Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance"

Author
Nec_V20
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2019/11/14 09:21:02 (permalink)
GigaByte brought out a revised version of their AGESA 1.0.0.4 B (F10c) for my GigaByte X570 AURUS XTREME motherboard which still falls short of the previous 1.0.0.3 ABBA version in that the memory clock can only be set to a maximum of 3600 (MCLK 1800, FCLK 1800) whereas in the prior BIOS version there was no problem running the RAM at 3733 (MCLK 1866, FCLK 1866).

It is however an improvement over the prior AGESA 1.0.0.4 B (F10a) version which would not even run at 3600.

That being said, I decided that I would spend an entire day (from 10AM to 10PM) yesterday finding out the state of play with regard to my system and the configuration options offered by Ryzen Master Version 2.0.2.1271.

For this test I decided that I should do a completely clean installation of Windows 10 Enterprise, with only the latest patches for the OS, drivers and Ryzen Master installed and running and using CineBench R20 as the benchmark for all the tests.

Here is my Windows version:

The following Ryzen Master parameters were the same for all the tests:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I followed the same testing methodology for each of the options offered by Ryzen Master - Eco-Mode, Default, Precision Boost Overdrive, Auto Overclocking and Manual - which consisted of running CineBench twice before recording the CineBench Score (if there was a discrepancy between the first and second run I would do a third one) in both All-Core and Single core.

After this I would run the All-Core and Single-Core tests again but this time I would screenshot Ryzen Master whilst the test was running and for each screenshot I chose the same part of the Benchmark run for all the different options to show the system load.

The only thing running on the system for the score was CineBench R20 and Ryzen Master, whereby CineBench was always in the foreground (focussed) and Ryzen Master was behind that window.

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)

14 Replies Related Threads

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/14 09:22:08 (permalink)
    The first test up was Eco-Mode and the Cinebench score was:

The system load during the single core run was:

The system load during the all-core run was:

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 Watt, Case: Phanteks EVOLV X, Mobo: GigaByte X570 AURUS Master, CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X, GPU: Powecolor Red Devil 6900XT, RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team Group CL16, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Boot-drive: Team Group 1TB M.2, Fans: 7 x Phanteks T30 120mm, HD: 5*WD 14TB, 2*WD Blue 2TB M.2 SSD (Games), Keyboard: DasKeyboard 4 MX-Blue, Mouse: Logitech G903, Monitor: ASUS PB287Q (2160p 60 Hz); LG 32GK850F-B (1440p 144 Hz)
    Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/14 09:23:12 (permalink)
    The second test was the Default mode, the benchmark score was:

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/14 09:24:26 (permalink)
    The third test was the Precision Boost Over Overdrive mode, the benchmark score was:

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/14 09:25:36 (permalink)
    The fourth test was the Auto Overclock mode, the benchmark score was:

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/14 09:26:47 (permalink)
    What us beyond my ken is that in all four of the above scenarios, there is next to no difference between the various CineBench results, but what flabbergasts me entirely is that in the First and Second scenarios I am running my system "In Spec" according to AMD; however in the Third and Fourth scenarios, I am, according to AMD, voiding my warranty on my CPU by implementing them.

There is however next to no difference in the exorbitant amount of voltage being applied - especially the single core CineBench runs result in voltages being applied to the CPU cores which I would consider to be reckless.

TSMC - the creators of the 7nm Node and the people who should know what they are talking about - have, according to reports I have read, specified a maximum voltage of 1.30 to other reports I have seen 1.325 Volts for that Node.

Under no circumstances in the scenarios above are any of those maximums even remotely adhered to.

What is worse in my view is that not only is a ridiculous amount of voltage being pumped into the CPU, but the results, in terms of CineBench results does not even remotely justify it, as can be seen when I manually configure Ryzen Master to remain within specs:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The fifth test was the Manual Mode, the benchmark score was:

By manually clocking the cores to 4.225 GHz and setting the Peak Core(s) Voltage to 1.325V I do take a performance hit on the single core score of around 3.5% I do however gain over 2.6% in the all-core score.

And this at significantly less voltage and temps.

Aside from synthetic benchmarks, how often are single core workloads applied to the CPU, let me think now, ah yes, that would be NEVER.

All things considered, any Ryzen Option aside from manual configuration results running the CPU in what AMD itself considers an unsafe and potentially damaging way.

The thing is that applying too much voltage over time will not normally suddenly kill the CPU, but rather degrade the performance, and then, if AMD is lucky, not kill off the CPU that people have spent quite a lot of money on within the three year warranty.

The Default amount of voltage will be applied whether Ryzen Master is loaded or not, and the so-called "Eco-Mode" can only be considered a sick joke on the part of AMD.

post edited by Nec_V20 - 2019/11/16 01:22:31

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/15 07:09:32 (permalink)
    nice job testing..

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/16 00:11:18 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    nice job testing..

Thanks for that, I hope it is of some use to you.

Below I will be posting a question that was put to me and that prompted some further info from me that you might find useful

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/16 00:16:08 (permalink)
    Someone replied to my initial post:

This is a timely post, since I'm having similar issues on my ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero with 3700X. My testing isn't as complete as yours, but I'm seeing no difference in performance between modes of operation, but big differences in power draw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/...yone_else_seeing_this/

(I'd post that information here, but reformatting it for this forum doesn't sound like much fun).

One thing I'd like to point out, though, is that your screenshots of the Eco-Mode run show Default as being the Control Mode (not Eco-Mode). It's possible you've just grabbed the wrong screenshots. But, I ran into a case where Ryzen Master just reverted away from Eco-Mode when I shut it down and restarted it (as opposed to resetting it myself).

Also, did you have to do anything special to get Eco-Mode to show up in Ryzen Master? On my Asus board, it won't show up unless PBO is turned on in the BIOS. And, PBO seems to override anything Eco-Mode wants to do.

This was my reply:

I had not noticed that, but I just activated Eco-Mode once more, and here are the two screenshots from the actual profile and then the home page where the various readouts are shown:

Here is how the Profile page is displayed:

And this is how it is displayed on the Home Page:

So unless "Eco-Mode" is completely bogus, it could well be that it hasn't been linked to the Home Page readouts.

I would strenuously warn against setting values in BIOS for two reasons:

1) It interferes with the working of Ryzen Master (the one exception to this that I have found is setting the LLC - Load Line Callibration) in my experience. The reason for this is that you will have noticed that changes you can make in the BIOS section involving tweaking is mirrored in the "AMD Overclocking" and "AMD CBS" sections of the BIOS, the actual changes you make however does not seem to be reflected there.

From what I have seen, it appears that Ryzen Master is unaware of the setting entered into the "AI Tweaker" area of the BIOS and if the settings you enter into the Ryzen Master software conflicts with what you have entered into the Tweaker area of the BIOS then you are going to be entering a world of pain.

2) Any changes you make in in the "AMD Overclocking" and "AMD CBS" section of the BIOS cannot be undone with a "Clear CMOS" and if you screw something up by putting in a wrong value, it can brick your system and then you better hope that you have a mobo that has a flashback function to reflash the BIOS.

If you are going to be using Ryzen Master, then, in my experience, it is imperative that you activate "Load Optimised BIOS Defaults" and then only change the the LLC (Load Line Calibration) values for the CPU and Vcore SOC.

The AGESA versions are shipped to the motherboard manufacturers as a binary, and not as source code, so the other parts of the BIOS have to treat the AGESA portion as a "Black Box" and see what changes in their BIOS values have on whatever the hell is going on in the AGESA portion. The ironic saying, "What could possibly go wrong", comes to mind

In my case I have set the Vcore LLC to "Turbo" which is the third highest value and for the Vcore SOC I have set it to "High" which is also the third highest value. The rule of thumb for setting these values has always been never to set the highest or next highest value, unless you have a really good reason for doing so.

This generation of Ryzen CPUs is my first experience with an AMD Ryzen BIOS and it has been a steep learning curve compared to the Intel BIOSes I have become used to over the decades (I have been a computer techie now for 37 years and am 60 years old) so it quite literally has been a case of "Teaching an old dog new tricks"

My experience has been with the GigaByte Ryzen BIOS; however I am confident that my experience is applicable to your ASUS BIOS. It has taken me days/weeks of trial and error to come to the conclusions I have shared with you.

The bottom line is, that you can either set the values in the BIOS by hand and avoid Ryzen Master, or load the BIOS defaults, set LLC and nothing else and then control the BIOS via Ryzen Master. Any other combination has resulted in my system reacting erratically and unpredictably.

I wrote something else which you may find interesting here:

https://forums.evga.com/D...en-3900X-m3001694.aspx

P.S. If you want to format something from Reddit to post here, then just copy the text and then and paste it into Notepad, turning "Word Wrap" off under the option "Format", then copy that and paste it here. It takes a lot of the hassle out of the whole procedure.
    post edited by Nec_V20 - 2019/11/16 00:18:19

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/16 00:31:48 (permalink)
    Outstanding testing and very good info. I wish I could give you a BR for every test post but I can only give you one.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/16 02:10:30 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Outstanding testing and very good info. I wish I could give you a BR for every test post but I can only give you one.

That's very kind of you to even consider any of them worthy of a ribbon.

What drove me nuts however after I built my Ryzen system is that the info which was (and is) out there is geared towards making everything sound as complicated as possible and the KISS principle has been tossed out of the window.

Put as simply as possible, if you buy a 3900X or a 3950X (which I will be getting when it is released) you can easily configure it for two modes, HEDT and Gaming.

If you want to use it for HEDT applications, then just set up a Manual profile in Ryzen Master, set the peak voltage to what you feel comfortable with (I would suggest 1.3 Volts), find out the highest all-core clockspeed your CPU can run at stably at that peak voltage after benchmarking the ever loving snot out of it and you are done.

If you want to use it for Gaming, then set up a different profile, only this time turn SMT off, keeping the same peak voltage setting (so that you are running it as a straight 12 Core/12 Thread or 16 Core/16 Thread CPU) and again find the highest all-core clockspeed (which you will find to be at least 100 MHz higher than running SMT) and again bench the hell out of it to test stability.

As far as the BIOS is concerned, just load the defaults, set LLC (Load Line Calibration) as I stated above, and forget it.

With all this done, switching from HEDT to Gaming modes for your Ryzen CPU is just a case of choosing the profile and rebooting.

If your temps are a bit high, then just lower the voltage a tad, shave some of the clockspeed off and you are done.

In my case, with my 3600X which I have been using on my testbed, if I want the system to run at a peak voltage of 1.30 Volts, then I just reduce the maximum clockspeed down from 4.225 GHz to 4.2 GHz and I am done.

This is a good thing to bear in mind if you have an exceptionally hot Summer and it is causing your system to become unstable, it's only two variables you have to change and it's sorted.

The thing is that I like to make things easy for myself, and if I can make life easier for others by sharing my experience then that is an added bonus in and of itself.

Nec_V20
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/21 03:50:19 (permalink)
    So I decided to play the game, "How low can you go" with regard to the voltage and still be able to do multiple Cinebench runs without crashing.

The lowest it would run at stably after multiple reboots and Cinebench R20 runs was 1.275 Volts at an all core of 4.225 GHz, going down to 1.26875 Volts resulted in an almost immediate crash, as in black screen and reboot.

Here is the Cinebench score at 1.275 Volts

The ambient temperature was 25° C as measured by the thermistor that came with my new motherboard and that is the normal ambient temperature which is applicable to the results I got in the first post of this thread.

I realised that posting the results with no indication of the ambient temperature made the results somewhat ambiguous. The results were, and are, valid with regard to each other in my own environment, but not comparable with results others have when benchmarking in a different environment.

When I get the 3950X (hopefully at the end of this month if there are no shortages) I will be supplementing this post with those results conducted in the same way.
    post edited by Nec_V20 - 2019/11/21 04:04:04

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/21 05:07:48 (permalink)
    excellent work , again.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/11/21 10:58:56 (permalink)
    Here's an interesting article -  https://www.anandtech.com/show/15137/amd-clarifies-best-cores-vs-preferred-cores

in particular on how the new CPUs’ boost behaviour behaves in relation to a discrepancy between what tools such as Ryzen Master showcase as the best CPU cores, and what operating systems such as Windows interpret as being the best CPU cores. Today AMD is officially commenting on the situation and why it arises, whilst also describing what they’re doing to remedy the discrepancies in the data.

near bottom of article the writer says ;

Generally I recommend ignoring Ryzen Master as a monitoring tool as its display abstractions of frequency and voltage just do not correspond to the actual physical characteristics of the hardware. I also hope that in the future Microsoft will be able to further improve the Windows scheduler to better deal with more complex CPU topologies such as AMD’s Ryzen processors, as there’s still a lot of optimizations that could be achieved.

post edited by aka_STEVE_b - 2019/11/21 11:39:31

owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4754
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Let's talk about Ryzen Master and "Performance" 2019/12/05 12:23:50 (permalink)
     I think AMD is playing a key role in the background which we have little control over.
    Especially core voltage and core usage. For me, I have found Active CCD mode all cores set to 4450 and Peak Core Voltage 1.4125v to give me the best results.
    YMMV

Here are my RM settings saved to Profile 2 currently active screen capture.

I know 1.4125v may sound scary but let me illustrate why I think it's fine to set "Peak Core(s) Voltage" there.

To be clear, my mobo bios (1105) defaults to 1.481 vcore and 2133 memory clock, so when I say User Default I mean I have made two changes to optimized defaults.
    1) D.O.C.P. Standard 2) 1.325 vcore.
    All results listed below reflect that setting persisting in bios.

User & Ryzen Master Defaults CB R20 scores 5795 multi 494 single core.

User + RM Manual 4450 CCD Active + 1.4125 Peak Core(s) Voltage CB R20 Scores
    Multi 7840 +29% Single 510 +3% (I'd like to point out single core is not suffering)

To illustrate how defaults compare to All core OC I ran CB R20 with HWiNFO64 open to capture what is actually going on.
    Interestingly peak VCORE hits 1.50v @ User Defaults and higher overall cores for that matter when Idle yet 1.044v when benching.
    I think that is the opposite of how we think voltages are applied when benching and I think a key point to keep an eye on.

Max Vcore for the all-core clock hits 1.406v when benching and idle according to Adia64 1.320v idle.

I'll let you decide which is better.
    Both Below (4450 vs Default) were captured when running the multi-core bench.

I have yet to tune my memory which is the next step for me in my overclocking journey with this setup but I have tried these settings manually in bios without success. Clearly Ryzen master is making a lot of changes that are not evident from their dialog. I have got to think it's doable but for the moment RM is easier to activate once in windows. It would be nice to know all the bios changes RM is making because it's not as simple as adjusting the multi and setting the Vcore to make it work.

I have used the RM 4450 settings in-game BFV and BF4 and I've passed 30 min. of Real Bench Stress Test, Handbrake, Blender and various benchmarks with nary a glitch.

CPUz Validation
    User Bench results @ 4450
    PCM10 7022/User defaults
    PCM10 7423/4450
    14334 Time Spy GPU Default
    15591 Time Spy GPU +84cc +1000mc

It's interesting to note running CB R20 multi-core bench at stock clocks all core voltages peak at .0969 and all cores max clock hits 34.3x and best cores C04 & C11 play no role more than the other cores.

post edited by owcraftsman - 2019/12/05 12:48:51

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    EVGA Affiliate Code GMER9XL4N
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile