Man, Leaking rads are a real drip!

Author
drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2715
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 18
2020/01/02 13:53:28 (permalink)
First off, Happy New Year, everyone!  I hope your 2020 is downright PIMP!

Mine started off . . . Not so pimp.

Yeah, I know it's dusty . . . But you see that bright spot? That's water.

That sucker there? Apparently one of it's relatives fell directly onto the back of one of my 1070s and caused the pc to reboot, and the card didn't wake up with it.

I found a discolored spot on the back of the card, which, after powering off the system, I cleaned with alcohol and q-tip, gently.  My hope was that there was a bridge that the cleaning would move out, and that there wasn't physical damage . . . So far, my luck isn't that good.

Later on this afternoon, I'm taking the system apart, completely cleaning it out and removing all the water cooling equipment to replace the air units on the cards and CPU until I can get a replacement rad.  Unfortunately, the card that appears dead has been out of warranty since July 7th of last year, so between that and the fact that it is water caused, no RMA anything for homey.  But, it was one card instead of an entire PC.

So, my lesson learned, I will be MUCH more diligent about checking EVERY component for leaks routinely! Let this be a lesson for us all! Also, I might use this to suggest a new method that's come to popularity - EKWB has an air pressure testing device that would have exposed this issue for me if I'd had it on hand. I think there is a weak fin in that location that just finally gave out under pressure and water erosion.  Yes, that IS a thing in closed systems like this, unless, by some miracle, you've discovered how to remove EVERY last bit of turbulence from the internal water flow.

I'm just lucky and VERY happy that it was a single drip every 2 minutes (By the time I saw it and shut things down again) vs a steady stream.

So, that's how my year started, but I have my second box folding right away to keep my numbers moving forward until the remaining 2 cards come back online.

d

22 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 13:59:15 (permalink)
    Bummer, do you have any spares?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 14:06:26 (permalink)
    No spares, but I still have all the air coolers, so my HOPE is that the 'dead' card is just cranky because of crud buildup where the water evaporated.  Just swapping back to air until I can save up to replace the rad. Then I save up for a replacement GPU and water cooler.

d

ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 15:54:20 (permalink)
    Man, that sucks. But the air testing isn't much better than just running a pump/rad loop for a bit to check for leaks. Either way it's impossible to tell when a part will leak in the future.
    That's one reason to have rads as intake on front instead of on top.
    Not that I'm following that advice. If mine leak it's almost all over the motherboard. Mine is on qdc at the rads and block ends. I run just pump and rads, then pump and block separately to check for issues.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 16:56:40 (permalink)
    Dang, erosion or corrosion in the tubes is never good

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 19:01:31 (permalink)
    My only issue with using it as a front intake is my storage drives are in the way in this case - I really want the new Phanteks Enthoo 719 as that is a case that FINALLY has the space I want . . . But I've always been a bit of a size pimp . . . *laughs*  Saving for that, as well, but now derailed just a little.

d

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 20:06:51 (permalink)
    What size rad is that 240/360? In what case? I'm guessing your mods rig profile is a "little" out of date.  My only spare rad is an older Thermochill 120.3 [360] with the odd fan spacing. Good thing you caught it early.

Similar to this, but they made the early ones with odd fan spacing, later versions went to the standard fan spacing. It maybe too thick as well. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thpa3xra.html

Oh yeah, Happyeee New year D. 

post edited by notfordman - 2020/01/02 20:17:05
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/02 20:32:34 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, thanks to the fan shroud I was using to hold the old rad up from the case a bit for better air flow, I would need something with standard fan spacing . . . But I do appreciate you stepping up like that! That's the awesome spirit of this Folding Family that I love!

Wow, ModRigs . . . I'd forgotten I had filled those in for my old builds . . . yeah, they are VERY much out of date. I need to update them to the current systems, for sure!

d

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/10 02:46:19 (permalink)
    Just wanted to update everyone - As I pointed out over in the Thank You thread, the_Scarlett_one reached out to me to provide me with not just one, but TWO replacement radiators and is lending me a 1080 GTX ti card for a few months so I can keep my performance numbers up while waiting to be able to replace my own card.

If anyone would like to donate to assist in that replacement, please contact me so I can provide my paypal information, as I am trying to raise the funds for a new card and matching waterblock.

I have the new to me Radiator cleaned out, the waterblock and radiator inserted into an initial prep-cleaning flush run and once EK gets me some replacement TIM pads I'd ordered, I'll be rebuilding the loop in my case and kicking things up to see how the new Rad handles my high ass temp production!

d

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/11 16:43:37 (permalink)
    That's absolutely awesome stuff! Thank you Scarlett, pretty darn nice of you. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/11 17:02:33 (permalink)
    notfordman
    That's absolutely awesome stuff! Thank you Scarlett, pretty darn nice of you. 

Great

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 07:14:19 (permalink)
    Now that I've gotten the water loop rigged up and running for a few days, and have been folding full power for more than a couple of hours at a time, holy CRAP what a difference!

First off, the big radiator and I got some new fans based on what the old skool mod gawd himself, Bill Owen (www.mnpctech.com) had to say mean that the heat just doesn't build up in the loop like it used to.  At full folding power, and this is with a base 2070, a 1070 FTW and the loaned 1080ti, the hottest temp reading inside the loop is one of the GPUs reporting 54c on the die.  The CPU die is reporting JUST shy of 43c.  If I want to put up with a little more noise, the fans will pull enough air through to reduce the temp by a good 4 degrees. At some point, I need to get a waterproof temp probe and put that in the reservoir to get a direct read of the water temp.

PPD wise, with the borrowed card, I'm now getting between 3.3 million and 4.1 million PPD on the single box (Varies on WU types, of course) and when I added my secondary box with 2 1070s, my avg kicked up to between 5 million and 5.5 million PPD, again, depending on the WU.  So, those numbers make me a VERY happy camper.

This means that I'm now well into the 'finding and stashing money away towards a replacement video card and associated accessories' as well as aiming at a new case to house all of this in.  If you'd like to toss a few bucks into the pot, please let me know and I'll provide you my paypal information!

Also, another update for me is I FINALLY got a bite on the employment front! Did initial interview on Thursday, got fast tracked to a 2nd interview that was thought to be today, but the manager in question didn't have time, so I'm waiting to hear back on the date/time. The ease that of the first interview combined with the fact that I had previously interviewed with the same manager in Oct of 2018 put us both at ease, and I have a GREAT feeling moving forward!

On that note, it's time to make sure the kids aren't going to damage each other on their day off from school.

d

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 11:40:19 (permalink)
    Great news

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 12:20:56 (permalink)
    Hope you get the job. Soooo, what kind of magic fans did you get? 
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 13:30:38 (permalink)
    These are the magic fans - https://www.newegg.com/p/2BJ-0034-00001

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 17:21:34 (permalink)
    drougnor
    These are the magic fans - https://www.newegg.com/p/2BJ-0034-00001

Quite nice ones, they seem to last pretty well. 
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 17:27:37 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Quite nice ones, they seem to last pretty well. 

They are dead quiet at low RPM and MOVE the air at those speeds better than most fans at higher/noisier RPMs.  And when you don't mind the noise? It RIPS the air straight through the radiator!
    d

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 19:14:41 (permalink)
    I myself used these for many years: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG2PGY6

Not sure how the two stack up, but from converting CFM to M3/H they both seem to push about the same amount of air.
    I would guess the limiting factor is the current provided to the fan.
    But if you want higher cooling, you can always double them (fans both on the top, as the bottom of the radiator, one pushing the air into the radiator, the other ones sucking air out of the radiator).

Then set the beta flag, so your GPUs will work a little harder (run hotter), and get more points 

Also note that regular tap water, and distilled water is corrosive.
    It's best to equip your radiator with a specialized coolant liquid.
    post edited by ProDigit - 2020/01/20 19:17:28
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/20 19:52:06 (permalink)
    Running an additive in my distilled - I discovered a few patches of nickel had worn through on my previous setup where I'd followed recommendations to run distilled with a kill coil in it. Bad move there. So, running now with the additive on this time, and if that doesn't work out like it is supposed to, I'll be grabbing something like the Mayhems X1 mix. 

d

ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/21 17:45:37 (permalink)
    Tap water may be corrosive but Distilled water is the base of those coolants to begin with. You can't stop corrosion, it's just that liquid flow that eventually wears through the metal.

I use these awesome noctua industrial fans. 2000rpm max full pwm. I thought about the 300tpm variant but decided 2k was enough. Fully waterproof and sealed. Can't hear them much either at lower rpms.

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/21 18:22:57 (permalink)
    ipkha
    Tap water may be corrosive but Distilled water is the base of those coolants to begin with. You can't stop corrosion, it's just that liquid flow that eventually wears through the metal.

I use these awesome noctua industrial fans. 2000rpm max full pwm. I thought about the 300tpm variant but decided 2k was enough. Fully waterproof and sealed. Can't hear them much either at lower rpms.

Yes, but the additives you put in distilled water, have 'neutralizers' in them returning the Ph closer to zero.
    The same is true for car radiators.
    Pour pure distilled water in them, and not only the radiator will corrode, but the pumps will fail prematurely as well.
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/25 08:15:29 (permalink)
    To clarify a point, the additives should be aiming to bring it back to a 7 ph, which is a true neutral, but also adding enough free floating material to act as a buffer so the purified water itself isn't trying to steal ions from the metals in the loop.

But that's just a nitpick over terms, really.

On the other hand, I am happy to report that I have now in my possession a new RTX 2080 XC Ultra that I'm just working to cross the threshold to purchase a waterblock for! Freaking excited to be able to pull the trigger on that, then get it installed into the current loop!

Can't wait to see what that does for my numbers, esp paired with the borrowed 1080 TI from the_scarlet_one. I'm occasionally pushing JUST up to the 6 million ppd point every now and then over the last day depending on the exact combination of WUs I'm working on.

d

troy8d
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2815
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Man, Leaking rads are a real drip! 2020/01/25 09:05:50 (permalink)
    Sounds like you've got some pretty serious hardware there D!

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile