EVGA

I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s..

Author
Urieldagda
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/24 19:37:53 (permalink)
Specifically a lot of people using Zotec and many other brands having to underclock their 3080s to avoid things like black screen issues and constant crash to desktop in games.  Has anybody that's managed to get any of the EVGA 3080s run into any issues like that, or did EVGA manage to avoid that problem?

Seem to see a lot of complaints elsewhere but not here.

23 Replies Related Threads

da3wilson
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 19:41:50 (permalink)
    Very good question. Wonder if it related to the specific brands or just a 3080 thing.
    Urieldagda
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 20:13:08 (permalink)
    da3wilson
    Very good question. Wonder if it related to the specific brands or just a 3080 thing.

I'm not sure, but it seemed like a lot of people with a ton of different brands were complaining about it, but nobody with an EVGA card that I could see so far.  The consensus seems to be pointing at nvidia driver issue, but nobody really knows. But underclocking by 50Mhz seems to solve it.
    MasterGohan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 21:48:01 (permalink)
    da3wilson

I've a few friends that managed to snag custom 3080's (*non EVGA*).  Can't speak from personal experience with the 3000 series since I've not actually succeeded (despite much effort!) in buying them, yet this sounds pretty similar to problems I had with the first Metro game back in the day.  {where you just have that one-game that's a problem}

In any case, their cards run rock-solid (no crashes yet) at the NVidia recommended clock speeds, and fine without changes in every game they own {except Crysis -- I know, the meme is strong}..  I think in most cases this is the typical lack of sufficient testing of factory OC's {not a driver or hardware problem}, and the cards just being so close to their limits out of the box {minimal to no OC headroom}.

Passing a few benchmark tests is one thing, yet full stability is another far as the sporadic CTD's.  -- probably just need a tiny voltage bump or such.
    -- New Crysis seems very good at crashing said friends' cards at their factory overclock, they don't even last a minute ingame, whereas it runs completely stable at NVidia's stock clocks.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 21:57:15 (permalink)
    - There were issues with the first few batches of 2080 Ti's.

- Not all cards are as good as the FE cards and who knows what the AIB's are sending reviewers, they could be cherry picked and their production cards are a bit soft in any number of ways.

- Lotta noobs out there with poorly setup and possibly new systems, with undergunned supporting parts (questionable psu, bad case airflow, etc) that can't just plug in a 300W+ card and run trouble free.  They aren't using them on proven, open air test bench setups and monitoring the card.

- There's a ton of benches out there on 3DMark that are on the bottom end of reviewer's results or even lower, look for yourself.

- Drivers, bios and chip quality are still getting refined.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/09/24 22:03:08
    Aurummorituri
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 22:15:32 (permalink)
    The card is very power limited. If they got a lousy bin with a factory overclock that could cause problems.
    Cerulean_Shaman
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 22:44:25 (permalink)
    Urieldagda
    da3wilson

I'm not sure, but it seemed like a lot of people with a ton of different brands were complaining about it, but nobody with an EVGA card that I could see so far.  The consensus seems to be pointing at nvidia driver issue, but nobody really knows. But underclocking by 50Mhz seems to solve it.

Interesting. The consensus I've seen is that no one knows what's really causing, and the best guesses are actually hardware faults with how the cards are designed.

The reason for this is that the issue persists even on 1200 watt power supplies, so it can't be a power issue, and these are non-oc at stock out of box speeds. It seems to happen most consistently when cards boost THEMSELVES above 2000mhz, and slight underclocking seems to fix the issue - this is why people doubted it was a driver issue.

Now, a new driver (beta? I don't know) seems to have fixed the issue, but many people simply think it's a hardware limit that the new drivers are now better at avoiding rather than a specific issue with drivers themselves.

It's interesting, at least. It all feels very rushed. Nvidia could have easily just sat back and waited for that mythical october stock that's supposed to fix all our problems, banish scalpers to the shadow realm, bring peace and love to the world, end global crisis, etc, etc, and then released in the middle of october or whatever.

Instead, they shrugged, decided giving some of the biggest retailers in the biggest demand nations like the U.S. 10 cards, threw gasoline on the tech tuber fire, and decided it'll just work out. 

Nvidia - a very old, experienced producer of tech - either has no idea what they're with supply, they have no sense of their consumers, or they are REALLY afraid of Navi and know something the rest of the world doesn't. Enough, I guess, to completely botch their launch and threaten the goodwill they obviously wanted to earn back.
    loyalty4life
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/24 23:54:58 (permalink)
    I think it’s just fine. 
    stroker425
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 08:35:54 (permalink)
    Zotac has been the internets problem child as of late. PNY might be next in line for that position though.
    HawkOculus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 456
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 08:37:33 (permalink)
    See the other threads related to the capacitors on the backside of the GPU? These clock issues seem related to the caps that are used on different boards.
    Cerulean_Shaman
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 08:50:44 (permalink)
    HawkOculus
    See the other threads related to the capacitors on the backside of the GPU? These clock issues seem related to the caps that are used on different boards.

Yeah I just saw that, though I'm not sure it's been fully confirmed or if anything can be done about it.
    gravedigger78
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 964
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 09:08:55 (permalink)
    Cerulean_Shaman
    Urieldagda
    da3wilson

Interesting. The consensus I've seen is that no one knows what's really causing, and the best guesses are actually hardware faults with how the cards are designed.

The reason for this is that the issue persists even on 1200 watt power supplies, so it can't be a power issue, and these are non-oc at stock out of box speeds. It seems to happen most consistently when cards boost THEMSELVES above 2000mhz, and slight underclocking seems to fix the issue - this is why people doubted it was a driver issue.

Now, a new driver (beta? I don't know) seems to have fixed the issue, but many people simply think it's a hardware limit that the new drivers are now better at avoiding rather than a specific issue with drivers themselves.

It's interesting, at least. It all feels very rushed. Nvidia could have easily just sat back and waited for that mythical october stock that's supposed to fix all our problems, banish scalpers to the shadow realm, bring peace and love to the world, end global crisis, etc, etc, and then released in the middle of october or whatever.

Instead, they shrugged, decided giving some of the biggest retailers in the biggest demand nations like the U.S. 10 cards, threw gasoline on the tech tuber fire, and decided it'll just work out. 

Nvidia - a very old, experienced producer of tech - either has no idea what they're with supply, they have no sense of their consumers, or they are REALLY afraid of Navi and know something the rest of the world doesn't. Enough, I guess, to completely botch their launch and threaten the goodwill they obviously wanted to earn back.

Botch their launch? I agree everything would have been smoother if they just waited to build a stockpile and release later. Not only are they selling every single one, they are the talk of the town. They released a 3090 to compete with themselves to make their own 3080 look like a bargain. 
    Cerulean_Shaman
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 09:17:21 (permalink)
    gravedigger78
    Cerulean_Shaman
    Urieldagda
    da3wilson

Botch their launch? I agree everything would have been smoother if they just waited to build a stockpile and release later. Not only are they selling every single one, they are the talk of the town. They released a 3090 to compete with themselves to make their own 3080 look like a bargain. 

They're being ridiculed for their 3090 and the it's not worth bragging if selling "every single one" means 10 cards a week, hah. Though definitely misdirected, the frustration people are feeling will turn to negative energy for Nvidia's brand, which is exactly why they apologized twice already instead of shrugging and deciding people are going to buy the card anyway. While your opinion of them might differ, Nvidia cares enough about tech tubers to make sure they get cards and even hooked up one of them with a $30,000 tv, and yet most of them at the most optimistic end of the spectrum agree Nvidia could have done a lot better.

It's obviously subjective, but by and large most people, from journalists to tech tubers and consumers, call this a botched launch. And it's annoying when people are quick to point out this isn't a paper launch, though most people are using it figuratively right now anyway. Giving one of the biggest computer vendors in the U.S. 10 cards while the largest online vendor still has people wondering if they ever had stock at any point yet, it's laughably not a paper launch only on... paper. That's exactly why they use ambiguous terms like "but we had stock" or "it was the same stock as before" while very carefully avoiding numbers or supply estimates which is effectively useless and tells us nothing.
    We definitely disagree here, though the real kicker is going to be when next-gen rolls around and we get to see if Nvidia learned anything.
    post edited by Cerulean_Shaman - 2020/09/25 09:21:11
    guitarwar241
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 17:14:58 (permalink)
    Seems like only the brands that cheaped out on their GPU arrays are having the issues. 
    CandiceJoy
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 17:16:16 (permalink)
    The 3080 FTW3 has 6 POSCaps, which is what they are saying causes the issue........
    chosn1
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 20:08:42 (permalink)
    loyalty4life
    I think it’s just fine. 

I would stick with a brand you trust like EVGA.  Those that are buying the Zotacs are taking a big chance imho

Poss273
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/25 23:09:44 (permalink)
    CandiceJoy
    The 3080 FTW3 has 6 POSCaps, which is what they are saying causes the issue........

I thought it was the other way around and it specifically didn't have the bad capacitors. Didn't Jacob Freeman tweet about this?
    Mandalorian1977
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 02:26:44 (permalink)
    I don't even have Zotac and PNY in my saved searches. Maybe not fair, but i'm just not too sure about them. Mostly looking for EVGA or ASUS. 
    adaemus
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 02:41:31 (permalink)
    Looks like the EVGA cards are all in the clear.
    SpriteCup1
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 02:43:18 (permalink)
    CandiceJoy

I don't think that's correct, with all due respect.

In the dark, I can feel You in my sleep.. In Your arms I feel You breathe in to me. Forever hold this heart that I will give to You, Forever I will live for You!
    azguz
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 02:49:03 (permalink)
    This seem to be a real issue:
    EVGA: How are you handelng this for you´re hydr coppers and hybrid coolings? Seems kinda worthless investing in these if they will hade the same problem 
    ilukeberry
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 256
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 02:56:35 (permalink)
    It's safer to buy FE edition or ASUS which has right components on PCB.

Intel i9 13900KS | EVGA Z790 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 4x16GB 6600MHz | NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti FE | Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB PHANTEKS Glacier One 360 T30 Gen2 AIO | Seasonic PRIME TX-850 | PHANTEKS Enthoo Evolv X
    Cerulean_Shaman
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 02:59:29 (permalink)
    Poss273
    CandiceJoy

I thought it was the other way around and it specifically didn't have the bad capacitors. Didn't Jacob Freeman tweet about this?

This is why they delayed the cards. They updated the pictures. It now uses the 4 + 2 method, though supposedly the problem is now considered widespread and that many people are having this issue, even those who were supposedly "safe."

It's being assumed that it might be more than just the capacitors, but I guess time will tell.
    jmehalik
    Re: I've been reading of issues with AIB 3080s.. 2020/09/26 07:49:06 (permalink)
    Jacob came out with a statement addressing this, shouldnt be an issue going forward for EVGA cards.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile