Author
mobhill
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 189
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/26 00:48:19 (permalink)
https://www.ebay.com/i/313273389232?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I'm not sure what they would get out of it, but it says they have at least 10? Seems kind of sketchy, new seller...

But what would they get out of it? Ebay/Paypal have money back guarantee?

18 Replies Related Threads

mobhill
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 00:51:46 (permalink)
    Says it comes from Georgia, but when you click on seller it says they are based in Poland. Again, not sure what they would get out of it though if it is a scam.
    macktkau
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 00:52:55 (permalink)
    You have no way of knowing. It might just be some guy in poland who got a hand on a card and wants to scalp it for a profit.
    It might be a scammer who will send you nothing.

Ebay are notorious for bad customer service. He might send you an empty box and then take the money out of paypal, forcing you to chase up paypal/ebay for your money back, which they are suck at.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2020/10/26 04:36:11
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 01:03:26 (permalink)
    mobhill

I'm not sure what they would get out of it, but it says they have at least 10? Seems kind of sketchy, new seller...

A few red flags.  

- Has 0 rating
    - From poland but says the item is being sold out the state of Georgia
    - 10+ quantity.  Either he stole a truck that was on the way to drop off those 10+ or so GPUs to a retail store or he's scamming people.  

Either way, I wouldn't even try if you payed me to do it.

I wish Ebay pulled their heads out and updated their much needed site.  Clearly they make a boat load of money and I feel that's all they care about instead of revamping and making things more secure for both parties involved.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    mobhill
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 01:12:39 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    mobhill

A few red flags.  

- Has 0 rating
    - From poland but says the item is being sold out the state of Georgia
    - 10+ quantity.  Either he stole a truck that was on the way to drop off those 10+ or so GPUs to a retail store or he's scamming people.  

Either way, I wouldn't even try if you payed me to do it.

I wish Ebay pulled their heads out and updated their much needed site.  Clearly they make a boat load of money and I feel that's all they care about instead of revamping and making things more secure for both parties involved.

Yeah, you are right. I am not going to pull the trigger on something that shady, I want a good warranty.
    antarious
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 03:39:03 (permalink)
    I know you decided not to pull the trigger but when I click the link...  I see the cards listed at $620 and "new".  While the MSRP on the EVGA website for a XC3 Ultra is like 769.99.  A while back I did a search on RTX 3080 and looked at the "sold" listings which ranged from around $1000 to $1500 depending... so seems very unlikely he's selling cards at a loss that others are scalping well above msrp.

As to the seller being in Poland and the item listed in Georgia.  That part doesn't really mean much to me because if you sell a lot of electronics on Ebay...  You will be shipping quite often to a US Address (I only ship to North America for example) and the Seller is in another Country.  Yes sometimes they are over here... but usually they are using a re-shipper or something similar.

I've only fought with Ebay once and I started selling there in 1998 and still occasionally sell.  I sold a Z390 Godlike and the guy claimed it didn't work.  Sent it back with socket pins bent and one missing which took out a ram bank but it still "worked".  It was frustrating to say the least and I had to sign an affidavit as well.  But... you have to remember that is on the "seller" side of it.  I also believe they refunded him and I got to keep my payment so in other words Ebay actually paid for the motherboard.

As a buyer all he had to do was damage the board and then claim it didn't work.  So I'm not really sure what this guy would have to gain either.  If you say "hey I got a rock in a box..." he has to actually actively respond/defend and quite honestly there is no "seller protection" on Ebay no matter what they claim.  You could maybe actually get a card for that price from him.. and if you claim it was a rock in a box... you'll get a refund.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102263
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 03:40:51 (permalink)
    That ebay link is now dead

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

antarious
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 03:46:11 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    That ebay link is now dead

LOL... yes it is.  Oddly enough it was working when I posted my other reply not overly long ago.
    aberdie
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 402
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 04:05:19 (permalink)
    Probably the same one I was looking at, but it said all 10 were sold when I last rechecked it yesterday.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 04:36:26 (permalink)
    With eBay if you feel something might be a scam it's probably a scam and move on to something that seems more trustworthy even if it ends up costing you a bit more money. Paying a few dollars more is better then trying to deal with getting a refund after you get sent a box with a brick inside of it.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

capt3n
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 05:33:18 (permalink)
    guaranteed scam... and listings like that have been popping up on ebay for weeks now. And quit watching ebay anyway, 3070 coming out in just days now and AMD revealing in 2.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 07:38:11 (permalink)
    capt3n
    guaranteed scam... and listings like that have been popping up on ebay for weeks now. And quit watching ebay anyway, 3070 coming out in just days now and AMD revealing in 2.

You won't be able to get a 3070 until some time in late 2022.
    capt3n
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 08:05:05 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    capt3n

The availability of the 3070 remains to be seen... True the phrase "ramping up" and "next week" has amounted to hardly anything from spectator reports.. so far, and doesn't inspire confidence. Whether AMD will actually have a GPU equal to the 30 series, it's availability/paper launch, and etc also remains to be seen. But it's close. And the scalper situation is already ramping down. Less cards are selling on Ebay while the prices are also dropping. Less listings are going up, either because they aren't getting any or because they aren't selling or the margins are less inspiring. It's not uncommon now to see a 3080 get bid up to 1300-1500 and then re-listed because no one actually bought it. 

I do imagine scalping will see a resurge with the advent of the 3070 and the AMD card, but again we'll just have to see and it's close. For now sweating Ebay is a little desperate and silly. Especially for a used 2-year old card that only seems to sell, right now, at its lowest, for 800. Waiting until January really isn't that bad, just quit giving a ****. Don't be a sucker out of desperation. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 12:32:55 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    capt3n

Oh Karen........I mean Kevin 

capt3n
    kevinc313
    capt3n

The availability of the 3070 remains to be seen... True the phrase "ramping up" and "next week" has amounted to hardly anything from spectator reports.. so far, and doesn't inspire confidence. Whether AMD will actually have a GPU equal to the 30 series, it's availability/paper launch, and etc also remains to be seen. But it's close. And the scalper situation is already ramping down. Less cards are selling on Ebay while the prices are also dropping. Less listings are going up, either because they aren't getting any or because they aren't selling or the margins are less inspiring. It's not uncommon now to see a 3080 get bid up to 1300-1500 and then re-listed because no one actually bought it. 

I do imagine scalping will see a resurge with the advent of the 3070 and the AMD card, but again we'll just have to see and it's close. For now sweating Ebay is a little desperate and silly. Especially for a used 2-year old card that only seems to sell, right now, at its lowest, for 800. Waiting until January really isn't that bad, just quit giving a ****. Don't be a sucker out of desperation. 

Some of those if not most were either buyouts or winning bids by bots/trolls.  It was going on since launch.  You would see under the sold search the same sellers attempted to sell their scalped GPUs only for them to attempt to resell them again.  I think I remember seeing one seller either sold 5 (Highly doubt it) or attempted 5 times until they gave up. lol  

I wonder if they're still at it.  It was a sight to see let me tell ya.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    mobhill
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 13:18:26 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    kevinc313
    capt3n

capt3n
    kevinc313
    capt3n

Some of those if not most were either buyouts or winning bids by bots/trolls.  It was going on since launch.  You would see under the sold search the same sellers attempted to sell their scalped GPUs only for them to attempt to resell them again.  I think I remember seeing one seller either sold 5 (Highly doubt it) or attempted 5 times until they gave up. lol  

I admit, when I saw the number of people who openly said they were troll-bidding the cards to tens of thousands of dollars, it didn't bother me at all. I expect some have sold and made a tidy profit, but I would imagine there are also several people with cards gathering dust, and time running out to flip a big profit on them. I'm hoping the rumors of a much bigger November supply are true and we'll see a lot of scalpers lose money on their shennanigans.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 19:14:03 (permalink)
    mobhill
    GTXJackBauer
    kevinc313
    capt3n

capt3n
    kevinc313
    capt3n

I admit, when I saw the number of people who openly said they were troll-bidding the cards to tens of thousands of dollars, it didn't bother me at all. I expect some have sold and made a tidy profit, but I would imagine there are also several people with cards gathering dust, and time running out to flip a big profit on them. I'm hoping the rumors of a much bigger November supply are true and we'll see a lot of scalpers lose money on their shennanigans.

It always happens like this in the first few months from launch and eventually settles out in the 3-6 month period.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    mchang1984
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 19:33:58 (permalink)
    Don't trust eBay.

#1 - It makes the situation worse with Scalpers and encourages them
    #2 - It is most likely a scam and you won't get your money back
    #3 - It is definitely not worth paying over MSRP
    #4 - The value of Graphics Cards goes down faster than cars over the years, you lose more in the long run buying off ebay than you would buying at MSRP from EVGA
    #5 - No need at all since you can Auto Notify and buy the card when it is in stock directly from EVGA
    Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 22:28:54 (permalink)
    When it comes to things like this, you have to think about it this way:

A: If it is a scam, do you really want to be out of that money until EBay/Paypal resolve it & refund you?
    B: 0 seller rating, foreign country location, but "selling from inside the US" is a scammer 99% of the time

I purposefully sell my stuff only to the continental US because of scammers, once packages get outside of the US, if they "disappear" you have to go through insurances claims to recover anything, it's just not worth the hassle, and takes longer than if it's lost in the states.
    Not saying foreign sellers/buyers are less reliable, but anytime things are going through customs it gets sketchy fast, let alone how much less regulated shipping companies are in some countries than others.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

lantern48
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Is this an Ebay scam...? 2020/10/26 22:52:26 (permalink)
    macktkau

Ebay are notorious for bad customer service. He might send you an empty box and then take the money out of paypal, forcing you to chase up paypal/ebay for your money back, which they are suck at.

You're spreading a bunch of malarkey.
    An expensive item sold on Ebay from a new seller means they get absolutely nothing (money is locked), until the buyer receives the item and leaves positive feedback. 
    And just so you know, Ebay is 100% on the side of the buyer. It is infinitely easier to scam being a buyer than it is a seller. 
    post edited by lantern48 - 2020/10/26 22:55:25

https://www.evga.com/member/elite/?referralid=NHWA7T4I7TVUKUABB51U

Notify time stamp: 9/17/2020 6:49:46 AM PT

-3080 FTW3 Ultra
    -32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz 
    -Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 
    -WD Gold 4TB Enterprise
    -Noctua NH-D15
    -Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000w Platinum
    -Asus Maximus XII Hero 
    -Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition

Jump to: