EVGA

Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvements

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102215
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/07/27 10:25:37 (permalink)
Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvements | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

Microsoft Flight Simulator releases today on Xbox Series X/S, and alongside the game's new console version comes massive changes to the game's existing PC version. 

Microsoft Flight Simulator's July 27th PC update brings new features like Discovery Flights, New Training Flights and extensive performance optimisations. Flight Simulator has more content, more training options for beginners, and improved performance on PC, making Flight Simulator smoother and more accessible than ever. 

On PC, one of the highlight upgrades to Microsoft Flight Simulator is the game's improved multi-core support, which should prevent the game from becoming as CPU-limited in demanding areas. Beyond that, Microsoft Flight Simulator now boasts faster loading times, allowing gamers to get into their cockpits faster than before. 

Thanks to Microsoft Flight Simulator's engine optimisations, PC gamers should experience fewer framerate stutters than before, allowing the game to feel smoother on all systems. Beyond that, these changes to Fight Simulator should allow PC gamers to achieve better memory and GPU utilisation than before. All-in-all, Flight Simulator should not run much better than it did before, which is great news for everyone. 

PC gamers on Steam and the Windows Store should soon be able to download the July 7th Patch for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Patch Notes

PERFORMANCE

This update includes significant performance improvements to make the experience more seamless.
- Improved multi core support for CPU
- Better memory and GPU usage
- Faster loading times
- Stutters have been significantly reduced

DISCOVERY FLIGHTS

Discovery Flights were originally inspired by those who wanted to fly in one of our trailers! Discovery Flights place you in the most scenic locations on the planet, including awesome locations like the Great Pyramids or Mount Everest, or vibrant cities like Naples or Rio de Janeiro, in optimal weather conditions for you to fly and sightsee at your leisure. You can quickly switch between locations using the Activity tab available from the pause menu. Two additional Discovery Flights are featured with all World Updates available for free within the in-game Marketplace.
WORLD EXPLORATION IMPROVEMENTS

The world map now also features satellite imagery, map labels, and main Point of Interest names to make exploring the world (and even finding your house) as easy as possible. We extended this capability into the flight experience itself and you can now activate the POI labels during a flight, meaning you can suddenly understand the spatial relationships between cities, mountains, and other landmarks. A new section is available in the Assistances menu, to display labels on all on-screen POIs or only the one you are pointing toward with the camera.
ACTIVITIES UPDATES

Landing Challenges are now graded. Remember to download World Updates in the marketplace, which contain additional landing challenges and bush trips.
TRAINING FLIGHTS

We overhauled our training flights to make them more digestible. Each of the 22 flights focuses on a specific notion, starting with basic handling, to landing & take off, VFR navigation, all the way to learning how to fly an airliner like the Airbus 320neo. Training flights feature contextual voiceovers, a score, and a grade to provide feedback and advice to progress through your learning journey.
FLIGHT ASSISTANT / NEW ASSISTANCES

The Flight Assistant is a new UI panel available via the toolbar in Free Flight and Discovery Flights. It allows you to quickly get AI help during flight:
- You can select nearby POIs or airports and set them as your destination to get direction
- You can also give control to the AI to fly you to your chosen destination.
- If using an Xbox controller, you can choose to temporarily enable AI flight control whenever you toggle the on-screen “cursor mode” (see below) to interact with menus or cockpit instruments
- You can delegate radio communications to the AI to let them interact with Air Traffic Control
- You can quickly activate auto-trimming and anti-stall assists
GAMEPAD NAVIGATION / CURSOR

If using an Xbox controller, you can use the left stick to control an on-screen cursor to navigate menus, world map and cockpits. To access the cursor controls during flight, click the left stick button on the controller to switch from flight controls to “Cursor Mode”. An extended zone around the cursor is used to select interactive element closest to the cursor center dot, making it more permissive and easier to use. Right stick is used to scroll pages and quickly change options. Cursor parameters are available in the Options / General Options / Accessibility menu.
COCKPIT INTERACTIONS

Added the new “Lock” interaction system:
- Set active by default but can be reverted to “Legacy” in Options / General Options / Accessibility.
- Tooltips are now displaying the instrument name, instrument values, and controls (dynamic depending of the device in use)
- Using the cursor or the camera center pointer, you can highlight any interactive cockpit instrument.
- Once highlighted, you can interact with the instrument:
- If the instrument is simple (buttons, 2 positions switches), tapping Xbox Controller A or Mouse left button will interact with it. If the instrument is complex (knobs, levers…), tapping Xbox Controller A or holding Mouse left button will lock on it.
- Once locked on an instrument, you can:
- Use primary (Xbox Controller A/ Mouse left button), secondary (Xbox Controller X/ Mouse right button) or tertiary (Xbox Controller Y/ Mouse middle button) interactions.
- Increase/ decrease the instrument (Xbox Controller LT/ RT or Mouse wheel)
- Use gestures (Xbox Controller left stick or Mouse movements)
- Unlock the instrument (Xbox Controller B or release Mouse left button)
LAND ANYWHERE / VFX

The following planes are now provided with skis and floats variants:
- Cessna C172 classic
- Cessna C172 G1000
- CubCrafters XCub
- Zlin Aviation Shock Ultra
These aircraft’s checklists have been adapted accordingly. Appropriated VFX are displayed depending on the surface type you are landing on.
ACCESSIBILITY / SCREEN READER

We have added a text-to-speech narration feature to the Flight Simulator menus (English language only at first). This can be accessed during Onboarding for new users or enabled via Options / General Options / Accessibility for existing users. This feature is work-in-progress and does not yet cover every screen or option but should allow users to navigate to the most vital menu screens needed to begin a flight. We are actively working on making the narrator more comprehensive and aim to add more functionality in future updates. Learn more about our Accessibility efforts here.
LIVERIES

Two new livery sets are available Aviator club Xbox and Livery 01.

Let's hope the patch continues to improve performance

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

7 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_GabrielT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/27 10:52:20 (permalink)
    Good news and great to see.
    dc8flyer
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 558
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/27 17:04:35 (permalink)
    So far the 7/27 update reminds me of FS2020 initial launch. Difficult to get onto the servers, servers drop your connection, etc.

I manage to get on a few times to start the downloads after the initial mandatory download only to have FS2020 disconnect and fail all downloads.

They have a new installation manager that either endlessly "checking for updates" or tells you you have to stop and sign back in, or just crashes the program.

If you dont have to update for a few days I would suggest waiting a few days and see if anyone at MS can figure what they did wrong this time, again.

2009 Alienware Aurora x58
    i7 990x oc to 4.14
    Three ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 - 144 Hz 1ms (GTG) NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitors
    RTX 2080ti EVGA Black XC oc 1250/160 with 456.55
    CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory
    2TB 860evo SSD
    Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 Water/Liquid CPU Cooler
    Two 120mm push/pull NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM Fan with Focused Flow
    Windows 10 - always the latest
    sorbert
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/28 05:24:56 (permalink)
    I got on yesterday did real world traffic from katl.  before patch at max settings on runway would be 25-35  yesterday was 45-50 with system below and the ram usage is way down so i see a pretty good increase on my end.  Now to see what dx12 when ever that gets added will do.  but orignal was 2560x1440 just upgraded to 3440x1440
    post edited by sorbert - 2021/07/28 05:28:19

Ryzen 5800x3d, 32gb 3200 ddr4, kraken x62, gigabyte x370 k7, aorus master 3080, Evga 850 p2, Samsung 970 evo plus 2tb, Crucial MX300 1 TB, 4x wd blue m2 ssd on a converter m2 to sata
    Oldie But Good: Cooler Master 942 HAF X, Xeon X5690, Swiftech H220X, EVGA x58 FTW3 ,24gb samsung ecc 1333 , EVGA GTX 780 ftw acx, Corsair ax850, Samsung 840 pro 256, 120gb Corsair Force, 1tb wd Black 64mb, Win 10 

dc8flyer
    SSC Member
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/28 10:44:35 (permalink)
    Into day two and still trying to downloading this update.

I am making progress though. Since just updating only resulted in crashes and spinning wheels and no progress, I had to uninstall everything FS2020 and reinstall the entire game. About 60G's to go and at a snails pace but progress.

If you go the route of reinstalling, go to MS store, locate your purchased level of the game and install from the store. That's the only thing that has worked so far.

i7 990x oc to 4.14
    Three ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 - 144 Hz 1ms (GTG) NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitors
    2TB 860evo SSD
    HurricaneJB
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/28 12:44:01 (permalink)
    Flight Sim is something I have always wanted to try. Is it difficult to jump into?
    dc8flyer
    SSC Member
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/28 23:40:45 (permalink)
    sorbert
    I got on yesterday did real world traffic from katl.  before patch at max settings on runway would be 25-35  yesterday was 45-50 with system below and the ram usage is way down so i see a pretty good increase on my end.  Now to see what dx12 when ever that gets added will do.  but orignal was 2560x1440 just upgraded to 3440x1440

If you have Vsync on in game, turn it off. You might get another 5-10fps with Vsync off.

i7 990x oc to 4.14
    2TB 860evo SSD
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's latest PC patch promises significant performance improvem 2021/07/31 01:21:38 (permalink)
    HurricaneJB
    Flight Sim is something I have always wanted to try. Is it difficult to jump into?

Sorta depends. There aren't really any goals in Flight Simulator. A lot of people have trouble making up their own reasoning to fly. Mostly the challenge is to learn the individual instruments in aircraft and go out and explore. that sort of thing isn't for a lot of people because there is no structure to the experience.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile