EVGA

M.2 upgrade woes.

Author
SunlessNight
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/20 18:35:14 (permalink)
So I got a NVME m.2 recently thinking I was about to have a grand gaming with insane read/wrt speeds, I was apparently wrong.

Unfortunatley now I fear I may have inadvertantly bricked my motherboard or some other pice of critical hardware. This is because my pc is now BSOD about 40 seconds after windows login or anytime I try to; load into safe mode, system restore, system reset, or install windows via a usd drive.

Let me walk you guys through the process I-ve already went through and maybe someone can help me.

After getting my new drive I started by disconecting power, installing the drive, conecting power, and booting into bios and updating to the latest bios vers. I then enabled my m.2 slot and started windows. However, the drive was not recognized in windows. After trying multiple troubleshooting sugestions on these forums I found some where ppls drives would be detected by instaling windows directly on them. When I loaded up the install media I saw that the drive was indeed detected. However, while windows was installing (during the drive formatting process) i got my first BSOD ( stop code system service thread exception). After this when I turned on the pc again I just went into windows normally and saw that the nvme was now recognized by the pc. Then I got another bsod. And another every 40 or so seconds after signing in since.

I have tried every windows repair/restore utility I can without signing in and they all blue screen. I have also tried all of these with non critical hardware removed (my usb expansion card, the new nvme drive, and gpu).

At this point I am at a complete loss what I can do to fix my bsod issue and anyhelp is appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard; evga z170 ftw
GPU; gtx 1080
Ram; 16gb 2133mhz
Storage; 256gb sata ssd (os drive), 2tb hdd, 1tb HP ex920 (new nvme drive)

2 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: M.2 upgrade woes. 2019/05/21 02:35:38 (permalink)
    OK leave your NVME M.2 in your motherboard. Disconnect cables from the SATA SSD, HDD and any other hard drives/SSDs/ optical drives (if any). Now attempt to load windows again. If this works reconnect the drives when power is off. Then see if all is well. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

SunlessNight
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: M.2 upgrade woes. 2019/05/21 13:04:31 (permalink)
    No good, with only the m.2 drive attached windows still crashes during the install.

I'm thinking ill try buying a usb hard drive and see if windows will install. My thinking is if it does there m8ght be a problem with the sata controller.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile