Microsoft to Reportedly Use AMD Silicon on Its Next Gen Surface Devices

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102278
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/09/16 22:43:58 (permalink)
https://www.techspot.com/news/81904-microsoft-surface-laptop-3-reportedly-coming-amd-processors.html

Microsoft has been using Intel hardware exclusively on its Surface lineup ever since it came out with the first Surface device. The choice was clear - Intel offered much better energy efficiency than anything AMD could offer at the time, besides the strong bond between the two companies. However, it seems that AMD might have done enough with its Ryzen 3000 series to sway big Microsoft into using some of its hardware (Ryzen 3000H or U) on upcoming Surface devices, if reports are to be believed.

Microsoft should be refreshing its Surface Laptop 2 with a 15-inch variant packing AMD hardware. It's uncertain if this will happen, and much less likely to happen for the entirety of Microsoft's Surface product stack (which includes potential refreshes for Surface Pro 6, Surface Book 2, Surface Go or Surface Studio 2). However, that AMD is now being considered alongside Intel in what can be said to be the ultimate Windows experience in Microsoft's usually excellently-designed products is a prestige in and of itself, and means an empowered brand standing for the red camp. Oh and Microsoft might finally be introducing that dual-screen device we've been hearing rumblings about for a while. Project "Centaurus" has already been seeded among Intel insiders, it seems, so it might see the light of day in the upcoming Microsoft Surface event taking place in New York on October 2nd.

I'm glad to see Microsoft being flexible enough to include AMD in a surface laptop. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

3 Replies Related Threads

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Microsoft to Reportedly Use AMD Silicon on Its Next Gen Surface Devices 2019/09/16 22:54:37 (permalink)
    Considering how much they use AMD silicon in xbox, not that surprising.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft to Reportedly Use AMD Silicon on Its Next Gen Surface Devices 2019/09/17 03:44:17 (permalink)
    I think it's a mistake since the advertising for the Surface has put it out as better then Apple. It's supposed to be a premium item and the people who buy it have been told for decades about how AMD is the budget brand and how they want Intel. I don't want to sound like I am bashing AMD at all since I am not just that the people buying a Surface are probably not people who are really fallowing the latest news about AMD and would know the Intel name.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Microsoft to Reportedly Use AMD Silicon on Its Next Gen Surface Devices 2019/09/17 05:40:17 (permalink)
    That is quite a feather in the cap for AMD again..... record sales, contracts for both upcoming consoles , server hardware and now holding hands on MS laptops.... 

Good for them , good for consumers  &  good for competition finally.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile