EVGA

Mistakes made while building pc

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Chabbert
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/25 12:43:03 (permalink)
bought a noname bluetooth dongle and left it plugged into the onboard usb of my mobo, it led to many days of headscratching as the system would randomly tank when it tried to enter a low power state, the bt dongle was the last thing I thought to check.

4790k/970-16gb ddr3-h100i-corsair hx1200i-phanteks enthoo pro-hope
razor_pk
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/27 15:46:49 (permalink)
1.Never Overbuild a PC. · 2.Never buy a cheap quality power supply. · 3.If you've power surges at your place, install a UPS higher than your power supply wattage.
razor_pk
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/28 13:45:47 (permalink)
always buy a pc that could be upgraded in the future without selling the component and buy another.  in that case, I m talking about PSU , mobo, and casing. 
TheStatusKuo
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/28 14:27:59 (permalink)
Refusing to upgrade my OS. I kept Windows 7 on my PC for way longer than I'd like to admit. I ran into SO MANY stupid unexplainable software, hardware, and driver glitches that I just chalked up to "custom PC" flavor. They just kept piling up over the years. Every single hardware upgrade came with days of troubleshooting. Registry edits, installing custom drivers, etc. It felt like my OS was held together with duct tape and twine. 

My experience with Windows 8 on my older laptop at the time was a dumpster fire. Once bitten, twice shy. My new laptop with Win10 finally made it a palatable experience. Did an in-place OS upgrade on my desktop. Everything...EVERYTHING just worked. Compatibility is like oxygen. You don't truly appreciate how essential it is until it's gone.
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11099
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/28 18:36:21 (permalink)
Remember long ago how much of a PITA to put the heatsink on the socket?
Had to push down so hard to get the square opening on the spring bar over the tab on the socket.
Were supposed to use a nut driver, but I used a screwdriver, it slid off and gouged the MB really bad
Scraped off some of those small parts everyone wonders what exactly they do.
I found out what they did. They make the motherboard work since it didn't work without them.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/29 03:33:13 (permalink)
TheStatusKuo
Refusing to upgrade my OS. I kept Windows 7 on my PC for way longer than I'd like to admit. I ran into SO MANY stupid unexplainable software, hardware, and driver glitches that I just chalked up to "custom PC" flavor. They just kept piling up over the years. Every single hardware upgrade came with days of troubleshooting. Registry edits, installing custom drivers, etc. It felt like my OS was held together with duct tape and twine. 

My experience with Windows 8 on my older laptop at the time was a dumpster fire. Once bitten, twice shy. My new laptop with Win10 finally made it a palatable experience. Did an in-place OS upgrade on my desktop. Everything...EVERYTHING just worked. Compatibility is like oxygen. You don't truly appreciate how essential it is until it's gone.

You must be new to custom building and O/S installs cause windows 7 was about as good as it will ever get for Windows. It looked good, there wasnt any services or settings that you were locked out of like in 10, it had some telemetry but it was easily shut down and stayed that way.....imagine that! It didnt force you into updates of silly programs besides security. It had about half as many working services,52-68 wheras 10 has 125 at least, so it was a way snappier experience and thankfully, they didnt cram the windows mobile services into it for nothin. If there was ever a O/S that was terrible from start to finish, besides windows ME, its windows 10. Its a abomination. Now dont get me wrong, 7 has a few issues too but nothing like 10 and im pretty sure 11 is going to be as bad or even worse.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4642
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/29 05:24:45 (permalink)
wmmills
TheStatusKuo

You must be new to custom building and O/S installs cause windows 7 was about as good as it will ever get for Windows. It looked good, there wasnt any services or settings that you were locked out of like in 10, it had some telemetry but it was easily shut down and stayed that way.....imagine that! It didnt force you into updates of silly programs besides security. It had about half as many working services,52-68 wheras 10 has 125 at least, so it was a way snappier experience and thankfully, they didnt cram the windows mobile services into it for nothin. If there was ever a O/S that was terrible from start to finish, besides windows ME, its windows 10. Its a abomination. Now dont get me wrong, 7 has a few issues too but nothing like 10 and im pretty sure 11 is going to be as bad or even worse.

Truer words have never been written. Windows is on its way to becoming a black hole.

TheStatusKuo
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/29 13:56:19 (permalink)
wmmills

Your use of "it" when you talk about software is an interesting choice. Been building computers with my dad in the dial-up days. I remember enjoying the amount of control we got from NT, XP, that then carried on to Win7. I enjoyed that it was designed to obey the user, sometimes reluctantly. I'll agree that Win10 is not a step in the right direction for consumer rights. I think it's absolutely idiotic that Microsoft makes WinUpdate reinstall bloatware and services I already removed. I still remember the moment I vowed never to use Skype again: when "quitting" the app only minimized it to the system tray and there wasn't an option to change that. It's eerie watching the insidious creep of control being taken away from end users. We're no longer the target audience. People made choices when they designed this software. It is functioning exactly the way it was designed to. It's a damn shame that the designers don't see a problem with overriding the choices and preferences of people like us, but they answer to a higher call with a larger wallet. Before I take a drink from my Mountain Dew Verification Can, I'll pour one out for consumer rights.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/07/31 00:23:59 (permalink)
TheStatusKuo
wmmills

Your use of "it" when you talk about software is an interesting choice. Been building computers with my dad in the dial-up days. I remember enjoying the amount of control we got from NT, XP, that then carried on to Win7. I enjoyed that it was designed to obey the user, sometimes reluctantly. I'll agree that Win10 is not a step in the right direction for consumer rights. I think it's absolutely idiotic that Microsoft makes WinUpdate reinstall bloatware and services I already removed. I still remember the moment I vowed never to use Skype again: when "quitting" the app only minimized it to the system tray and there wasn't an option to change that. It's eerie watching the insidious creep of control being taken away from end users. We're no longer the target audience. People made choices when they designed this software. It is functioning exactly the way it was designed to. It's a damn shame that the designers don't see a problem with overriding the choices and preferences of people like us, but they answer to a higher call with a larger wallet. Before I take a drink from my Mountain Dew Verification Can, I'll pour one out for consumer rights.

It IS a damn shame and i have to ask, dont you think the collective wallet of all the consumers is even larger and SHOULD be more important? Its simple greed, maniacal control and psychopathy thats pushing the stupid weve seen manifest in tech and it NEEDs to be fixed sooner rather than later, especially with AI on the horizon. The programmers out there better find there collective nutz or humanity might as well check out now and get ahead of the disaster.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Cyberfly
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/08/01 03:33:12 (permalink)
bill1024
Remember long ago how much of a PITA to put the heatsink on the socket?
Had to push down so hard to get the square opening on the spring bar over the tab on the socket.
Were supposed to use a nut driver, but I used a screwdriver, it slid off and gouged the MB really bad
Scraped off some of those small parts everyone wonders what exactly they do.
I found out what they did. They make the motherboard work since it didn't work without them.

I used a flat head screw driver to install a cooler onto an AMD K7. Slipped and scratched some traced off the motherboard. :(
Matis78
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/08/17 18:08:51 (permalink)
I made a few mistakes with purchasing wrong cables for the GPU (extension cables), also took me a while to figure out the fan headers in order to get them all to work appropriately and make sure i can control them via hub.
RogueMaster
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/08/17 20:40:02 (permalink)
Buying anything from Asus. They provide absolutely zero support after the sale.

Winterfellow
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 156
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/08/26 13:16:27 (permalink)
I too bought some of the wrong cable extensions. 

Did not update BIOS at first.  It fixed my audio issue once I did.
Hypodermics
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Mistakes made while building pc 2021/08/26 16:00:46 (permalink)
I forgot to plug in the power supply for the CPU, and then wondered why it wasn't posting. In my defense last time I built a computer was ages and ages ago, where I just had to plug in the 12 pin

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile