Mouse and Keyboard lights stay on after Shut down

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2018/03/18 22:31:25 (permalink)

Just had this issue start up again after the most recent W10 update a couple of days ago.

Fixed it by going to "System Settings" > "Power & Sleep Settings", then click "Additional power settings" link on the right, on the popup screen click "choose what the power buttons do" link on the left side, then set "When I press the power button" to 'Shut Down' from the drop-down menu. ..but wait that's not all. Then above that option, click "change settings that are currently unavailable" at the top of the window, and in the 'Shut Down Settings' list below, uncheck the "Turn on fast startup", then save changes... that's what fixed it for me, particularly unchecking that fast startup bit. Btw, it doesn't seem to have slowed down my startup time.

post edited by Nereus - 2018/06/16 21:05:54

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

11 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/03/19 12:56:29 (permalink)
    Curious if after a reboot (Windows saves a new fast start file) if you turn fast start back on do those mouse & keyboard light stay on again?

This issue is with your signature MB - Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/03/19 13:33:11 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    This issue is with your signature MB - Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero ?

Yes this issue is with my signature setup - ASUS IX Hero and Windows 10 Pro 64bit, version 1709, and started with the most recent cumulative update a few days ago (3/14/2018). I'm aware of the BIOS setting ErP ready to S5, but that didn't fix it this time... previously the lights would go out on shutdown, but if I touched any key, the keyboard would light up again, even though the system was shutdown. Since this recent Windows update, the keyboard was remaining lighted 24/7 (I really want to say "lit" but apparently that is not correct use of the word, since I didn't actually set the keyboard on fire, lol).

Cool GTX
    Curious if after a reboot (Windows saves a new fast start file) if you turn fast start back on do those mouse & keyboard light stay on again?

Didn't consider that, so I just tested it. I turned fast start back on in Windows Shutdown Settings and the keyboard remained lighted when I shutdown, so that appears to confirm the issue is with the o/s settings not the hardware (or at least how the hardware interprets the windows settings?).

post edited by Nereus - 2018/03/19 13:37:22

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/03/19 13:53:01 (permalink)
    Maybe turning off ERP/EUP in the Bios? But also known to be an issue on ROG Motherboards.
    Some Power Supplies also have issue with ERP/EUP as well.
    You may also want to turn off Fast Boot in the Bios as well.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/03/19 14:01:42

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/03/19 14:04:23 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Maybe turning off ERP/EUP in the Bios? But also known to be an issue on ROG Motherboards.

Already had changed ERP setting in BIOS long time ago to at least stop keyboard lighting up, even though it would light up if I touched any key. With new Windows update, it remains lighted 24/7.

Fast boot is still on in BIOS, it's now off in Windows Shutdown Settings. Since turning it off in Windows settings, there appears to be no difference in time taken to start up again, so perhaps BIOS fast startup is independent of Windows fast startup setting, which makes the Windows one unnecessary, and also fixes the issue with the keyboard lights.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/04/05 04:56:14 (permalink)
    Nereus
    bcavnaugh

Already had changed ERP setting in BIOS long time ago to at least stop keyboard lighting up, even though it would light up if I touched any key. With new Windows update, it remains lighted 24/7.

Fast boot is still on in BIOS, it's now off in Windows Shutdown Settings. Since turning it off in Windows settings, there appears to be no difference in time taken to start up again, so perhaps BIOS fast startup is independent of Windows fast startup setting, which makes the Windows one unnecessary, and also fixes the issue with the keyboard lights.

bios and windows fast startup are two different things, in windows its kinda like hibernate were it saves your page file and reloads it, was mostly intended to speed up windows load time on HDD's, but since ssd's are so much faster it is basically worthless and causes more problems than it's worth. bios fast start is more of skipping some tests at post, you may find that the time from when you push the power button to when windows starts to load will be shorter. 

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/04/05 09:19:26 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    Nereus
    bcavnaugh

bios and windows fast startup are two different things, in windows its kinda like hibernate were it saves your page file and reloads it, was mostly intended to speed up windows load time on HDD's, but since ssd's are so much faster it is basically worthless and causes more problems than it's worth. bios fast start is more of skipping some tests at post, you may find that the time from when you push the power button to when windows starts to load will be shorter. 

Thanks for the clarification Quadlette. Windows o/s fast boot was definitely the culprit.

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/04/17 19:57:34 (permalink)
    Nereus
    quadlatte
    Nereus
    bcavnaugh

Thanks for the clarification Quadlette. Windows o/s fast boot was definitely the culprit.

the very first thing i disable after a install, they really need to remove it.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/06/01 18:33:21 (permalink)

...and the latest Windows 'update' resets this again.. grrr...

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/06/01 21:29:56 (permalink)
    Nereus

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/06/02 18:43:25 (permalink)
    Nereus

Yep same...a real pain. I've gotten to the point where I check if it's re-enabled after every update.

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10336
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Mouse and Motherboard lights stay on after Shut down 2018/06/04 07:15:58 (permalink)
    mike406
    Nereus

Yep same...a real pain. I've gotten to the point where I check if it's re-enabled after every update.

+1.  I also make sure to disable Hibernation after every big update...> Command Prompt "Admin" - powercfg.exe /hibernate off or on

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile