Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 81951
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2021/04/05 01:38:54 (permalink)
LG to Close Mobile Phone Business Worldwide | TechPowerUp

LG Electronics Inc. (LG) announced that it is closing its mobile business unit. The decision was approved by its board of directors earlier today. LG's strategic decision to exit the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector will enable the company to focus resources in growth areas such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions, as well as platforms and services.

Current LG phone inventory will continue to be available for sale. LG will provide service support and software updates for customers of existing mobile products for a period of time which will vary by region. LG will work collaboratively with suppliers and business partners throughout the closure of the mobile phone business. Details related to employment will be determined at the local level.

Moving forward, LG will continue to leverage its mobile expertise and develop mobility-related technologies such as 6G to help further strengthen competitiveness in other business areas. Core technologies developed during the two decades of LG's mobile business operations will also be retained and applied to existing and future products.

The wind down of the mobile phone business is expected to be completed by July 31 although inventory of some existing models may still be available after that.

I had a feeling this would happen. LG's mobile sales haven't been anywhere near as high as where the company wished it to be. 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X,  Corsair Mp600 Pro M.2 2TB, 128GB DDR4  Crosshair VIII Hero, RTX 3080 XC3,  Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF

4 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 7094
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: LG to Close Mobile Phone Business Worldwide 2021/04/05 04:52:40 (permalink)
    I agree that the LG phones haven't done as well as Samsung phones. Probably it's better for them to focus on the screens that they make as LG is pretty impressive in that department.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bobmitch
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5478
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re: LG to Close Mobile Phone Business Worldwide 2021/04/05 05:52:16 (permalink)
    My last three phones have been LG, by choice...and I have always liked the features and abilities of the phones.  Sad to hear...always thought Samsung phones were somewhat hyped...

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; EVGA RTX 2080TI XC Black; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Samsung 500GB 980 Pro NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Logitech G903 Lightspeed Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2720
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: LG to Close Mobile Phone Business Worldwide 2021/04/05 17:48:05 (permalink)
    bobmitch
    ...always thought Samsung phones were somewhat hyped...

I think almost everyone thinks that...

Have water, will cool. 

Don't forget to use an Associate Code at checkout for extra savings! Associate Code: FWBXGF17CKOMCIV
    undecided65
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 133
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: LG to Close Mobile Phone Business Worldwide 2021/04/06 13:16:23 (permalink)
    Oh what? Just bought one  over the holidays and it has a 3 year warranty. What happens if it breaks?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile