EVGA

KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice

Author
Crimsonghost99
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/14 10:30:28 (permalink)
Hello all. I have been away from the forums, and my “new” build, for a while dealing with some life issues that popped up but am now trying to get this project wrapped up. Short version of the back story is that I bought all the components for this build just as the KPE 2080 Ti was released, put it all together, had a dead CPU and replaced it, and the system was up and running great. I ordered the Hydro Copper block for the GPU the day it was available, broke the system down to install the water block, got it installed, and then life happened. I recently started up the build again and got it all put together. Ran a full leak test on the loop with no issues, and powered everything up. After updating drivers, Windows, and the BIOS I commenced with the stress testing. After a full 24 hours of AIDA 64 on the CPU with a peak CPU temp of 74. Not bad for a 9900K at 5 GHz all core. Then I moved onto the GPU.

I did not change anything from when the card was on its AIO and the OC is a mild +100 to the core and +300 to the memory. I ran a few Timespy and Firestrike runs and they went smooth. Peak GPU temp through all the testing was 41C and everything looked to be going great. When I get back to the system after work yesterday I fired up BF5 and Metro Exodus to experience the Ray Tracing goodness and the problems began. Without any warning I start getting what I believe are artifacts followed by a complete system lock up. After a few minutes the system will reboot and seems to function normally until I go to do anything more than web browsing. Any attempt to play a game, or run a benchmark eventually leads to the same result of artifacts and a lock up. Sometimes it’s 5 minutes, other times it’s at the menu.

So that’s what I’m dealing with. I am at a loss for what to do next. I dread having to tear down the system for an RMA but obviously will if that’s what’s required. Literally the only thing that has changed in the system is the addition of the HC water block and a couple months of non-use while sitting safely in its box. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try to add some pics if I can figure it out. Thank you all.

Link to Imgur pics- https://imgur.com/a/Oo9xIWz

23 Replies Related Threads

Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 10:32:23 (permalink)
    Edit-having issues getting the screenshots posted.
    dgspider
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 10:47:29 (permalink)
    i would put cpu and gpu at stock settings
    and might check the cable two the monitor .
    check gpu in another pc if you can .
    post edited by dgspider - 2019/08/14 10:51:39

~CPU:> Intel i7 8700k @3.70          
    ~CPU COOLER:> Noctua nh d14s
    ~MOBO:> EVGA z370  Classified K
        ~GRAPHICS :> EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA 
       ~RAM:> gSKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)   3200
    ~HD:> 960 pro 512g 
      ~PSU:> EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
     ~MONITOR:> 23" asus 1920x1080 and acer 16" 1366x768  
     ~INPUT:> Logitech G15 Keyboard and Logitech 502 mouse   
        ~O/S:> win10 (64) "pro"   

Affiliate  : CVLX5QGGI0
     Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/106038

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 10:53:06 (permalink)
    Yep , either monitor going bad , cable is bad from card to monitor , ... or the video card itself.

Underclock the card by at least 100 lower than its supposed to be - to see if that fixes it.
    Or try a different card ( if you have one )

Either of those , should tell you if it's your card or not.....
    post edited by aka_STEVE_b - 2019/08/14 11:24:55

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    bp7178
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 373
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 10:54:18 (permalink)
    Call support and get going on the RMA. 

Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 13:34:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will give those a try. I do have a few extra monitors and cables laying around so I will try those as well as setting everything back to stock settings.

I just remembered I have the BIOS switch in the middle position. Could that have anything to do with it? I also need to check if there has been a new bios released in the past couple of months.

Can anyone confirm from the pics that it is indeed artifacts that I am seeing? Never looked into it too much in the past as I have never experienced it and only know of artifacting due to the initial problems associated with the early 2080 ti cards.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 15:14:48 (permalink)
    Yep, looks like a vram issue to me.
    Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 17:16:06 (permalink)
    Update time. I spent the last few hours trying different things to rule out possibilities. Two different monitors, HDMI and Display Port, resetting all of the options in Precision X1 (That software is horrid) to default, Normal and OC BIOS switches on the KPE, and lastly updated my mobo (Asus Maximus XI Extrme) to the newest BIOS which reset everything to stock. None of that made any difference. In fact, I think it got worse. I now have display problems before I can even boot into BIOS. New pics are below but I think I may have to start the RMA process. Can anyone from EVGA chime in here with a suggestion or idea? Would really appreciate it.

Attached Image(s)

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 17:28:16 (permalink)
    BIOS logo + artifacts?  Surely RMA time for that GPU unfortunately because that rules out windows/Nvidia drivers all together.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 18:17:50 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    BIOS logo + artifacts?  Surely RMA time for that GPU unfortunately because that rules out windows/Nvidia drivers all together.

I stumbled across another thread where someone had a similar experience to mine after installing the HC block, but it was a different card. Has this been an issue in the time I was away?
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1018
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 18:22:40 (permalink)
    Crimson did you test the card with the AIO on it?  It may be worth a shot to see if reinstalling it makes it work fine as i had artifacts only after the waterblock was installed.  Ive since corrected the issue however before rma it may be worth a shot.
    Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 18:44:40 (permalink)
    6dracing
    Crimson did you test the card with the AIO on it?  It may be worth a shot to see if reinstalling it makes it work fine as i had artifacts only after the waterblock was installed.  Ive since corrected the issue however before rma it may be worth a shot.

I did have the system working wonderfully after replacing my CPU while the KPE was using its AIO. If EVGA is going to require me to reinstall the AIO before RMA I may give it a try purely for testing purposes. However, I will not accept that as a fix. Myself, and many others, have paid a hefty premium for not only the GPU itself but also the crazy expensive water block and I expect nothing but perfection from this combination of offerings. I am curious if EVGA will let me ship them everything and they can install the HC block on the new card. Doesn’t seem like a big request while returning a malfunctioning product that I paid well over $2000 dollars for. Time will tell.
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 19:12:46 (permalink)
    You will have to install the original cooler for RMA.  Its worth a shot.  I promise you its very possible you have a short causing the issue or maybe even high memory temps on the GPU (as someone told me).  If you do re install the AIO and it works its worth trying the waterblock install again.  What i did different was i set the waterblock on a box and then installed the gpu to it.  So basically the gpu was upside down.  Line the holes up with the standoffs and install holding pressure on the area that the gpu die is  at.  Install those 4 screws while holding pressure still.  Work in an x pattern across the whole board tightening the screws.  I didnt remove pressure untill all were snug.  Dont get crazy with tightening the screws. Thats really all i did different.
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/14 19:16:05 (permalink)
    This is the thread that was most useful to me.  You will see Cool GTX, jackbaur and bcavanaugh all have great input on how to install these. Disregard if you followed this method.

https://forums.evga.com/2...question-m2982029.aspx
    Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/15 13:01:19 (permalink)
    I followed the instructions that came in the box and followed the advice in other threads when we all first got our water blocks. I’m sure it’s nothing installation related. Way too much money involved to go at it in any other form than gently. 😁
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/15 13:46:22 (permalink)
    Do the artifacts show up immediately upon boot? If so, it’s most likely a short or something isn’t connected properly.

Following the directions perfectly can still lead to something very small being missed or a very minor adjustment needing to be made During the install. Definitely check with the stock cooler installed and see if it will work.

EVGA does not offer an install service that I know of, but you may be able to find someone local that can help you and also double check the card if it works with the stock cooler.

Have you used EKWB or EVGA waterblocks in the past?
    Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/15 17:45:29 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Do the artifacts show up immediately upon boot? If so, it’s most likely a short or something isn’t connected properly.

Following the directions perfectly can still lead to something very small being missed or a very minor adjustment needing to be made During the install. Definitely check with the stock cooler installed and see if it will work.

EVGA does not offer an install service that I know of, but you may be able to find someone local that can help you and also double check the card if it works with the stock cooler.

The card worked just wonderfully before the installation of the water block. When it comes to my experience with water cooling I am by no means an expert but have successfully installed 6 EKWB blocks on to various cards in the last few years including the two Founders Edition 1080 Ti cards that are still in my functioning system.

I won’t get a chance to pull everything apart for at least a few days but I will try reseating the block to see if that helps. If not, I will reinstall the AIO and see what happens. Has EVGA updated the installation instructions somewhere to include the various tips and tricks found here on the forums? I know I followed the original instructions to the letter but I will certainly try it again.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/15 17:51:23 (permalink)
    Crimsonghost99
    the_Scarlet_one

The card worked just wonderfully before the installation of the water block. When it comes to my experience with water cooling I am by no means an expert but have successfully installed 6 EKWB blocks on to various cards in the last few years including the two Founders Edition 1080 Ti cards that are still in my functioning system.

I won’t get a chance to pull everything apart for at least a few days but I will try reseating the block to see if that helps. If not, I will reinstall the AIO and see what happens. Has EVGA updated the installation instructions somewhere to include the various tips and tricks found here on the forums? I know I followed the original instructions to the letter but I will certainly try it again.

Make sure the bracket is installed dark side down with shinny side up.  Sometimes a reseat as pain as it is, I went through it all trust me earlier this year, could fix your issue.  Something about this series that is so finicky and stubborn.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/16 07:25:23 (permalink)

Crimsonghost99
    the_Scarlet_one

I wish they had more details in the instructions for these blocks as its apparent they are finicky to installation, at least to a first time installer.  My issue was just the installation.  After redoing it and following others instructions (that are not in the evga instructions) i was able to resolve my issues.  

I would give it another shot. 
    Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/19 07:05:22 (permalink)
    Update time. I spent a good part of my day yesterday tearing down my loop and removing the KPE card. Once I had it out I removed the HC block, cleaned off the Kingpin paste I was using and reinstalled the block using the paste that came with the HC block. Got everything reassembled and commenced testing with all settings at stock. This includes the Asus motherboard and the KPE card/Precision X1. And everything works great. Until I try to launch any kind of 3D application. No matter what game I try, or 3D Mark bench I try to run, I get a complete freeze with artifacts. I snapped a few pics of my monitor and the onboard OLED during the freeze, and the artifacts during the reboot after the freeze.

So I guess my next troubleshooting step will be to tear apart the loop again, reinstall the AIO cooler, and see if that helps. At this point I cannot see that doing much to help the situation so an RMA is pretty much inevitable. My question now is if I can get EVGA support to reference this thread to verify all the troubleshooting I have done and the results? I would really love to get some feedback from someone from the EVGA team. I will post more once I have the AIO back on. Thanks all.

Edit- Forgot to mention a complete driver uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode followed by a clean install of the latest Nvidia driver.
    post edited by Crimsonghost99 - 2019/08/19 07:11:43

Attached Image(s)

6dracing
    FTW Member
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/19 15:53:30 (permalink)
    Does anyone know how much space should be between the water block and the GPU die?  I ask because on mine it looks to have a gap the width of a quarter.  This may be normal but i dont know.  I had the same issues as the OP before re-installing my waterblock.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/19 16:01:20 (permalink)
    Should be no gap between the waterblock and the die when it's tightened down, just laying on the PCB without any screws or tightening might be a slight gap because the thermal pads are not yet compressed but the gap should then disappear when tightened down. Make sure you have the GPU bracket on correct with the black side touching the PCB. Also there is 1 or 2 of the standoffs that actually fit inside the PCB screw hole, if it does not go in correct it will leave a gap even when tightened.
    post edited by dwexpress - 2019/08/19 16:03:44

Crimsonghost99
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/19 16:24:30 (permalink)
    Well, final update on this one. I reinstalled the original AIO and commenced with testing. However, I did not get far. System would not post and kept giving me a post code of 97 Load VGA BIOS. All the LED’s on the card turned on as they should but the OLED never did anything. Not even a flicker of life. I tried the obligatory clearing of the CMOS as well as a BIOS flashback but to no avail. Finally broke down and called EVGA. RMA process initiated.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: KPE 2080 ti Possible Artifacting, Need Advice 2019/08/19 16:29:24 (permalink)
    Did you make sure the oled plug in lined up when reinstalling the original aio? It can bend easily and not make the oled work. It has to be perfectly lined up when putting on the shroud or pins will bend and possibly short.
    post edited by dwexpress - 2019/08/19 16:36:13

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile