EVGA

Helpful ReplyIs it possible to swap cables from different power supplies?

Author
suikoden_82
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/02/25 07:38:38 (permalink)
Hello everyone,
i need some clarification.

I recently bought a new graphics card that requires two 8 pin VGA cables,
unfortunately i have only one (I think the other one has been lost),
and a friend offered to give me a cable that he doesn't use, from his power supply,

I have an EVGA 650 G3, he has an EVGA 650 P2,
the cables look exactly the same but before i use it i want to be sure so i ask you experts.

Do you know if they are compatible with each other?

Thanks for your help. ^^
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/25 07:44:34 (permalink)
I am not sure,  (I'll look for the FAQ)  EVGA 650 G3, & EVGA 650 P2

DO NOT use it unless it is confirmed Compatible

reason:  Any PSU can  (and Mand do) have a - "custom pinout on the PSU side" --- then the wire harness is customized -- so the device end has the Correct pinout

edit  -  FAQ # 59698  Which EVGA Modular Cables are compatible with my PSU?

(excerpt)
"Most power supplies share compatibility with PCIe cables, but power supplies do not necessarily share compatibility across SATA and 4pin molex peripheral cables and can damage devices connected to such a cable.  If you eventually replace your compatible power supply with another power supply, make sure that the power supply is compatible with the same cable set, or we strongly recommend to discontinue using the Individually Sleeved Cable set."

post edited by Cool GTX - 2023/02/25 07:50:22

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

suikoden_82
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/25 07:51:39 (permalink)
EVGA Fully-Modular Power Supplies:

Most of EVGA's fully-modular power supplies are compatible with the cable sets of each other, or will be noted otherwise.  As noted above, power supplies may be compatible with sets designed for a higher or lower wattage. 
Power Supplies based on the G2/P2/T2 pinout:
  • Compatible with 1600 watt and under B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G6/GA/GM/GP*/GT/P2/P3/P5/P6/P+/T2 Models:

This means that G3 and P2 have compatible cables, right?
post edited by suikoden_82 - 2023/02/25 07:57:08
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/25 08:03:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby EVGATech_ChrisB 2023/02/27 12:01:07
suikoden_82
EVGA Fully-Modular Power Supplies:

Most of EVGA's fully-modular power supplies are compatible with the cable sets of each other, or will be noted otherwise.  As noted above, power supplies may be compatible with sets designed for a higher or lower wattage. 
Power Supplies based on the G2/P2/T2 pinout:
  • Compatible with 1600 watt and under B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G6/GA/GM/GP*/GT/P2/P3/P5/P6/P+/T2 Models:

This means that G3 and P2 have compatible cables, right?

I was just reading the FAQ, when you replied

YES, that is how I read that ..... as EVGA FAQ does Not list those under the "incompatible section" of PSUs

If you have a Volt meter & do a web search for the PCIe pinout - you could also confirm the ground & voltage pins

Also near the TOP of that FAQ:
(excerpt)

"Beginning with the EVGA G3 Power Supplies, all subsequent fully-modular power supplies began using the same modular cable pinout for improved compatibility.  However, many other currently-sold EVGA power supplies use different modular cable pinouts, and thus it is necessary to always check for compatibility."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

suikoden_82
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/25 08:30:20 (permalink)
In fact I noticed that the pinout are the same

I don't have a voltmeter, but I'll check the part number of both PSUs to have confirm!

Thanks for your help. ^^
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/25 08:55:50 (permalink)
Welcome to the EVGA Forums & Congrats on your first thread

happy to help

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts ---> Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/25 23:16:18 (permalink)
Anyone can also reach out to EVGA support if the models are not listed on the compatibility page. It’s always best to double check just to be sure.

Also I always consider the age and condition of the cable. I personally change them out if I can because I feel it’s the best practice.

This is more of a general feelings for people who might read this thread in the future. Hopefully cables remain compatible but always worth checking if it’s not expressly said in the FAQ for cables.
post edited by Hoggle - 2023/02/27 22:42:13

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2032
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Is it possible to swap cables from different power supplies? 2023/02/27 12:00:45 (permalink)
Hi suikoden_82,

Yes, this cable is compatible.

suikoden_82
Hello everyone,
i need some clarification.

I recently bought a new graphics card that requires two 8 pin VGA cables,
unfortunately i have only one (I think the other one has been lost),
and a friend offered to give me a cable that he doesn't use, from his power supply,

I have an EVGA 650 G3, he has an EVGA 650 P2,
the cables look exactly the same but before i use it i want to be sure so i ask you experts.

Do you know if they are compatible with each other?

Thanks for your help. ^^

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile