Kingpin Update Finale

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LinusTouchTips
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/08/02 07:04:54 (permalink)
It's been almost a week later since i made the decision to buy the card. Regrets yes of course I spent a ton of money it's no different from spending on a new car you almost always feel buyers remorse. After a lot of tweaking and trying to get every last benchmark to meet my expectations sadly it wasn't meant to be. The barrier still existed beating it was only beating myself. Next I tried to find the good in the card. It looks great the copper plating the logos rgb three fan design so dreamy. Its extremely fast and stable while gaming I know shocking right. So what's next do I RMA it try again, invest in a water block or aftermarket cooling kit for better temps, or go nuts and invest in ln2 cooling pots to see its true power. Sure i can do all of those. Will i get any better performance i sure hope so. Thanks EVGA for selling the card to me it made me laugh, cry and all those things I never had the opportunity to buy Kingpin cards in the past and i think even though it's not doing crazy good things for me its definitely a keeper. I'll be investing more into this card for a good while maybe i might break the barrier then  the end. 

32 Replies Related Threads

mgoldshteyn
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/02 11:18:16 (permalink)
    You should have bought an FTW3 Hybrid and saved $150
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/02 12:39:43 (permalink)
    So you're going to use some LN2 on the card?
    kwkrnu72
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 598
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/02 14:15:43 (permalink)
    Sajin
    So you're going to use some LN2 on the card?

lol
    TiN_EE
    Yes, that TiN
    • Total Posts : 377
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/02 16:33:10 (permalink)
    it made me laugh, cry and all those things

That's what the KPE series cards about. To get fun, and push the limits ;). Maybe you can get few hints from fresh OC Guide as well. 

If you decide to go LN2, that would be another level of fun too, so if you like tinkering with hardware and exploring, don't get yourself stopped half-way. You already got the card ready for that, cutting of 80% of the stuff, you otherwise need to learn and do in case of other 1080Ti's to make then run with extreme OC. We always glad to see new people join LN2 club ;).

If you have question, please post in public forum. I do not reply PMs, so all in community can benefit the answer. 
    mgoldshteyn
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/04 11:30:24 (permalink)
    Why is there no Hybrid version of this card?
    reforger9
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 11:12:13 (permalink)
    Will thier be a AIO closed loop kit for the 1080 Kingpin?
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 11:30:26 (permalink)
    mgoldshteyn

The K|NGP|N cards are designed with LN2 cooling in mind. Although I love the Hybrid, it really isn't practical with a K|NGP|N. If you aren't doing competitive extreme overclocking then I recommend going with a Hybrid FTW3 or something similar for greater longevity.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    kwkrnu72
    SSC Member
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 19:34:17 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JosephL
    mgoldshteyn

The K|NGP|N cards are designed with LN2 cooling in mind. Although I love the Hybrid, it really isn't practical with a K|NGP|N. If you aren't doing competitive extreme overclocking then I recommend going with a Hybrid FTW3 or something similar for greater longevity.

OO OO, I have a couple of questions, EVGA guy:

1) EVGA markets this card to every Tom, Roy and Dumba....why?
    2) A good many of us know this GPU is an absolute waste of money for air or water cooling, as does EVGA, so......why put an air cooler on it at all?  Why not save the cold enthusiasts some money and keep the copper / plastic nightmare that just ends up in the trash anyway?

**Not all of us have sponsors, ya know**
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 19:50:17 (permalink)
    kwkrnu72

2) A good many of us know this GPU is an absolute waste of money for air or water cooling, as does EVGA, so......why put an air cooler on it at all?  Why not save the cold enthusiasts some money and keep the copper / plastic nightmare that just ends up in the trash anyway?

Even extreme overclockers don't toss the cooler, because they also have to return the card to stock if they are sending it in for an RMA.  They also resale just as well.  The card has always been market for every tom, richard, and harry, because even if it wasn't, they would still buy it.  No extreme GPU, to include the Strix, HOF, or any other comes without an air cooler.... NVidia has probably made a rule saying that a cooler of some sort must be attached.  It is on the user to do research, and as much as everyone tells them no, they still pour money out of their eye sockets in hopes that a mythical unicorn would be found in a card that is marketed for something they will never ever do in their life, and they don't even want to hear about what it is meant for, because they don't plan on using it that way, they just want something that says it is the best so they can brag.. 

TLDR, it doesn't matter, since tom, richard, and harry will continue to pour money into stuff they shouldn't, even if you tell them it won't work at all.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 19:55:30 (permalink)
    kwkrnu72
    EVGATech_JosephL
    mgoldshteyn

1) Higher component quality is attractive to some buyers.
    2) See #1.
    kwkrnu72
    SSC Member
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 20:04:53 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    kwkrnu72

Even extreme overclockers don't toss the cooler, because they also have to return the card to stock if they are sending it in for an RMA.  They also resale just as well.  The card has always been market for every tom, richard, and harry, because even if it wasn't, they would still buy it.  No extreme GPU, to include the Strix, HOF, or any other comes without an air cooler.... NVidia has probably made a rule saying that a cooler of some sort must be attached.  It is on the user to do research, and as much as everyone tells them no, they still pour money out of their eye sockets in hopes that a mythical unicorn would be found in a card that is marketed for something they will never ever do in their life, and they don't even want to hear about what it is meant for, because they don't plan on using it that way, they just want something that says it is the best so they can brag.. 

TLDR, it doesn't matter, since tom, richard, and harry will continue to pour money into stuff they shouldn't, even if you tell them it won't work at all.

Still doesn't make any sense to me....I guess EVGA, ASUS and Galax all make money on the marketing hype....so be it.

All the same...I'd like to hear EVGA's response.

Sajin

1) Higher component quality is attractive to some buyers.
    2) See #1.

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that....you're actually pretty knowledgeable, don't ruin it.....

post edited by kwkrnu72 - 2017/08/22 20:06:58
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 20:16:43 (permalink)
    kwkrnu72
    I'm going to pretend you didn't say that....you're actually pretty knowledgeable, don't ruin it.....

So you don't think the components that make up the kingpin card are any better than the ones used on the ftw3?
    kwkrnu72
    SSC Member
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 20:41:26 (permalink)
    Sajin
    kwkrnu72

So you don't think the components that make up the kingpin card are any better than the ones used on the ftw3?

Some of them probably are.  I also know it won't make even a little bit of difference in the performance or longevity of the GPU.  They're designed around a specific purpose...cold... Will those special components work above ambient?  Absolutely.  Will they work BETTER above ambient?  Absolutely not.

Aaaaaand...it's gone

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/22 21:54:53 (permalink)
    kwkrnu72
    Sajin
    kwkrnu72

Some of them probably are.  I also know it won't make even a little bit of difference in the performance or longevity of the GPU.  They're designed around a specific purpose...cold... Will those special components work above ambient?  Absolutely.  Will they work BETTER above ambient?  Absolutely not.

Aaaaaand...it's gone

I never said the higher quality components would help performance on air. The higher quality components used in the kingpin vrm will definitely help improve the lifespan & reliability of the card under all conditions.
    kwkrnu72
    SSC Member
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 05:45:01 (permalink)
    Sajin
    kwkrnu72
    Sajin
    kwkrnu72

Aaaaaand...it's gone

I never said the higher quality components would help performance on air. The higher quality components used in the kingpin vrm will definitely help improve the lifespan & reliability of the card under all conditions.

So, you're actually going to say out loud, that the KPE will last longer than the FTW, or any other 1080ti for that matter, because it has better VRMs?  /smh  

You should yell "pop" as loud as you can.  Go ahead..."POP".  Do it yet?  Good.  That sound was your head popping out of your a....you know.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 07:01:15 (permalink)
    kwkrnu72
    Sajin
    kwkrnu72
    Sajin
    kwkrnu72

Aaaaaand...it's gone

So, you're actually going to say out loud, that the KPE will last longer than the FTW, or any other 1080ti for that matter, because it has better VRMs?  /smh  

You should yell "pop" as loud as you can.  Go ahead..."POP".  Do it yet?  Good.  That sound was your head popping out of your a....you know.

No, as you and I both know that there is always a chance that any component could fail at anytime.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 07:56:40 (permalink)
    The 780ti KPE was honestly a nice card, but we have all seen the issues with the 980, 980ti, and now 1080ti variants on air at least. Water helped get the card a little more stable, but still not outperforming the standard variants of their respective line.

Honestly, there was all sorts of articles of the 1080ti founders with epower board breaking 3ghz. The 980ti kpe, could keep up with the 980ti reference with epower... why are we only seeing 2650 on the 1080ti kpe. Why isn't the overclocks doing as well or better than the epowered founders cards?

It has been proven that quality of components doesn't translate to quality of performance, and that still continues to show as time goes. It's a placebo effect. When the 1080ti kpe overclocks better than the 1080ti founders with epower mods, then I will be very impressed. I still find it strange that Vince hasn't been publishing tons of records with the 1080ti KPE like he did with the 980ti KPE. It has been a relatively silent release on all fronts, aside from user complaints.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/08/23 08:02:00
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 08:20:07 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    The 780ti KPE was honestly a nice card, but we have all seen the issues with the 980, 980ti, and now 1080ti variants on air at least. Water helped get the card a little more stable, but still not outperforming the standard variants of their respective line.

Honestly, there was all sorts of articles of the 1080ti founders with epower board breaking 3ghz. The 980ti kpe, could keep up with the 980ti reference with epower... why are we only seeing 2650 on the 1080ti kpe. Why isn't the overclocks doing as well or better than the epowered founders cards? 

It has been proven that quality of components doesn't translate to quality of performance, and that still continues to show as time goes. It's a placebo effect. When the 1080ti kpe overclocks better than the 1080ti founders with epower mods, then I will be very impressed. I still find it strange that Vince hasn't been publishing tons of records with the 1080ti KPE like he did with the 980ti KPE. It has been a relatively silent release on all fronts, aside from user complaints.

I believe that 3 GHz on the FE card wasn't 3dmark stable. It was only a frequency record.

Kingpin latest result as of 10 hours ago... https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13430752 
    Kaapstad
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 08:29:56 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Scarlet-Tech

I believe that 3 GHz on the FE card wasn't 3dmark stable. It was only a frequency record.

Why do people bench with modified settings

"Level of Detail (LOD) settings modified by NVIDIA driver, result invalid. Check your video driver settings."

It makes the bench totally pointless.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 08:34:40 (permalink)
    Kaapstad

"Level of Detail (LOD) settings modified by NVIDIA driver, result invalid. Check your video driver settings."

Trying to get the highest score possible. 
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 11:32:16 (permalink)
    kwkrnu72
    EVGATech_JosephL
    mgoldshteyn

To answer your questions:

1) K|NGP|N cards offer the greatest minimum guaranteed clock frequency and has the highest level of engineering out of our cards. This is not something we would limit merely to extreme LN2 overclockers, just like a Ferrari is not limited to a particular type of driver. If you have the money to spend and want the best of the best then by all means go for it! The Hybrid has the all in one liquid cooling solution you inquired about. If you want a simple solution, I highly recommend the Hybrid.

2) I would respectfully disagree that the air cooler is a waste. We guarantee incredibly high performance with every K|NGP|N and we also guarantee that the GPU will not overheat with the stock cooler. If you experience overheating then that is a hardware issue and we have an incredible warranty service to cover you! I do recommend that you do not trash the stock cooler as this is needed to RMA your card.

Hopefully this answers your questions sufficiently. If you have more, I am happy to answer. 

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 14:08:31 (permalink)
    Kaapstad
    sajin

I wonder if it had anything to do with quad sli being utilized?

Also, I am seeing lots of graphics scores near the same as the kpe, and I think one of the single gpu's was a HOF card. I am on my phone, so it really hard to look at the hall of fame on 3d mark.

Even if the FE w/epower was frequency record, they made sure to advertise it as hard as possible, which they haven't done on a KPE card.
    topyoyoguybest
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 16:23:53 (permalink)
    I thought the 3g buzz was with the 1060, the first pascal to break it?

Kingpin is definitely (slowly) taking down his hacked up 1080ti and 6950x scores, one by one, with the KPE, 7960x, 299 Dark combo. I can't even imagine trying to balance out 4way, better yet on LN2 with a work-in-progress MOBO and new intel platform.

Sega's 1x record was a HOF, no clue what BIOS he has access to, but it didn't seem like he had a power card hanging off it, maybe some smaller vmods??

Anyways, Scarlett called it, no miracle 1080ti. Don't say you weren't warned.

I'm more interested in the Dark board... when is that coming out?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 16:27:37 (permalink)
    topyoyoguybest
    I thought the 3g buzz was with the 1060, the first pascal to break it?

Kingpin is definitely (slowly) taking down his hacked up 1080ti and 6950x scores, one by one, with the KPE, 7960x, 299 Dark combo. I can't even imagine trying to balance out 4way, better yet on LN2 with a work-in-progress MOBO and new intel platform.

Sega's 1x record was a HOF, no clue what BIOS he has access to, but it didn't seem like he had a power card hanging off it, maybe some smaller vmods??

Anyways, Scarlett called it, no miracle 1080ti. Don't say you weren't warned.

I'm more interested in the Dark board... when is that coming out?

Not sure when the dark will finally arrive for those that want it, but Vince is testing it, so probably coming soon.

Also, 1080ti *Founders* 3ghz: https://www.eteknix.com/n...rrier-overclocked-ln2/
    Kaapstad
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/23 23:46:57 (permalink)
    Shame EVGA don't sell Titan Xp cards as they are noticeably faster than any 1080 Ti including the Kingpin and it would be good to see Vince get the maximum out of them on LN2.
    topyoyoguybest
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/24 15:54:41 (permalink)
    Scratch what I said about sega's ($@39@) #1 score, single GPU w/HOF, he was just banned for cheating. Are you following the drama?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/24 16:14:36 (permalink)
    topyoyoguybest
    Scratch what I said about sega's ($@39@) #1 score, single GPU w/HOF, he was just banned for cheating. Are you following the drama?

Nope. Would need a link to see what you are referring to. Had a 12 hour work day and missed the excitement... except the part where i finally had the chance to see an Air Force Thunderbird.
    topyoyoguybest
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/25 02:22:11 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    topyoyoguybest

Nope. Would need a link to see what you are referring to. Had a 12 hour work day and missed the excitement... except the part where i finally had the chance to see an Air Force Thunderbird.

airpower.

Pretty epic thread, a lot of the big guys chime in. The fallout includes the #1 overclocker in the world getting banned and HWBOT mods taking away points for 2 benchmarks, affecting just about everyone.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Kingpin Update Finale 2017/08/25 03:15:09 (permalink)
    topyoyoguybest
    topyoyoguybest

Pretty epic thread, a lot of the big guys chime in. The fallout includes the #1 overclocker in the world getting banned and HWBOT mods taking away points for 2 benchmarks, affecting just about everyone.

Where's the link?  Or, since you may not be allowed to post links here yet due to your new member status, where are the instructions for how to find this article?  A lot of anticipation without substance.

Edit:  This may be it: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=172163
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2017/08/25 03:17:33

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile