My EVGA Obsession

Author
HDonaldson
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/29 09:43:22 (permalink)

My EVGA Obsession

Preface - I’m relatively new to the computer/technology side of life, I’ve pushed back for a long time and I’m certain it has everything to do with my age. However, a few years back, I found free, open-source, 3d modeling and animation and lost track of my days as I was inherently stuck to the computer for 16 hrs/day, lost in the possibilities! It immediately became obvious, though, how lacking I was on the rendering side, which led me to the next obsession, hardware. All that research led me to understand rendering and why any CGI is so expensive…it really is hard to justify on the small scale.

But, what I did find in my research was an amazing set of hardware for the little guy, and that readers, is EVGA. Looking back in their history, they had an old-school business model, create the best product you can…without compromising on quality of components. They’ve done well following it, as the product line histories have shown and it’s gotten them to the point they’re at now, producing the finest products that are filled with top-quality components, that give you no issues.

I have purchased their entire x299 motherboard line, three PSU’s, two AIO coolers, one each of GTX 1060, 1070, 1080…and a partridge in a pear tree. Not one product has given me one hiccup or hint of a problem/issue. Then there’s aesthetics, we all have to admit they have it going on, they’re **** looks good!

My obsession continues to this day with my recent purchase of the Nu Audio card…

Review – I haven’t needed an audio card yet and I’ve got basic speakers and basic headphones, but with EVGA’s markdown I decided to go ahead and purchase. As with all of their other products, I was not disappointed, this was a wonderful blend of simple, consumer functionality and aesthetics.

Most top-end motherboards will have quality audio built-in, but no one can deny that having a dedicated card will produce a better end result. This audio card is no exception, as it produces a crisp and clear sound that makes my basic speakers and headphones sound great! So much so, that I've been torn with whether to upgrade them or not. I know I must be missing out on some of the quality that EVGA has given by using my low end equipment, but the card makes them sound so good, I haven't been able to justify the expense! I enjoyed my new card so much and their markdown still going on, that I decided to purchase a second Nu Audio, for one of the other computers.

I had done some preemptive research and come across the term ‘switchable op-amp’, which there happen to be two on this card! I had no clue about them or the term, but I did find a review of a man who did seem to know and he was specifically talking about EVGA’s Nu Audio card. He had discussed the different possibilities that different op-amps afford and since I was able to save a pretty penny on my purchase, I decided to go ahead and invest in an op-amp replacement for the Nu-Audio card, to find out for myself. As the man’s review had stated, there was a noticeable difference and I found myself again, realizing my basic speakers and headphones sounding noticeably better. This by no means, is meant to dismiss EVGA’s use of their chosen op-amp, quite the contrary. Did I need to buy an op-amp to enjoy their product? Not in the least, but I feel the fact you can switch, means they are not so ‘stuck-on-themselves’ as to force you to one or the other of what they may see to be the best. The ability to switch is just one more level they given you, as a consumer, to customize your world.

If you are on-the-fence about this purchase, rest assured you will not be disappointed. If you don't believe my words, than do your own searching as I've said nothing that hasn't been said by others.

For me...my obsession continues.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile