Lost power from "perf" port on 850 p2

Author
ifly2high
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/04/10 04:27:57 (permalink)
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+

Has anyone seen these power supply go rouge and stop applying power out to the "perf" cables?

I have a Hydro X water pump plugged into the "perf" cable connected to my power supply. Systems been running for many many months, and today I get a warning that my CPU is 85 degrees. I check my GPU temp and it's scorching hot! I shut the system down and opened the case and sure enough, everything is hot. At first I thought my water pump quit working, so I used my spare 650 watt power supply and hooked up just the pump to it to verify and low and behold my pump fires right up. I let the system cool down and then reassembled it with the pump plugged back into the power supply cable and fired it back up. All is working well, what the heck?! This occurrence has me perplexed and worried as I don't want to see my system burn up. I've got Hardware Info set to alert me with a pump failure warning now since my pump rpm settings are sent from the motherboard. Next time it happens I want to see if a simple reboot fixes the problem, but this is a problem I don't want to worry about. The pump is plugged into the motherboard and is run at a constant 30% speed, if the pump does not receive a pwm signal it runs full speed, so I feel like this is a power supply issue. Eco mode is turned off and the power supply is clean, no hinderance for it to get cool air either, it gets around 26 degrees celsius air as I have a temperature probe in that area.

Any thoughts?
post edited by ifly2high - 2021/04/10 04:36:19

2 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_WaiM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: Lost power from "perf" port on 850 p2 2021/04/10 15:15:22 (permalink)
    For testing purposes, please try a different molex connector. You could also plug it into one of the SATA ports see if it is an issue with the port. The ports are compatible and interchangeable with each other, so no need for concern. 

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    ifly2high
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Lost power from "perf" port on 850 p2 2021/04/20 13:21:34 (permalink)
    I'm running into the same problem still, as of late more often. Now that I have alerts and sounds on to check and make sure there is more then 1 rpm on the pump, it seems that upon system wake up is when the power is not getting applied. I have HWInfo set that after 20 samples if it's still reading a zero rpm, to alert, play a sound, and shutdown the system. This is how I know it seems to stem from a wakeup from sleep problem. If the system fires up and power is applied, the system runs all day long with no issues of losing power to the pump. I did as you suggested and now I have the harness plugged into SATA 3, the pump plug is connected to the very first molex connector on the harness, and everything is working as I type this but it's been less then 20 minutes and as I've found out, will have to wait to see what happens after a wake from sleep event, or rather several of the next week or so.

I'm curious as to why you wanted me to try a sata port to power the pump? Is there any logic inside the power supply that's different perhaps?

Thanks!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile