Linux compatibility and PC case

Author
drmac63
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/12/21 06:20:49 (permalink)
Hello,
I will be interested in an EVGA motherboard, either the FTWK X299 or the Dark X299. Is there a possible compatibility with Linux, preferentially OpenSuse or by default Fedora ?!

Second question: I have a Corsair 600q box that is ATX.
This box seems to have sufficient depth... But these motherboards are eATX, so i would like to know if there could be a problem or a mismatch for the assembly.

Thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Linux compatibility and PC case 2018/12/21 10:23:46 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums

Not an E-ATX case - based on Corsair specs

Corsair 600q
    (hidden at the bottom of the Page) ---> MB compatibility is Not listed under "Tech Specs" tab or in the manual
    • Compatibility

• Mini-ITX
      • MicroATX
      • ATX

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

drmac63
    Re: Linux compatibility and PC case 2018/12/21 12:38:00 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply.

Actually the EATX format is not specified, which suggests that it is not compatible. But this case accepts long GPU and seems pretty flat in the continuity of the support of the motherboard... That's what led me to say that it would still be possible.

One point I have not found in the EVGA documentation is if the mounting holes are placed in a similar way to the ATX format. There too I suppose so, but I would rather have the certainty.

Apparently the EATX format is less standardized and can vary from one manufacturer to another, which is why I prefer to multiply the checks before buying a motherboard that can not be installed in my case.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Linux compatibility and PC case 2018/12/21 14:16:58 (permalink)
    Both of the MB you have listed in OP are listed as EATX by EVGA - this would indicate they are larger than ATX MB

Corsair may have more detailed size information --> why they do not list EATX as compatible & if the standoff holes are placed for E-ATX MB

If you look at the builds in my signature, you will see I use E-ATX sized MB.  I relied on the case Mfg to indicate what fits their product

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Linux compatibility and PC case 2018/12/21 14:30:57 (permalink)
    Remember that there is also a 6-Pin Connector at the Bottom of the Motherboards if used needs a little space.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

drmac63
    Re: Linux compatibility and PC case 2018/12/21 14:45:29 (permalink)
    Rather strange thing, if the format EATX is not indicated by Corsair, on some sites it is well indicated EATX...

So I guess it would be compatible with the smallest EATX format which is 12 inches x 10,375 inches (304.8 x 276.7 mm). The other larger EATX sizes would not be accepted.

So there would be a logic in all of this, EVGA would have chose this "small " EATX format to be compatible with the maximum of PC cases. Which leaves me a Good Hope!

I totaly agree with you, if Corsair had directly indicated the incompatibility with EATX I will not ask all these questions.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile