch.

As for the problems it's a much smaller problem then it seems. As an example, if a company sold 100 products and 10 of them fail you can bet those 10 people are not going to be happy and posting online about the bad product. The other 90 people are happy and not posting that it works great as when it works well, they don't give it much thought. This is totally an example with made up numbers to show that even if a product has 90% happy customers it can still have angry people leaving angry reviews, complaining on social media and making negative posts on forums. I feel people who had a bad experience are not bad people for doing that since it's natural to do that but I think it really says a lot about a product when a company backs up a release with a long warranty. Even if I didn't get that warranty the fact they offered it speaks well for the trust they put into it as the goal of a company is to make money and you can't make money if you are returning every product multiple times during a warranty window.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2019/08/19 08:54:03

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 09:32:54 (permalink)
    sasy20
    [...]

I understand what you are asking, but I think you might be confusing a few things.  The NVIDIA rep is likely also referring to a different issue than the one you are worried about.

The early issue with the batch of RTX cards (referred to by the NVIDIA rep) was not an industry-wide issue, but rather an NVIDIA-brand RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition issue caused by defective/mis-tested cards accidentally packaged for retail.  You can read about that here: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-addresses-failing-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-cards.250497/.  I don't think the rep was very clear about what he was discussing.  That issue also was related only to NVIDIA-brand cards, and not partner cards made by companies like EVGA.

This is different than other reports of issues that various customers have had.  Overall, 20-Series cards have a failure rate in-line with previous generations of cards.  Just be careful of trying to read too much into people having issues and trying to correlate those issues with ones you have or worry about having.  It will drive you crazy that way.
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 11:18:34 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you guys!!!! 
    Very kind and helpful forums!!!!!

EVGATech_LeeM
    sasy20
    [...]

I understand what you are asking, but I think you might be confusing a few things.  The NVIDIA rep is likely also referring to a different issue than the one you are worried about.

The early issue with the batch of RTX cards (referred to by the NVIDIA rep) was not an industry-wide issue, but rather an NVIDIA-brand RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition issue caused by defective/mis-tested cards accidentally packaged for retail.  You can read about that here: .  I don't think the rep was very clear about what he was discussing.  That issue also was related only to NVIDIA-brand cards, and not partner cards made by companies like EVGA.

This is different than other reports of issues that various customers have had.  Overall, 20-Series cards have a failure rate in-line with previous generations of cards.  Just be careful of trying to read too much into people having issues and trying to correlate those issues with ones you have or worry about having.  It will drive you crazy that way.

yes man .... i don't mean 2080 ti Failure ... i mean RTX 2080 Failure ... 

like this one
    www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/b1mfon/3rd_asus_rtx_2080_failed_under_rma_more_than_upset/
    or
    youtube.com/watch?v=OdkniLSN0DA
    and other rtx 2070 2080 Failure cards!

Should I keep my RTX 2080 black edition while i know i can't use warranty! ( bc of country can't use warranty )
    Or I should sell my rtx 2080 and buy a RTX 2070 Super!!! ( never heard a problem with Super series! )

post edited by sasy20 - 2019/08/19 11:24:55
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 11:21:51 (permalink)
    Looks like you're trying to post links.  The forums will not allow you to post links until you hit 11 posts, as a standard anti-spam measure for all new members. 
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 11:36:02 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Looks like you're trying to post links.  The forums will not allow you to post links until you hit 11 posts, as a standard anti-spam measure for all new members. 

Edited!
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 11:55:25 (permalink)
    It can always happen. This is the risk that you take when buying a card. If you cannot use the warranty in your country, like you are saying, then that is also the risk you take when buying a card. Maybe return the card and go with a company that does support a warranty in your country? There are other companies that are on the same quality level (or, possibly better depending on who you talk to), like Asus. I bought one of the first Asus 2080Ti cards and haven't had any issues. I also have the Micron memory. 
    sasy20
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 12:03:22 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    It can always happen. This is the risk that you take when buying a card. If you cannot use the warranty in your country, like you are saying, then that is also the risk you take when buying a card. Maybe return the card and go with a company that does support a warranty in your country? There are other companies that are on the same quality level (or, possibly better depending on who you talk to), like Asus. I bought one of the first Asus 2080Ti cards and haven't had any issues. I also have the Micron memory. 

There is warranty for GPUS and MB and... in iran, but you should pay sometimes 50% more than normal price only for 2-3 years warranty ... and they are not nice with you!!!! ( life in a trash country!!!! )

I'm not talking about risk that all electronic items has!

I'm talking about risk with RTX 2080 Failure!!! i still don't know about it enough ...

it seems my card was made earlier 2019 ... maybe nvidia or evga prevented that problem and it's not  gonna die like RTX 2070-2080 that died!  

I dont know i'm still confused! maybe i should keep it and it will be ok ... or maybe i should sell it and buy a RTX 2070 super... or low end card and wait for 3070 ..... really confused help me pls
    post edited by sasy20 - 2019/08/19 12:11:22
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: My rtx 2080 is gonna die or not? 2019/08/19 12:08:18 (permalink)
    sasy20
    chrisdglong

There is warranty for GPUS and MB and ... but you should pay sometimes 50% more than normal price only for 2-3 years warranty ... and they are not nice with you!!!! ( life in a trash country!!!! )

I'm not talking about risk that all electronic items has!

I'm not talking about risk RTX 2080 Failure!!! i still don't know about it enough ...

Well, again, that is the price you have to pay and you have to take on that risk when buying any electronic. They do sometimes fail. The failure rate is higher usually after the warranty period, which is why the offer the warranty period that they do. More than likely, you will be fine. I am usually more concerned about coil whine than the GPU failing before the warranty expires. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile