EVGA

It's been almost 2 years...

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
brian91292
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2021/08/31 01:46:23 (permalink)
DerpMagoo
I got three 30 series cards this year already, and a fourth possibly in the next month. I think you need to read the forums more and stay up to date regarding launch days and how to snipe cards on them. It's extremely competitive, so people getting cards have to try harder.

And here is the underlying problem- most people can't even get one card and somehow people like you have managed to get 3 cards. The queue system should be limited based on time, not sku. There is absolutely no reason someone should be able to buy 3 gpus before someone else is even able to buy one.
post edited by brian91292 - 2021/08/31 01:52:06
McAztec
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2021/08/31 02:14:29 (permalink)
brian91292
DerpMagoo
I got three 30 series cards this year already, and a fourth possibly in the next month. I think you need to read the forums more and stay up to date regarding launch days and how to snipe cards on them. It's extremely competitive, so people getting cards have to try harder.

And here is the underlying problem- most people can't even get one card and somehow people like you have managed to get 3 cards. The queue system should be limited based on time, not sku. There is absolutely no reason someone should be able to buy 3 gpus before someone else is even able to buy one.

I think this is a double edged sword. On one hand it's true that it does seem unfair and it does rub the wrong way that someone is able to be in line three times at the same time, however there's also a point to be made that it's actually three separate queues, and he did take the effort to wake up earlier than the chickens so that he can be among the first to sign up, so idk what to say about this either. Perhaps a system could be put in place so that once you grab one card, you can only get another next month or so, you'll just get skipped for exactly 30 days. Some people have been waiting for 8 months so 1 month doesn't seem unreasonable, and you still get your cards. Another thing that is practiced in such situations is marking up every subsequent card extra, first card at MSRP, second card +10%, third +20% and so on, to discourage multiple purchases, of course this would be based on multiple factors to authenticate and validate (account, email, name in queue, shipping and billing details, etc). All in all this is a tough one, because whatever you do, someone gets the short end of the stick, and unfair is subjective to many. At least EVGA has a queue though, with all that can be said against it, that only some cards go to the queue and many make it to retailers that scalp them, that some people purchase multiple, that the EU queue moves like a snail on ice, it's still better than nothing, which is exactly what other brands have put in place imo.
I have no doubt that most people are in multiple queues at the same time, but that's to increase one's odds, which is perfectly reasonable, rather than get multiple cards as many have proven by cancelling extra positions when getting a card, which I intend to do as well. But then I can't exactly lecture anyone on it from down here in the lower end of the queue, firstly since it's in my interest for the queue to move as fast as possible, and by all accounts if some kind of poetic fairness were to be applied, it would be those with a pre-1xxx series card that would get priority, by all means my trusty 1080 is still going and will for a while if need be, even in 1440p, as much as I want a 3080...
brian91292
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2021/08/31 02:46:40 (permalink)
I guess my biggest mistake was assuming that hydro copper cards wouldn't be in as high of demand and therefore I'd be able to snag one quicker- oh how wrong I was. Apparently it just means that evga is never going to produce any, and I'll just be stuck waiting indefinitely until I go spend weeks or months of my life trying to grab an air cooled 3080 from micro center.

A month cool down? Nah, with the way the market is it should be limited to one gpu per account every 6 months until the supply issue is resolved. At least then botters would have to make new accounts for every new queue instead of being able to constantly reuse them to snag one of every card.

Not like evga cares though, they are still making more money than ever before. I really wish there was just one global queue for all 3080 skus, and when it comes time you could just choose whether you want hc, hybrid, etc. but no, that'd be too convenient for actual non-bot customers!

Idk why I'm bothering to write this, guess I'm just salty that I'll prob never get a 3080 hydro copper and I'm probably gonna have to buy an air cooled one and waterblock it (super annoying for rmas since you have to remove the waterblock and reassemble with the original cooler).
post edited by brian91292 - 2021/08/31 02:53:04
McAztec
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2021/08/31 03:46:17 (permalink)
brian91292
I guess my biggest mistake was assuming that hydro copper cards wouldn't be in as high of demand and therefore I'd be able to snag one quicker- oh how wrong I was. Apparently it just means that evga is never going to produce any, and I'll just be stuck waiting indefinitely until I go spend weeks or months of my life trying to grab an air cooled 3080 from micro center.

A month cool down? Nah, with the way the market is it should be limited to one gpu per account every 6 months until the supply issue is resolved. At least then botters would have to make new accounts for every new queue instead of being able to constantly reuse them to snag one of every card.

Not like evga cares though, they are still making more money than ever before. I really wish there was just one global queue for all 3080 skus, and when it comes time you could just choose whether you want hc, hybrid, etc. but no, that'd be too convenient for actual non-bot customers!

Idk why I'm bothering to write this, guess I'm just salty that I'll prob never get a 3080 hydro copper and I'm probably gonna have to buy an air cooled one and waterblock it (super annoying for rmas since you have to remove the waterblock and reassemble with the original cooler).

I understand your frustration, believe me. The problem with a global queue is that they don't have everything in stock at the same time, so how could they give you the choice to pick? They'd have to wait until they have at least one of each, and that would slow it all down. It makes more sense to have a queue per product, and perhaps cancel all other queue positions when a card is received, and for those that want something better there is the step-up program iirc, idk the details of it, but I heard you can go from the 3070 to the Ti or the 3080, right? I don't even have microcenter, I'm in the EU xD All of the physical stores in this area have online stores and mostly do business there, rarely you will see stock in a physical store, and even so, it will most likely be all for online orders, they actually prefer online because it's easier to handle as logistics go, for some reason, and they hardly care if bots or whatever get them. You know how money from a bot differs from money from an actual customer on your bank statement or bottom line? It doesn't, it looks the same. There is stock, don't get me wrong, but the prices are out of whack. 2 weeks ago I saw a 3080 for 1.1k euro, still terrible, and it was a fairly 'cheap' and flimsy model, but it was better than before, today nothing under 1.3k where I live (all prices include VAT, fyi). The big retail stores are out of the question anyways, some of them charge a lot more due to their almost-a-monopoly position, so the few smaller stores that do bring GPUs have a smaller supply, although it's cheaper (again, not by a lot, still 1.3k for a 'cheap' 3080). At these prices I considered if it isn't worth it to get the 3080 Ti or even the 3090 (although it's overkill for my PC) just because they might be less scalped, at least I'd overpay less I thought, but lo and behold, nothing under 2k for those, so it beats me...  Perhaps the launch of the Super series might be a thing. Either by providing new SKUs that are actually worth the price tag (not like the Ti-s imo), or by clearing up the old queues if people drop them in favor of the Super SKUs. Guess we'll wait and see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
leonarddavg
  • Total Posts : 2
Flagged as Spam (2)
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2022/06/30 23:14:50 (permalink)
this is getting ridiculous.... 
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2022/07/01 04:48:25 (permalink)
leonarddavg
this is getting ridiculous.... 

There has been stock in the store for a few months now.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: It's been almost 2 years... 2022/07/07 21:38:24 (permalink)
My Motto.  If I can't control it, I don't worry about it.  Been stress free for so many years with this Motto.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile