EVGA

Lost money on collateral refund

Author
swany2
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/17 02:25:05 (permalink)
Sent a collateral payment of 550.00 euros which was £514.84 GBP, now I've just had my refund though paypal and I've got back £476.11 GBP cause the euro exchange rate is lower so I've lost £38.74, surely this can't be right can it?? can they not send me back the refund in GBP instead of euros? doesn't seem right that I should lose nearly £40...not happy with this whole RMA thing...surely they should dealing in the customers own local currency and not theirs
post edited by swany2 - 2017/11/17 11:25:13

12 Replies Related Threads

swany2
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 06:34:19 (permalink)
    I mean I paid £550 for this card, the collatral payment should of been £550 {and I should of got 550 GBP back} not 550 euros I didn't pay in euros, anyone from EVGA comment on this?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 06:40:18 (permalink)
    I have never understood the exchange rate changes with collateral because I don’t directly deal with them personally. You would think that they release the funds at the exact amount you sent, not in a different currency that fluctuates.
    swany2
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 06:49:02 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    I have never understood the exchange rate changes with collateral because I don’t directly deal with them personally. You would think that they release the funds at the exact amount you sent, not in a different currency that fluctuates.

Yes this seems very wrong to me, I mean do they deal with american colleteral payments in £ no they use their local currency of $, I knew something would go wrong with this cross ship collateral thing but I didn't want the down time, they should of requested the amount in pounds not euros
    post edited by swany2 - 2017/11/17 06:51:52
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 06:57:58 (permalink)
    I understand that they only have offices in specific region, but I would think releasing the payment as the same exact funds they were received would be easy.
    swany2
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 07:04:30 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    I understand that they only have offices in specific region, but I would think releasing the payment as the same exact funds they were received would be easy.

Thats the problem they received 550 euros cause thats what they asked for, then they just refunded the 550 euros back with no consideration about the fluctuating exchange rates or currency conversions
    post edited by swany2 - 2017/11/17 11:29:25
    swany2
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 08:58:48 (permalink)
    All sorted, the difference was cause of exchange rates and currency conversion which paypal kindly refunded...thankyou paypal...EVGA not so much...aside from the money issue it was 6 weeks from first contact with them to getting my money back...not a very good service IMO  and will never buy another evga product again
    post edited by swany2 - 2017/11/17 09:06:56
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 09:07:19 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that, and it is great PayPal helped you out.
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 11:31:30 (permalink)
    swany2
    All sorted, the difference was cause of exchange rates and currency conversion which paypal kindly refunded...thankyou paypal...EVGA not so much...aside from the money issue it was 6 weeks from first contact with them to getting my money back...not a very good service IMO  and will never buy another evga product again

It's Paypal's fault from the get go. Use a credit card next time, no exchange issues, refund is simply reversing the collateral charge. Using Paypal brought the issue on as they are not a bank and have TERRIBLE exchange rates in both directions: https://www.paypal.com/uk...er-and-conversion-fees

Not sure why you are blaming EVGA for Paypal's predatory exchange rates and your choice to use them.
    post edited by somethingc00l - 2017/11/17 11:36:01
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 11:52:33 (permalink)
    Hello swany2,

I apologize for any confusion about how the collateral charge and refund are processed. We operate in a country that transacts in Euros, so all charges and refunds are done in Euros. Because of the exchange rates, there's always the potential for the amount refunded to convert at a lower, or even higher, rate. Some financial institutions are willing to match the refund conversion rate to the original purchase rate, which it looks like Paypal did for you. 

As the conversion rate happens in the background when performing transactions online, it can be a bit confusing. It can be easier to understand in a more traditional brick and mortar transaction. For example, you travel Germany, and go to a currency exchange to get €100. You hand over £95 and receive €100 due to the current conversion rate. You spend that €100 at a local store, but a week later before you return home decide to return what you bought and get your €100 back. You go back to the currency exchange and hand back the €100, but only get back £90 due to a fluctuation in the exchange rate. That is essentially what is happening online as well, but in the background.

I see we received your faulty video card back on 31/10/17. The collateral should have been refunded in 1-2 business days of that. If it took longer than that, I apologize for the delay in getting that processed back to you. From the date of your initial contact with us on 15/10/17, to the date we received your product back, you should have been refunded by 11/2, or about 14 business days. I will be working with our EU department to make sure they are processing collateral refunds in a timely manner.

I hope this helps to explain what's happening when currency is converted back and forth during transactions, and again I apologize for the confusion and delay!

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    swany2
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 12:02:20 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    swany2

It's Paypal's fault from the get go. Use a credit card next time, no exchange issues, refund is simply reversing the collateral charge. Using Paypal brought the issue on as they are not a bank and have TERRIBLE exchange rates in both directions: https://www.paypal.com/uk...er-and-conversion-fees

Not sure why you are blaming EVGA for Paypal's predatory exchange rates and your choice to use them.

or they culd just just take a payment in sterling...then refund it in sterling, would of still been charged if I used my credit card as that incurs a fee

post edited by swany2 - 2017/11/17 12:12:33
    swany2
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/17 12:10:50 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    Hello swany2,

I apologize for any confusion about how the collateral charge and refund are processed. We operate in a country that transacts in Euros, so all charges and refunds are done in Euros. Because of the exchange rates, there's always the potential for the amount refunded to convert at a lower, or even higher, rate. Some financial institutions are willing to match the refund conversion rate to the original purchase rate, which it looks like Paypal did for you. 

As the conversion rate happens in the background when performing transactions online, it can be a bit confusing. It can be easier to understand in a more traditional brick and mortar transaction. For example, you travel Germany, and go to a currency exchange to get €100. You hand over £95 and receive €100 due to the current conversion rate. You spend that €100 at a local store, but a week later before you return home decide to return what you bought and get your €100 back. You go back to the currency exchange and hand back the €100, but only get back £90 due to a fluctuation in the exchange rate. That is essentially what is happening online as well, but in the background.

I see we received your faulty video card back on 31/10/17. The collateral should have been refunded in 1-2 business days of that. If it took longer than that, I apologize for the delay in getting that processed back to you. From the date of your initial contact with us on 15/10/17, to the date we received your product back, you should have been refunded by 11/2, or about 14 business days. I will be working with our EU department to make sure they are processing collateral refunds in a timely manner.

I hope this helps to explain what's happening when currency is converted back and forth during transactions, and again I apologize for the confusion and delay!

ok thanks for the reply, maybe some kind warning about this at the collateral payment page would be good?
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Exchange rate 2017/11/20 15:28:03 (permalink)
    swany2

or they culd just just take a payment in sterling...then refund it in sterling, would of still been charged if I used my credit card as that incurs a fee

I doubt you would end up paying a fee with your credit card in such a transaction as it works differently. With a CC they put an autorization hold on the card for the amount but don't do settlement, then cancel the charge/transaction when the RMA is received. So there is no transaction to charge an exchange rate on. Paypal just processes as two transactions and gets you for exchange rate both ways. Unless you are talking about some other fee, in which case get a better credit card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile