EVGA

Missing SPDIF Output

Author
esarhaddon
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/07/31 08:51:56 (permalink)
I have a problem that just popped up about 2 months ago. On certain websites, I can't get any output from the SPDIF channel. The Headphone Plug works but I want it to be output to my stereo which is via SPDIF. Now I am wondering if It might be that those few sites don't send out a digital signal, but I can't see that because EVERYTHING over the internet is digital. Any Ideas?

6 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Missing SPDIF Output 2022/08/01 05:53:24 (permalink)
    I would guess that it is a HDCP issue preventing some content from being transmitted.
    That being said, the NU Audio card is nothing special over a $40 card or a motherboard's "free" SPDIF output, if you are using the SPDIF output instead of the expensive analog circuitry you paid for. You should use the analog outputs out of the NU Audio card if you want to get what you paid for.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

esarhaddon
    Re: Missing SPDIF Output 2022/08/01 06:08:29 (permalink)
    ty_ger07, You obviously don't have a clue what is inside an EVGA NU card. Starting with an AK4493 with a THD+N at -113db>
    Fully shielded and switch-able Op-Amps. Analogue Rewcording at 384/32 and 192/24 mic input. Audio class Capsa and resistors. and the list just goes on.
    Now I have one of the Best MoBos on the market (ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix Gaming) and Its built-in audio CHIP and that is it a chip, doesn't come close to what this Audio card can do.
    I did find out what caused this and it turned out not to have anything to do with my Web source, Audio card, or computer, it was the limitation of my NAD receivers input. My NAD totally blocks out any out-of-bounds signal that it can't decode. As far as your Uneducated bashing of a product you know nothing about...
    I get so tired of amateurs trying to sound legit.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Missing SPDIF Output 2022/08/01 07:29:16 (permalink)
    esarhaddon
    ty_ger07, You obviously don't have a clue what is inside an EVGA NU card. Starting with an AK4493 with a THD+N at -113db>
    Fully shielded and switch-able Op-Amps. Analogue Rewcording at 384/32 and 192/24 mic input. Audio class Capsa and resistors. and the list just goes on.

I know.
    My point was that none of that stuff is used if you use the SPDIF output. The SPDIF output is digital passthrough straight from your CPU. Any motherboard or any other $40 card with SPDIF passthrough will sound identical, because they are also using the exact same unaltered digital passthrough signal. It is a bit-perfect digital signal which will be exactly the same regardless of how expensive or cheap the sound card is.
    If you want to use all that cool stuff you just listed off, you need to use one of the card's analog outputs. The card does not convert to analog, do all its analog stuff, and then convert back to digital for the SPDIF output; the SPDIF output completely skips all the cool components you listed.

What is this amateur bashing stuff? Are you okay?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/08/01 07:52:37

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

esarhaddon
    Re: Missing SPDIF Output 2022/08/01 09:17:43 (permalink)
    And some of that is true and some of it isn't. I only listed a few of the features and did not intend it ended with that. If it was just a simple innocuous pass-through, the card itself wouldn't even have any purpose for the S/PDIF out and would be left with only your MoBo's out. I can switch between two sources and the sound quality is hugely different and if I want to listen through my headphones (the analog section) it is like having a $500/$1000 DAC installed. Now even though I majored in Electronics Eng in college I have not studied the particulars of this subject, but it isn't as simple as what you state and if you noticed my previous answer where I stated the resolution I found, there is more to it when it comes to the sound cards influence. If it were just a simple pass-through of a digital signal then changing the Sound depth and resolution in the card's DAC would have NO effect and my resultant sound is heard from both the card vs the motherboard, but it is different. Also, there are things like 'Modern' AV receivers won't include AM/FM components. Yes, part of the reason is that Over-the-Air radio is on its way out being replaced with online streaming, which I am listening to a radio station right now over the internet. But that isn't the only reason. Though MOST of the circuitry in a modern stereo is digital in nature, letting the analog signal into the BOX gives an opportunity for spurious signals to be introduced internally. That is what is expressed specifically by Anthem dealers. Now if a simple antenna lead can leak such signals into what is inside and can affect those digital signals, there must be a reason. Inside these EVGA NU cards, there is the Analog section that can introduce, in theory, a backed signal, into the digital portions just like in an AV Reciever. Similarly the Power Supply. Now again not having studied this card's circuitry I can't speak to this beyond theory. There is also Error Correction, Buffering, and so many aspects that influence the signal. Digital is clean, but it has to be reconstituted all along the path. Even to the point that the digital signal gets influenced when a lost digit gets INTERPRETED by the circuit. We see this a lot in Digital Disks. That is the reason that there is a huge difference in different disk players Not all are created equally. But if I take your theory to the next level, a disk player only takes a know recorded static digital source and passes it through the S/PDIF cable to the DAC in my AMP, W/O influencing it, and that just isn't even close to the truth. Disk players need some of the best error correction. Just like HOW the Digital is transferred from the Gold Fingers on the card to the S/PDIF socket on the Back of the card. Not all paths are equal. I will speak on this subject in a clearer analogy again the Stereo. I changed my TOSLINK cable from My SACD player to my AMP. the sound was tremendously better. But that is just a passthrough isn't it? Digital in and digital out. And an infrared signal over 1 meter. How can that be? Not all cables are created equal. Is it plastic or glass? If plastic, how is it terminated? Is it just some generic plastic cable smudged against a hot plate or is it a specialized Polimer formula that is terminated with a specialized polishing technique? Inside this card, how is this handled by the factory? How good of a job did the engineers do designing this for the best possible performance or how much influence did the accounting dept have on the cost of the manufacturing influence it? I know something about the design of my ROG STRIX MoBo and though ASUS has some of the Best engineers, their hands are tied by their manufacturing dept, which isn't so great and which is heavily degraded by the accounting dept. Thus when looking an addon/secondary portion of a MoBo like the AUDIO, I would not put much faith in it, even though ASUS really Braggs about their audio.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Missing SPDIF Output 2022/08/01 11:07:49 (permalink)
    Esarhaddon,

You have now posted twice challenging someone because you believe,
    But before you go further: https://www.evga.com/Support/AudioCard/

You may want to actually read on how SPDIF out on the Nu Audio works, from EVGA and Audio Note.. just a forewarning, Audio Note and the Nu Audio card advertise ANALOG signal, and state, very clearly, that SPDIF is just a TOSLINK Passthrough on this card.

In the end, none of the other stuff you are stating matters. No one, but you, is discussing every other component in the world or CD players… strictly the SPDIF out on the Nu audio and SPDIF out on motherboards, nothing else…

https://www.evga.com/supp...les/712-P1-AN21-KR.pdf SPDIF (TOSLINK PASSTHROUGH)

The digital signal going through the SPDIF is just passed through to the receiver. Adjusting the settings may alter the digital signal you are transmitting and receiving, but it still isn’t going through the analog section of the Nu Audio cards, it is just passing by in the way to the S/PDIF port, through digital chips on board.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/08/01 11:24:18
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Missing SPDIF Output 2022/08/01 15:13:45 (permalink)
    That was an impressive wall of information, but nothing you can really grab ahold of. Your experience and opinion doesn't align with the design of the product.
    Do you know what works better than gold-plated contacts? Not needing to use contacts at all.
    esarhaddon
    If it was just a simple innocuous pass-through, the card itself wouldn't even have any purpose for the S/PDIF out and would be left with only your MoBo's out.

Exactly. It is kind of pointless, huh?
    Use the analog outputs if you want to reap the benefits of the product. Applying digital effects to a digital signal isn't really worth the expense of all the unused analog circuitry. You can apply digital effects to a digital signal much cheaper using alternate solutions.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/08/03 12:23:26

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile