Love these power supplies

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
phantomshroom
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/05 18:10:23 (permalink)
JSohn
LMAO. So much misinformation here. 1600w PSU is not at all more efficient than 850 watt unit unless it's a higher rated unit. In fact it's worse at lower loads since it will sit below 20% load when people are not pushing their rigs like gaming. I expect even those EVGA 650w G2 that I bought years ago to last at least 10 years. My old Corsair (Seasonic OEM) lasted that long, and could still be running. Your an engineer? I find that hard to believe. Engineers usually sit quietly working on stuff. They deal in facts. Marketing, on the other hand, they love to upsell, and make bold claims without any proof.  They deal in hyperbole, and stay firmly in that gray area.

Never said I was an engineer but if you read any of my other posts you would have known that I have been a licensed electrician since 73 & running my computer business for 45+ years with 7500+ clients in North America & their affiliates in UK, EU. I relied on professional engineers to guide us over the last 50 years & they cannot be disputed since they have never failed us. They informed us decades ago that any PSU that is near maxed out is NOT as efficient as a larger wattage PSU. That is 100% electrical FACT & unless you are an engineer or a licensed electrician you have no clue as to what you are moaning about!
FighterGamer67
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 170
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/05 19:03:53 (permalink)
unless a computer is utilizing most of the 1600w, then it's a waste of money.  Why get something with that much watts when a system calls for half of that or less? makes no sense.  my 650w P2 is just fine for what I have for right now.  If I'm not mistaken, 3070/3070ti may use more wattage than a 1070. 
JSohn
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/05 19:33:15 (permalink)
phantomshroom
JSohn
LMAO. So much misinformation here. 1600w PSU is not at all more efficient than 850 watt unit unless it's a higher rated unit. In fact it's worse at lower loads since it will sit below 20% load when people are not pushing their rigs like gaming. I expect even those EVGA 650w G2 that I bought years ago to last at least 10 years. My old Corsair (Seasonic OEM) lasted that long, and could still be running. Your an engineer? I find that hard to believe. Engineers usually sit quietly working on stuff. They deal in facts. Marketing, on the other hand, they love to upsell, and make bold claims without any proof.  They deal in hyperbole, and stay firmly in that gray area.

Never said I was an engineer but if you read any of my other posts you would have known that I have been a licensed electrician since 73 & running my computer business for 45+ years with 7500+ clients in North America & their affiliates in UK, EU. I relied on professional engineers to guide us over the last 50 years & they cannot be disputed since they have never failed us. They informed us decades ago that any PSU that is near maxed out is NOT as efficient as a larger wattage PSU. That is 100% electrical FACT & unless you are an engineer or a licensed electrician you have no clue as to what you are moaning about!

Fascinating. With all your "credentials", I would expect more than you recommending that folks buy 1600watt psu cuz it will be useful later.  I'm not an engineer either, but I did work with, and had some at my company. Never heard one push the narrative you are in any area. This buy excessive amounts of anything for regular consumers narrative that you are running. This isn't NASA. Were not on the Moon, and don't need to over build, and/or account for every possible situation when we know exactly what most people are doing with their pc's.  I'm assuming you're still stuck on 50% loads are the sweet spot when that was debunked about 10 years ago. All decent PSU's are efficient from 20%-80% loads. Titaniums are 100% efficient below 20% loads, and 80%+ all the way up to their rated power limit at their rated operating temperature. Limits should not ever be issue if you give yourself 100 watts headroom. 

I'm simply correcting you so that less knowledgeable builders dont go out and pay 4 x's+ what they need to for a PSU to play fortnite. Trust me on this, those 650w units I bought are plenty for 99% of gamers, and will serve them well. There are only a few cards that need 750w+ PSU's, and it's very minute number of people who actually have them. Most gaming pc's pull under 300 watts. Check steam to get an idea of gaming hardware, then look for power consumption on 3rd part sites to confirm this. Either way, $200+ saved is literally a better GPU, and/or CPU, which will also serve them better than 1600w PSU for rigs that pull 300w from wall while gaming.
FighterGamer67
Superclocked Member
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/05 20:30:42 (permalink)
JSohn
phantomshroom
JSohn

Fascinating. With all your "credentials", I would expect more than you recommending that folks buy 1600watt psu cuz it will be useful later.  I'm not an engineer either, but I did work with, and had some at my company. Never heard one push the narrative you are in any area. This buy excessive amounts of anything for regular consumers narrative that you are running. This isn't NASA. Were not on the Moon, and don't need to over build, and/or account for every possible situation when we know exactly what most people are doing with their pc's.  I'm assuming you're still stuck on 50% loads are the sweet spot when that was debunked about 10 years ago. All decent PSU's are efficient from 20%-80% loads. Titaniums are 100% efficient below 20% loads, and 80%+ all the way up to their rated power limit at their rated operating temperature. Limits should not ever be issue if you give yourself 100 watts headroom. 

I'm simply correcting you so that less knowledgeable builders dont go out and pay 4 x's+ what they need to for a PSU to play fortnite. Trust me on this, those 650w units I bought are plenty for 99% of gamers, and will serve them well. There are only a few cards that need 750w+ PSU's, and it's very minute number of people who actually have them. Most gaming pc's pull under 300 watts. Check steam to get an idea of gaming hardware, then look for power consumption on 3rd part sites to confirm this. Either way, $200+ saved is literally a better GPU, and/or CPU, which will also serve them better than 1600w PSU for rigs that pull 300w from wall while gaming.

That's like buying a threadripper to play Minecraft.  Threadrippers (just like 1600w) have their purposes, but not to play low usage games like Minecraft or Fortnite.  Even my brother who does heavy video editing uses only about 100w over what's needed.   But then my other brother bought a psu that's 300-400 w over what he needed.  So each to their own I guess.  When you have kids and a ton of bills, that extra $200 is a lot.
kroix007
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/05 21:37:01 (permalink)
Agreed, great quality, far surpasses other brands.
phantomshroom
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/06 11:55:37 (permalink)
Many members are misinterpreting my notes.

I am NOT saying that everyone needs to buy a large wattage PSU such as a 1600 W PSU. I am referring to those that are running close to 70% - 80% of their existing PSU loads before they OC. Then once they OC their ram/CPU/GPU, they can get close to 90% or higher based on their scenario. Continual daily/regular loads like this causes major damage to PSUs over time & shortens their life.
Someone that only checks their email, social media, online banking, online purchases, etc. occasionally does not need a massive PSU. Those that are serious gamers, heavy video producers/editors, CAD/CAM, etc. are the ones that need to future proof their systems. Chances are that they will most likely upgrade their systems regularly over the years & to save upgrading the heart of their system (PSU) all the time at extra cost, it is far more economical to buy the larger PSU up front to save costs down the road.

Decades ago when 550 W PSUs were top of the line & overkill for most systems due to GPUs as we call them today did not exist, only PCI & AGP video cards existed & did not draw large TDP. Most systems back then were running 300/350 W PSUs & more than adequate. As time & technology advanced, many had to upgrade their systems to 720/750 W PSUs.

During those years & later on many of my clients learnt the hard way that cheapening out on PSUs was a costly affair. Remember, back then most PSUs only had 1/3/5 year warranties & it wasn't til 2000 + that 7/10 year warranties became the norm.

I totally understand most members only need the 850 W // 1000 W PSUs due to their current system specs & load. I get that & wholeheartedly support them. What I don't get is serious heavy OC'ing gamers spending 2 - 4 thousand $$ on their RAM/CPU/GPU/water cooling system/NVMe/etc. but then cheap out on the minimal wattage PSU.

Computer CPUs/GPUs have a TDP (Thermal Design Power) rating in watts of how much heat they will dissipate under normal conditions. Earlier CPUs/GPUs one could find pin-outs & exact voltage specs of the CPU/GPU but nowadays...good luck obtaining them. The TDP is a good guideline as to what power the CPU/GPU will actually draw under normal conditions but once you start heavily tasking & OC the CPU/GPU I have always seen 20-40% higher wattage used by the CPU/GPU in real time power meter readings. Prime example was my AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE black edition with TDP of 140W but I was reading ~212-220 W under extreme load conditions so keep that in mind about ANY TDP rating. Don't forget that if you OC your ram too, it also places extra load on your PSU on top of the OC CPU/GPU.

Over the decades I have repaired many clients computers due to their vicious OC'ing that blew their CPU & others blowing their GPU & some that blew their ram as well. Even though modern 2021 technology is built into most components to prevent damage, one can still blow their systems with aggressive OC'ing.
post edited by phantomshroom - 2021/06/06 11:59:16
FighterGamer67
Superclocked Member
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/06 18:46:59 (permalink)
phantomshroom
Many members are misinterpreting my notes.

I am NOT saying that everyone needs to buy a large wattage PSU such as a 1600 W PSU. I am referring to those that are running close to 70% - 80% of their existing PSU loads before they OC. Then once they OC their ram/CPU/GPU, they can get close to 90% or higher based on their scenario. Continual daily/regular loads like this causes major damage to PSUs over time & shortens their life.
Someone that only checks their email, social media, online banking, online purchases, etc. occasionally does not need a massive PSU. Those that are serious gamers, heavy video producers/editors, CAD/CAM, etc. are the ones that need to future proof their systems. Chances are that they will most likely upgrade their systems regularly over the years & to save upgrading the heart of their system (PSU) all the time at extra cost, it is far more economical to buy the larger PSU up front to save costs down the road.

Decades ago when 550 W PSUs were top of the line & overkill for most systems due to GPUs as we call them today did not exist, only PCI & AGP video cards existed & did not draw large TDP. Most systems back then were running 300/350 W PSUs & more than adequate. As time & technology advanced, many had to upgrade their systems to 720/750 W PSUs.

During those years & later on many of my clients learnt the hard way that cheapening out on PSUs was a costly affair. Remember, back then most PSUs only had 1/3/5 year warranties & it wasn't til 2000 + that 7/10 year warranties became the norm.

I totally understand most members only need the 850 W // 1000 W PSUs due to their current system specs & load. I get that & wholeheartedly support them. What I don't get is serious heavy OC'ing gamers spending 2 - 4 thousand $$ on their RAM/CPU/GPU/water cooling system/NVMe/etc. but then cheap out on the minimal wattage PSU.

Computer CPUs/GPUs have a TDP (Thermal Design Power) rating in watts of how much heat they will dissipate under normal conditions. Earlier CPUs/GPUs one could find pin-outs & exact voltage specs of the CPU/GPU but nowadays...good luck obtaining them. The TDP is a good guideline as to what power the CPU/GPU will actually draw under normal conditions but once you start heavily tasking & OC the CPU/GPU I have always seen 20-40% higher wattage used by the CPU/GPU in real time power meter readings. Prime example was my AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE black edition with TDP of 140W but I was reading ~212-220 W under extreme load conditions so keep that in mind about ANY TDP rating. Don't forget that if you OC your ram too, it also places extra load on your PSU on top of the OC CPU/GPU.

Over the decades I have repaired many clients computers due to their vicious OC'ing that blew their CPU & others blowing their GPU & some that blew their ram as well. Even though modern 2021 technology is built into most components to prevent damage, one can still blow their systems with aggressive OC'ing.

sorry if any confusion.  you're right if the load is running near 100%, then a larger wattage is needed.  I guess my experience is more into smaller systems where larger power supplies is not needed.  But, yea, if a system needs a larger wattage, then 1600w would be idea, even if it calls for 1100w I would go for something larger just to be safe.
th3cl3ric
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/06 21:20:52 (permalink)
I hope EVGA make a SFX Platinum certification of 850W, mini-itx PCs also needs power juice.
Beanard
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/07 00:17:11 (permalink)
I am gifting a starter build with components that can all be upgraded as needed. The person using it has no interest in overclocking any components, so I'm wondering if there is an EVGA 500W-600W power supply that has premium wattage efficiency(leaning towards 80+ Platinum)? It would be even better if there is an SFX power supply with those specifications.
th3cl3ric
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/07 20:44:27 (permalink)
EVGA has great and quality products, thats why I trust them and got many devices from them especially graphic cards.
metamana
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/17 02:28:24 (permalink)
me too
droomagon
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Love these power supplies 2021/06/18 01:20:34 (permalink)
some of the EVGA units are produced by Seasonic, so essentially, you are buying Seasonic units lol

quality units with 10yrs of warranty is no joke, im glad EVGA chose the correct supplier/manufacturer
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile