EVGA

Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked?

Author
DataNull
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/22 11:59:47 (permalink)
Hello, I was wondering if I overclocked my 1070 sc acx 3.0 Black Edition that it would lower my lifespan really fast, I look to upgrade my gpu in 3-4 years and was worried that If overclocked it would only last like 2 years or less. Also I was wondering if I had to set my gpu to 100% fan speed 24/7 if its overclocked, and if someone can give me a good fan cycle to make sure it doesn't overheat on idle and in games like whats a good fan speed for idle and gaming? And what should I get my max temp before the overclock cancels off? And whats the max temp my gpu should go to, and does overclocking a gpu raise your processor heat? Sorry, I have never overclocked and am worried.

10 Replies Related Threads

Danteazazel
    • Total Posts : 80
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 12:05:40 (permalink)
    Hello Data again, the lifespan does decrease your correct. however how long it will last is like a piece of string, i had an old LGA 1156 socket cpu overclocked to 3.65mhz for 9 years and a radeon R7 200 series overclocked for the same time and they didn't die on me and still work. I only ever run my fans at 100% on the 1070 Ti's when they are overclocked via the EVGA precision XOC software in the video you watched, other than that they are set to default. you can set a the fan curve yourself on default i normally start it at 40 degrees and have it arched upwards. but the fans only kick in when the GPU gets hot. Overclocking a GPU will raise it but not by much, it depends on how much stress the CPU is under, how overclocked it is and what type of cooler you've got and what titles your running. 
    DataNull
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 12:09:52 (permalink)
    So can I set my fans on auto while overclocked in game? Or will it overheat and is it dangerous to have your fans at 100%
    DataNull
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 12:11:27 (permalink)
    Im actually overclocking because I sometimes go under 144fps to 135 or something and i'd like it to stay up there at 144 without it dropping a lot
    Danteazazel
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 12:38:38 (permalink)
    yeah you can leave them at auto and there ramp up when the temperature rises
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 12:48:22 (permalink)
    DataNull
    Hello, I was wondering if I overclocked my 1070 sc acx 3.0 Black Edition that it would lower my lifespan really fast, I look to upgrade my gpu in 3-4 years and was worried that If overclocked it would only last like 2 years or less. Also I was wondering if I had to set my gpu to 100% fan speed 24/7 if its overclocked, and if someone can give me a good fan cycle to make sure it doesn't overheat on idle and in games like whats a good fan speed for idle and gaming? And what should I get my max temp before the overclock cancels off? And whats the max temp my gpu should go to, and does overclocking a gpu raise your processor heat? Sorry, I have never overclocked and am worried.

No. The software tools they provide and the GPU's own protection mechanisms. I suppose you could lock the fan speed  too low and cause the GPU to thermal throttle around 90C or so. But that wouldn't damage the GPU. You'd just have really bad FPS, until you rebooted or reset the drivers.
    The GPU is designed by default to run around 80C 24/7 for the expected lifetime.  We can't GIVE you fan cycles as that is unique to your own system. Here's an idea, take a bit of time yourself to experiment and learn what it does on your own. It's just about impossible to do any permanent damage and that should be most of the FUN in getting something new.
    For your CPU, yes a GPU that is more powerful will put more load on your CPU so, you may see some marginal increase in your CPU temps.
    In a nutshell, except for setting a fan speed too low, anything ~80C or below is fine. Lastly, save yourself time and grief and do NOT have your settings apply at BOOT when you're experimenting with overclocking.
    Getting stuck in a loop with an unstable overclock, is a  pain. This doesn't mean you can't apply an overclock at boot. It just means when you're testing for stability, remember to disable applying the settings a boot until you're sure it is boot stable.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2018/09/22 12:50:26

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

DavidO
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 13:32:18 (permalink)
    Danteazazel
    Hello Data again, the lifespan does decrease your correct. however how long it will last is like a piece of string, i had an old LGA 1156 socket cpu overclocked to 3.65mhz for 9 years and a radeon R7 200 series overclocked for the same time and they didn't die on me and still work. I only ever run my fans at 100% on the 1070 Ti's when they are overclocked via the EVGA precision XOC software in the video you watched, other than that they are set to default. you can set a the fan curve yourself on default i normally start it at 40 degrees and have it arched upwards. but the fans only kick in when the GPU gets hot. Overclocking a GPU will raise it but not by much, it depends on how much stress the CPU is under, how overclocked it is and what type of cooler you've got and what titles your running. 

This is correct in the sense that more heat is added to that product, when it comes to overclock's depending on the cooling method you have for that product that can help with preserving that life of that product GPU or CPU wise.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 13:59:42 (permalink)
    It's pretty safe to overclock as long as you read up and have realistic goals and plan to slowly move up the overclock. Don't just read online someone hit an overclock and try to use the same settings since it probably will not work. Probably the first place to start is making sure you have good cable management in the case since that is something easy to overlook but after you learn it becomes pretty easy while improving airflow to keep the overclock cool and happy. It's also great to read up on overclocking before attempting.

One of the other things to consider is the goal of the overclock. It can be fun to see what you can overclock to and see the benchmark improvement but it's also important to that in games you often don't really notice the overclock that much. It's an improvement and doesn't really cost anything but keep in mind that overclocking a 1070 will not make it suddenly preform like a 1080 and it's unlikely you will be turning on a feature in the setting you didn't have on before.  Keep in mind a 10% overclock increase only takes you from 120FPS to 132FPS in a game.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 16:23:07 (permalink)
    There are two things that will damage an IC (integrated circuit), Temp and too much voltage.

With Nvidia Pascal and Turing GPU's max voltage is locked so using max voltage on them is within Nvidia's safe zone (this is why Nvidia locked the max voltage for them, so we could not over volt them past safe levels).

This leaves temp left to deal with. Nvidia Pascal and Turing have protections built in to limit max safe temp. The GPU will throttle down in clock speed to maintain safe max allowable temp.

You should be OK overclocking the GPU. It will not appreciably shorten the GPU's life.

As long as you do not do some kind of hard mod to the card or flash to an unlocked BIOS on it (both of which would void the warranty anyway).

Keeping the graphics card as cool as possible is always the best bet. Turning up the fan speeds (air cooled) or putting the card on water cooling (best) and making sure you have proper case air flow will ensure you keep the temps withing max spec and also help to keep the card from throttling and stay at a consistent boost speed.

Nvidia GPU's are not like unlocked "K" model Intel CPU's where you can push voltage past safe levels. They are locked at max safe voltage from Nvidia and have temp protection built in to slow the card down in speed if max safe temp is reached.

Have fun overclocking :)

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    DataNull
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 17:11:45 (permalink)
    If 1750 is the "boost clock" then is the boost clock just an overclock? or can you go over the boost clock
    jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Is overclocking dangerous? How long will my gpu last if overclocked? 2018/09/22 17:53:48 (permalink)
    Yes and yes.

Nvidia's Boost 3.0 will automatically push the clock to what it feels is the max clock the card can do and remain stable within the power\temp\voltage parameters of the GPU. You will also see that Boost 3.0 will most likely boost the clock higher than 1750.

It does this on its' own and is designed into the GPU.

You can push the clock farther manually but you will still be limited by the power\temp\voltage parameters of your GPU\graphics card.

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    Jump to: