EVGA

Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one?

Author
buqian
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/16 23:00:38 (permalink)
I have just received my rtx 2080 ti xc ultra today from bhphotovideo. I tried a whole day to install it but nothing in the system can ever recognize that a nvidia gpu is intalled.

The pc is a new build and no graphics was installed previously. I checked the device manager and all it shows is an unknown `PCI device`. I tried following the instructions from google to uninstall the integrated intel graphics card driver, uninstalled the `PCI device` and restart for multiple times but every time after the system rebooted, it's still `PCI device`. When I tried to install the nvidia driver, it just shows something like `A Nvidia GPU is required to install`. I tried to reboot to safe mode and use DDU to clean uninstall the intel driver, but in the logs of the DDU window, there are only logs of intel gpu. I even tried to install linux and still the nvidia driver cannot find the gpu.

After the pc starts up, the fan of the gpu will start spinning, but no leds are on, I am not sure if that is the standard behavior. 

The windows version is windows 10, 1809, OS build 17763.107. 

Thanks.

27 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/16 23:03:02 (permalink)
    Did you install the newest Nvidia drivers for it?  Also use the newest version of PX1.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/16 23:04:37 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Did you install the newest for it?  Also use the newest version of .

All I am trying to do is to install the dirvers. The nvidia driver always told me that it requires a nvidia gpu to be installed. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/16 23:07:30 (permalink)
    buqian
    GTXJackBauer

All I am trying to do is to install the dirvers. The nvidia driver always told me that it requires a nvidia gpu to be installed. 

A few things you can do.

1. Check to see if the GPU is installed properly.

2. Make sure the power connected to the GPU are from two separate PCIe power cables coming from the PSU and both ends are connected properly.

3. Check and see if any LEDs or fans are operating on the GPU at any time.

Also, give is a listing of your complete computer build so we can see what you're working with.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    spye435
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/16 23:11:10 (permalink)
    I would try a boot without GPU installed, run DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/fi...staller-download.html) then power off, install GPU and boot, see what happens. OS should automatically install latest drivers, if not try manually installing latest drivers.

NZXT S340
    I7 8086K @5.0 GHz
    Kraken X62 AIO
    16 Gb Corsair DDR4 3000 
    256 Gb Samsung SM961 M.2 SSD, 512 Gb 850 Evo SSD WD Blue 2TB
    Asus Maximus X Hero MOBO
    EVGA Supernova P2 850W PSU
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    ACER Predator XB321HK 

buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/16 23:15:58 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    buqian
    GTXJackBauer

A few things you can do.

1. Check to see if the GPU is installed properly.

2. Make sure the power connected to the GPU are from two separate PCIe power cables coming from the PSU and both ends are connected properly.

3. Check and see if any LEDs or fans are operating on the GPU at any time.

Also, give is a listing of your complete computer build so we can see what you're working with.

I do have two 8pin PCEe cables connecting the psu and the GPU. I am using the evga 750W psu, and the two PCIe cables connects to VGA1 and VGA2 on the psu. I guess I only need to connect these two things to properly install a GPU(so it will operate properly): insert it into the PCIe slot and connect the 2 power cables. This is my first pc build so I am 99% sure this is the correct way, but I am not 100% sure.

Only fans are operating, not the LEDs on GPU.

Computer parts that might be relevant:

i5-9600k
    Asrock z390 Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI-ac
    G Skill Trident 8GB*2
    Samsung 970 evo
    EVGA 750W Supernova Gold

Thank you for replying.
    buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 01:26:35 (permalink)
    spye435
    I would try a boot without GPU installed, run DDU ( then power off, install GPU and boot, see what happens. OS should automatically install latest drivers, if not try manually installing latest drivers.

Thanks for replying. Tried this but still the nvidia driver installer can't find the hardward.
    marek2209
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 01:52:51 (permalink)
    Maybe check your BIOS settings? Turn the onboard graphics off, check the PCIE speed.
    Is your GPU listed in the BIOS and during boot?

buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:25:08 (permalink)
    Checked that already, not working. I have submitted RMA to bhohotovideo. Sad, waited for such a long time to get a broken card. Thanks for replying anyway.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:42:54 (permalink)
    If it still doesn't work, tell us your motherboard brand, model, and BIOS version number.  Non-UEFI compatible motherboard BIOS is almost certain not to function with this video card.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:49:33 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    If it still doesn't work, tell us your motherboard brand, model, and BIOS version number.  Non-UEFI compatible motherboard BIOS is almost certain not to function with this video card.

this is my motherboard. The UEFI compatibility should be fine.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:51:49 (permalink)
    buqian
    ty_ger07

Tell us your motherboard brand, model, and BIOS version.  Your link didn't work (because you are too new and it was removed from your post).  Even if your link did work, it wouldn't tell us your motherboard BIOS version.  Please type out your motherboard brand, model, and BIOS version.  It is a pretty simple request.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:55:26 (permalink)
    You stated that this is a new build. Did you install all of the motherboard drivers first? Chipset drivers, Sata drivers and so on? If not, make sure your motherboard drivers are fully up to date first.
    buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:55:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    buqian
    ty_ger07

Tell us your motherboard brand, model, and BIOS version.  Your link didn't work (because you are too new and it was removed from your post).  Even if your link did work, it wouldn't tell us your motherboard BIOS version.  Please type out your motherboard brand, model, and BIOS version.  It is a pretty simple request.

Asrock z390 Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI-ac, BIOS version 1.10. Sorry I didn't check my reply after clicking submit button.
    buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 02:57:51 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    You stated that this is a new build. Did you install all of the motherboard drivers first? Chipset drivers, Sata drivers and so on? If not, make sure your motherboard drivers are fully up to date first.

Yes, I've installed all softwares I can download from the motherboard support page. Built-in wi-fi, SSDs connected to SATA, Integrated Intel GPU are all working fine.
    buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/17 03:07:10 (permalink)
    I do have one question: normally after a graphics card is installed before the drivers are installed(you installed the GPU to the mobo and powered on for the first time), will the LEDs be on when the system is booting? Mine are not so I'm not sure whether this indicates malfunction or not. Both fans are operating.
    Cylord
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 16:53:08 (permalink)
    Did you block the motherboard's pci-e graphics card interface in the BIOS? Try a pci-e interface instead. Alternatively, replace the SSD with an interface to see if the graphics card works properly.
    buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 17:07:19 (permalink)
    buqian
    I do have one question: normally after a graphics card is installed before the drivers are installed(you installed the GPU to the mobo and powered on for the first time), will the LEDs be on when the system is booting? Mine are not so I'm not sure whether this indicates malfunction or not. Both fans are operating.

Cylord
    Did you block the motherboard's pci-e graphics card interface in the BIOS? Try a pci-e interface instead. Alternatively, replace the SSD with an interface to see if the graphics card works properly.

No I didn't. I confirmed with a EVGA technical support that on a normal card the LEDs will be on when powered up but mine is not. I also confirmed that in video "Installing Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti" by "CareyHolzman", at around 1:16:40. You can checkout the video if you want. I'm too new to paste a link here so I just typed the full video title and the youtuber name. In all my card is simply not working. Thanks for trying to help.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 17:19:40 (permalink)
    buqian
    I have just received my rtx 2080 ti xc ultra today from bhphotovideo. I tried a whole day to install it but nothing in the system can ever recognize that a nvidia gpu is intalled.

The pc is a new build and no graphics was installed previously. I checked the device manager and all it shows is an unknown `PCI device`. I tried following the instructions from google to uninstall the integrated intel graphics card driver, uninstalled the `PCI device` and restart for multiple times but every time after the system rebooted, it's still `PCI device`. When I tried to install the nvidia driver, it just shows something like `A Nvidia GPU is required to install`. I tried to reboot to safe mode and use DDU to clean uninstall the intel driver, but in the logs of the DDU window, there are only logs of intel gpu. I even tried to install linux and still the nvidia driver cannot find the gpu.

After the pc starts up, the fan of the gpu will start spinning, but no leds are on, I am not sure if that is the standard behavior. 

Thanks.

Give this a Go, Enable CSM but change each to Do not launch as shown below.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 17:34:47 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    buqian

Thanks.

Give this a Go, Enable CSM but change each to Do not launch as shown below.

I checked my bios settings, the CMS is enabled followed by 2 `legacy only` and 1 `uefi only`(same order). But I have mailed the card back to bhphotovideo so I can't try this anymore. Thanks for help.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 17:46:52 (permalink)
    Not thinking it is the Card but your Setup.
    GPU Not Seated into the PCIe Slot and Locked in.
    Not using the PCIe Slot that is next to the CPU and a few other items.
    Testing the Card in another computer should have been the first thing to before sending back the card.
    From your PSU did you connect two separate PCIe VGA Cables?
    If not this could be why you never saw any LED when you powered on.
    What VGA Cable did you have connect to the RTX Card and what is the Make and Model of your Monitor?

"Tried this but still the nvidia driver installer can't find the hardward." This tell me that the MB is not seeing the Card.
    In the Bios did this card show up?
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/11/18 17:52:14

buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 17:57:02 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Not thinking it is the Card but your Setup.
    GPU Not Seated into the PCIe Slot and Locked in.
    Not using the PCIe Slot that is next to the CPU and a few other items.
    From your PSU did you connect two separate PCIe VGA Cables?
    If not this could be why you never saw any LED when you powered on.
    What VGA Cable did you have connect to the RTX Card and what is the Make and Model of your Monitor?

The card is seated into the PCIe and I tried both PCIe slots several times. I did use two separate 8 pin PCIe VGA cables to connect the card and the PSU. The PSU is EVGA 750W supernova Gold and I was using the PCIe VGA cables came with that PSU. I tried using 2 different PCIe VGA cables(there are 4 came with the PSU), I tried using an EVGA 1600W PSU. Never see any LED. The monitor I am using is an AOC Agon AG271QG and I tried both DP and HDMI cables. The HDMI works fine with the on board HDMI slot.

I didn't see any info in BIOS relating to GPU. Windows did know a PCI device is installed, but it doesn't know what it is. Tried to fully uninstall Integrated GPU driver(using DDU) and restart, in Google result people say after this the unknown will be recognized as Nvidia GPU but that didn't happen to me.
    post edited by buqian - 2018/11/18 17:59:39
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 18:17:50 (permalink)
    http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming%20SLIac.pdf
    On your next card use the "connect the auxiliary power source to the PCI Express graphics cards." on your MB.
    4.6.2 Chipset Configuration Page 74 show the setup for PCI Graphics the manual is not the best I have seen.
    Maybe under System Info on Page 41 shows info on installed PCIe Device like the Graphics Card.
    Current Bios 1.16 2018/11/14
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/11/18 18:28:56

buqian
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 19:38:27 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    On your next card use the "connect the auxiliary power source to the PCI Express graphics cards." on your MB.
    4.6.2 Chipset Configuration Page 74 show the setup for PCI Graphics the manual is not the best I have seen.
    Maybe under System Info on Page 41 shows info on installed PCIe Device like the Graphics Card.

Thank you so much! This manual is way more detailed than the one included with the mobo. That one has less than 40 pages.

I guess the "connect the auxiliary power source to the PCI Express graphics cards" simply means to connect the 2 8-pin PCIe VGA cable? It is not some options that can be set in mobo.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 22:07:14 (permalink)
    buqian
    bcavnaugh

Thank you so much! This manual is way more detailed than the one included with the mobo. That one has less than 40 pages.

I guess the "connect the auxiliary power source to the PCI Express graphics cards" simply means to connect the 2 8-pin PCIe VGA cable? It is not some options that can be set in mobo.

For some motherboards, it's an additional power source for the PCIe slots to help supplement power which can increase stability.  It's usually best used with two GPUs in SLI/NVLink but in some rare occasions when you have a demanding GPUs like these, it could help stabilize it.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 22:20:49 (permalink)
    Thanks GTXJackBauer for trying to help out. Going to give you a BR even though it had to be RMAed back since you put in a lot of effort to try to fix the issue. Hopefully he gets sent a good card and gained a bit of knowledge that he can use in the future. Sometimes even hardware problems with a build can be a great way to gain the knowledge of how to fix future issues and unfortunately a lot of us have learned a lot about fixing problems over the years. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/18 23:24:16 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Thanks GTXJackBauer for trying to help out. Going to give you a BR even though it had to be RMAed back since you put in a lot of effort to try to fix the issue. Hopefully he gets sent a good card and gained a bit of knowledge that he can use in the future. Sometimes even hardware problems with a build can be a great way to gain the knowledge of how to fix future issues and unfortunately a lot of us have learned a lot about fixing problems over the years. 

Appreciate it.  Yes, it always good to learn from your experiences which can be very useful down the road.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Is my newly received 2080 ti xc ultra a damaged one? 2018/11/19 09:03:33 (permalink)
    buqian
    bcavnaugh

Like he said above.
    Keep us Posted
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/11/19 10:02:00

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile