Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode [SOLVED]

Author
jmdz06
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/05/31 12:31:30 (permalink)
Hello,

I have a multi-monitor setup (2 on DP and one on HDMI) with a GTX 1080 Ti and Win 10 64-bit. I've noticed that for the past several weeks (maybe 8 or so) that when my monitors enter standby mode due to PC inactivity, there's a 50-50 shot that when I move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard that they will not turn on. I have the monitor sleep time set to 30 minutes, but the PC sleep setting is disabled. The PC functions normally otherwise (I get music/youtube to play and the like) and I don't see any errors in the system event viewer suggesting there was a GPU driver issue. 

What I've tried:
- Unplugging the cables and plugging them back in
- turning the monitors power off/on
- updating GPU drivers (445.87 - that was the second time I tried updating drivers)
- Different combinations of monitors (ie all 3, different pairs and only 1)
- different DP ports

The only way I've been able to resolve the issue is to manually power down the PC and restart it. 

I tried searching this and other forums, but it seems the only results I can find are related to the PC entering sleep mode which doesn't pertain to my issue. 

Any thoughts?

post edited by jmdz06 - 2020/06/24 07:47:57

EVGA 680i AR
E8400 @ 4.0ghz (
GTX 260 core 216 SLI      
4 gb Corsair Dominator     
640gb WD Black x 2 RAID 0
640gb WD Black x 1
Tt 700w
Tt Armor
Zalman fan control/wattage monitor
Dual Boot Vista 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/05/31 12:52:25 (permalink)
    Run this tool from Nvidia:  DP 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could blank screens on boot until the OS loads or Hang on Boot

also make sure that if your monitor has "Deep Sleep" .. you have turned it off

Yes, sounds like a BIOS, Windows or Driver update was the cause of this new issue

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Kbird666
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/06/20 16:46:15 (permalink)
    jmdz06
    Hello,

I have a multi-monitor setup (2 on DP and one on HDMI) with a GTX 1080 Ti and Win 10 64-bit. I've noticed that for the past several weeks (maybe 8 or so) that when my monitors enter standby mode due to PC inactivity, there's a 50-50 shot that when I move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard that they will not turn on. I have the monitor sleep time set to 30 minutes, but the PC sleep setting is disabled. The PC functions normally otherwise (I get music/youtube to play and the like) and I don't see any errors in the system event viewer suggesting there was a GPU driver issue. 

What I've tried:
    - updating GPU drivers (445.87 - that was the second time I tried updating drivers)
    - different DP ports

The only way I've been able to resolve the issue is to manually power down the PC and restart it. 

I tried searching this and other forums, but it seems the only results I can find are related to the PC entering sleep mode which doesn't pertain to my issue. 

Any thoughts?

Late reply but I haven't been to the forum in a while ---

I had/Have the same issue with my 1070 Ti FTW2 but the advise hear from Sajin I believe was to remove the Nvidia HD Audio Driver and this has seemed to mitigate the Issue - until 446.14 - then it was back but seems to have stopped again and reinstalling the Drivers

I'll see if I can find the Post from last year...  EVGA even sent me a new Card as they thought it was the Card and Benq swapped out my monitors as well , as did Startech for the DP cables but the only thing that helped was Sajin's advice.

KB.

Sorry could find it ....maybe it was late 2018? I can't look that far back apparently so @Sajin  will maybe drop in and confirm.

post edited by Kbird666 - 2020/06/20 17:00:25

GByte Z590 Aorus Elite AX MB + 11700K
    32GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3200mhz
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
    EVGA G6 850watt P.S.
    (3) 32" BenQ BL3200PT Monitors (CAD-WS)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/06/20 19:17:33 (permalink)
    Yep, removing the nvidia hd audio driver, and only running the standard microsoft driver will help with sleep issues. 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/06/22 07:27:34 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Yep, removing the nvidia hd audio driver, and only running the standard microsoft driver will help with sleep issues. 

It's not a sleep issue. The issue is the monitors are not showing a display after they are in standby. The system is still running and has not entered sleep mode.

jmdz06
    Hello,

What I've tried:
    - different DP ports

Any thoughts?

You might, as a test,  have to go clear back to say the 411.XX driver series. What version of Windows 10 are you using?
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2020/06/22 07:35:12

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

jmdz06
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/06/24 07:53:58 (permalink)
    Hey all - 

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've managed to figure it out...

After pulling out what little hair I had a bit of luck. There was another recurring issue that I hadn't connected to this one - when gaming (and only while gaming), the displays would randomly go blank and the only way to recover was to restart the PC. It would happen no matter what game and at seemingly random intervals. One time when I reset the computer, right after POST, I got a message saying something about making sure the video card power was connected. Odd, but I heeded the advice and made sure all the connections were tight - at the PSU, at the GPU and at the MOBO for good measure. After that little back-to-basics (seriously, is it plugged in?!) exercise, I'm now 11 days free of both the random crashes and all 3 monitors will wake up from sleep as expected. 

So, moral of the story... don't skip the basics :)

EVGA 680i AR
    E8400 @ 4.0ghz (
    GTX 260 core 216 SLI      
    4 gb Corsair Dominator     
    640gb WD Black x 2 RAID 0
    640gb WD Black x 1
    Tt 700w
    Tt Armor
    Zalman fan control/wattage monitor
    Dual Boot Vista 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/06/24 10:51:57 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Monitors don't always turn on after they are in standby mode 2020/06/24 11:30:30 (permalink)
    jmdz06
    Hey all - 

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've managed to figure it out...

After pulling out what little hair I had a bit of luck. There was another recurring issue that I hadn't connected to this one - when gaming (and only while gaming), the displays would randomly go blank and the only way to recover was to restart the PC. It would happen no matter what game and at seemingly random intervals. One time when I reset the computer, right after POST, I got a message saying something about making sure the video card power was connected. Odd, but I heeded the advice and made sure all the connections were tight - at the PSU, at the GPU and at the MOBO for good measure. After that little back-to-basics (seriously, is it plugged in?!) exercise, I'm now 11 days free of both the random crashes and all 3 monitors will wake up from sleep as expected. 

So, moral of the story... don't skip the basics :)

Yep its usually the details that get you.

Power cables sometimes get very tight before they are fully installed - or - one of the wires backs up a bit in the plastic socket  that is why I press on the wires when installing

Checking Power connections should always be one of the first thing anyone does & reinstalling in the PCIe slot

Glad you got it sorted

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile