EVGA

Might've gotten semi scammed?

Author
dvduong92
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/17 21:00:32 (permalink)
Decided to buy a second hand "1080 Ti FTW3". Upon registering the product, EVGA populated the device as "1080 Ti FTW3 DT". I loaded up GPU-Z and the device ID matches a non-DT model of "10DE 1B06 - 3842 6696". Looking at the part number on the backplate shows 6694 which is the DT model. Can one somehow change the device ID in GPU-Z? And how can I verify that its a non-DT or DT model? The original box doesn't show DT on it and upon looking at other DT boxes on google, it usually does. The sticker on the box doesn't seem to be tampered with. Help.

18 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/17 23:58:35 (permalink)
    dvduong92
    Decided to buy a second hand "1080 Ti FTW3". Upon registering the product, EVGA populated the device as "1080 Ti FTW3 DT". I loaded up GPU-Z and the device ID matches a non-DT model of "10DE 1B06 - 3842 6696". Looking at the part number on the backplate shows 6694 which is the DT model. Can one somehow change the device ID in GPU-Z? And how can I verify that its a non-DT or DT model? The original box doesn't show DT on it and upon looking at other DT boxes on google, it usually does. The sticker on the box doesn't seem to be tampered with. Help.

If that's what the serial number gave you when registering the device with evga, then yes, that's what it is... a DT. Yes, you can change the bios files and of course get other parts and broken "donation" gpu's to swap parts if you have to or you want to be a scumbag and rip someone off. How did you pay for it and where did you buy it?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 03:07:36 (permalink)
    did the seller send the EVGA Part number that they advertised ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 12:56:06 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

+1

If not, time to start a case if you bought it off ebay.
    dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 21:08:16 (permalink)
    wmmills
    dvduong92

If that's what the serial number gave you when registering the device with evga, then yes, that's what it is... a DT. Yes, you can change the bios files and of course get other parts and broken "donation" gpu's to swap parts if you have to or you want to be a scumbag and rip someone off. How did you pay for it and where did you buy it?

I bought it off hardwareswap on reddit
    dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 21:09:17 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

His post showed GPU-Z with 6696
    dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 21:10:31 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Cool GTX

+1

I bought it off /r/hardwareswap. Is there anything I can do if it was a PayPal invoice?
    ExiledMafia
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 21:12:50 (permalink)
    I would contact him first, but unless the PayPal invoice specifically calls out that exact part number you were expecting might be tough
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/18 23:10:40 (permalink)
    dvduong92
    Sajin
    Cool GTX

+1

I bought it off /r/hardwareswap. Is there anything I can do if it was a PayPal invoice?

Yes, tell paypal right now whats going on and tell them you want to put a stop on the funds, if that's possible at this point. I don't know how long this has been.Then contact the buyer, who absolutely knew what he was doing from the sound of it, and give him the choice of taking the gpu back or taking the appropriate amount of money, if that's still possible at this point for ya. When did you buy it and when did you receive it?
    https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security 

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/19 23:28:48 (permalink)
    wmmills
    dvduong92
    Sajin
    Cool GTX

+1

Yes, tell paypal right now whats going on and tell them you want to put a stop on the funds, if that's possible at this point. I don't know how long this has been.Then contact the buyer, who absolutely knew what he was doing from the sound of it, and give him the choice of taking the gpu back or taking the appropriate amount of money, if that's still possible at this point for ya. When did you buy it and when did you receive it?

I bought it on the 12th and received it on the 16th. I will contact him, how much do you think is a reasonable price difference between DT and non-DT?
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/20 03:04:28 (permalink)
    dvduong92
    wmmills
    dvduong92
    Sajin
    Cool GTX

+1

I bought it on the 12th and received it on the 16th. I will contact him, how much do you think is a reasonable price difference between DT and non-DT?

Take the percentage difference from a new MSRP DT versus non DT and apply that to the price you paid for the GPU. Ie if the difference was 5%,  take 5% off the price you paid.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/20 22:45:51 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    dvduong92
    wmmills
    dvduong92
    Sajin
    Cool GTX

+1

Take the percentage difference from a new MSRP DT versus non DT and apply that to the price you paid for the GPU. Ie if the difference was 5%,  take 5% off the price you paid.

I can't find the MSRP for the DT model anywhere online. If I'm correct, the MSRP for the 1080 Ti FTW3 when it first came out was $779.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/20 23:26:59 (permalink)
    I would be making sure the card is working good with some benchmarks and stress tests and be contacting him about it right off the bat. If the card is working good I would then consider how important it is for you to go after him for scamming you. Money wise the difference probably would not be worth the effort you would be putting into it unless you wanted to return the card and get all your money back which would be a tough fight that you might not win.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/21 16:07:12 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I would be making sure the card is working good with some benchmarks and stress tests and be contacting him about it right off the bat. If the card is working good I would then consider how important it is for you to go after him for scamming you. Money wise the difference probably would not be worth the effort you would be putting into it unless you wanted to return the card and get all your money back which would be a tough fight that you might not win.

I just did some heaven and super position tests. Card was running at 1936 MHz core and 5508 MHz memory without an "overclock". He did flash the bios to the non-DT FTW3 edition. I can't add more than 45 MHz to the core without it crashing though. What do you think about those numbers?
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/21 23:47:21 (permalink)
    The numbers seem fine for a 1080Ti. I just was wondering if you noticed any graphical glitches or anything else that would make you worry about the card. My original comment is about how much of your free time is it worth to contact the guy and Paypal to try to get the difference and all the documentation and back and forth that would involve. It would feel good as a moral victory to get that money but I feel you might be working on something for less then minimum wage and that is if you win. If you have the free time then it's good to go after it but know things like this are often times not worth the stress and frustration that it can cause.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/24 16:12:59 (permalink)
    dvduong92
    Hoggle

I just did some heaven and super position tests. Card was running at 1936 MHz core and 5508 MHz memory without an "overclock". He did flash the bios to the non-DT FTW3 edition. I can't add more than 45 MHz to the core without it crashing though. What do you think about those numbers?

IOW, you're running stable with stock FTW clocks but you can't get more than a couple of bins higher on core clocks? Quite a few folks have trouble just getting a stable FTW. So...I don't know what to advise here. Just as an aside, you don't adjust the core clock in 1mhz steps it actually goes in ~12.5mhz steps. So your first OC setting would be +13, then +25 then +37 and etc etc...

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/24 16:17:04 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    The numbers seem fine for a 1080Ti. I just was wondering if you noticed any graphical glitches or anything else that would make you worry about the card. My original comment is about how much of your free time is it worth to contact the guy and Paypal to try to get the difference and all the documentation and back and forth that would involve. It would feel good as a moral victory to get that money but I feel you might be working on something for less then minimum wage and that is if you win. If you have the free time then it's good to go after it but know things like this are often times not worth the stress and frustration that it can cause.

I thought about your input and I would have to agree. It just sucks from a moral standpoint. Seeing as I don't have a GPU if it send it back to him and have to find another one isn't worth my time. Thank you.
    dvduong92
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/24 16:20:10 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    dvduong92
    Hoggle

IOW, you're running stable with stock FTW clocks but you can't get more than a couple of bins higher on core clocks? Quite a few folks have trouble just getting a stable FTW. So...I don't know what to advise here. Just as an aside, you don't adjust the core clock in 1mhz steps it actually goes in ~12.5mhz steps. So your first OC setting would be +13, then +25 then +37 and etc etc...

Yes, it is running stable stock FTW clocks. Thank you I didn't know that, I just tried +37 mhz and it is stable but if I bump it up another 12.5 it'll crash. I guess since its actually running a stable FTW3 clocks I should be somewhat happy. It's just ethical reasons why I felt somewhat ripped off. What are usual FTW3 OC's?
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Might've gotten semi scammed? 2019/07/24 16:28:55 (permalink)
    dvduong92
    HeavyHemi
    dvduong92
    Hoggle

Yes, it is running stable stock FTW clocks. Thank you I didn't know that, I just tried +37 mhz and it is stable but if I bump it up another 12.5 it'll crash. I guess since its actually running a stable FTW3 clocks I should be somewhat happy. It's just ethical reasons why I felt somewhat ripped off. What are usual FTW3 OC's?

FTW's generally don't overclock any better than the vanilla models. They are just pretested to run at the higher FTW clocks and are warrantied to be stable at those clocks. (The ones that fail are the DT cards) They are exactly the same GPU die, exactly. My 1080 Ti FE which I put a Hybrid cooler on, runs all day at 2050mhz, undervolted @ 1.012v.  It surely would have had no issues being used in a FTW card. I'd imaging they would be happy. I've run benches over 2100mhz just using software.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile