EVGA

Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off???

Author
nightfalkon
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/24 04:35:23 (permalink)
Hello, 
I've just received a 2nd EVGA PSU (850 T2) after struggling with high frequency/ultrasonic noise being emitted from my previous one (750 G5). My build is completely new, about a month old. I thought I'd switch them out to see if there's a difference but the T2 is still plagued with this pulsating, high freq noise, even when the PC is turned off (and continues when it is turned on) FYI This happens only when the PSU itself is on, and disappears when off. This applies to both aforementioned models. 

Here is what it sounds like: https:// imgur.com /TUtSvHp

Is this coil whine? Is this something that is normal and that I am just too sensitive to? My PC is in my living room, which is of a decent size, and the noise fills up the space no matter where you stand or sit. I then get this ringing/whistling in my ears even when I'm out of the room, very unpleasant.
Would appreciate your guys' thoughts on this. Should I RMA? Should I go for something else? Any fixes or tips?
Thanks,
JJ
post edited by nightfalkon - 2020/07/24 06:23:29

8 Replies Related Threads

nightfalkon
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/24 07:51:41 (permalink)
    Link to video added, sorry!
    jfw06013
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 586
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/24 08:15:58 (permalink)
    No

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/24 09:08:37 (permalink)
    Are you plugged into the wall directly, or though an UPS? If through an UPS, if it's not a pure sine-wave one, whine can be induced by the square wave that the UPS produces. If plugged directly into the wall, I'd suspect the power from the house since this is the second PSU with the issue - try a different outlet (preferably one that is on a different breaker), perhaps try a different house (friends?).
    nightfalkon
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/30 04:26:31 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Are you plugged into the wall directly, or though an UPS? If through an UPS, if it's not a pure sine-wave one, whine can be induced by the square wave that the UPS produces. If plugged directly into the wall, I'd suspect the power from the house since this is the second PSU with the issue - try a different outlet (preferably one that is on a different breaker), perhaps try a different house (friends?).

HI, thanks a lot for your reply.
    I tried it plugged both into wall directly and through a surge protector, and same result. I believe you are right in saying it is the power from the house, as I hear similar high frequency pulsations from the breaker box. I also tested the PSU in 2 other houses and it wasn't as bad. 
    Do you have any recommendations for a UPS that could help me here??
    Cheers,
    JJ
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/30 07:50:46 (permalink)
    nightfalkon
    arestavo

I tried it plugged both into wall directly and through a surge protector, and same result. I believe you are right in saying it is the power from the house, as I hear similar high frequency pulsations from the breaker box. I also tested the PSU in 2 other houses and it wasn't as bad. 
    Cheers,
    JJ

I honestly am not sure from my own experience, but a standard UPS usually only kicks in when power is out/out of tolerance. You'd need an UPS that actively conditions power - an online UPS is what they are called, but I bet that they are not cheap. A line interactive UPS might do what you need as well, but I am not certain. https://www.mustups.com/what-is-offline-ups-line-interactive-ups-online-ups/

Found an 800W online UPS on Amazon, but it's almost $600. To put it into perspective, I purchased a standard 1200W UPS for the same price.

Seems like a line interactive UPS also runs quite expensive - Amazon

There are line conditioners that are around $100, but I am not sure if they will filter our your issue. Amazon

BTW, all of these items are available for different power if you don't have the NA 60Hz 120V - some are different models.
    post edited by arestavo - 2020/07/30 08:01:38
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/30 08:01:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, power converters or in-line power conditioners can be a bit pricey.  - but totally worth it in the long run , if you own alot of high dollar electronic equipment. 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/07/30 21:22:51 (permalink)
    nightfalkon
    arestavo

Cheers,
    JJ

This is not normal. You should have an electrician check this out. Your panel should be silent unless you got some sort of ground loop or an induced current somewhere. One of these would fix you up in regards to protecting your gear.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2020/07/30 21:30:31

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Is it normal for PSU to be emitting this high frequency noise when PC is off??? 2020/08/01 02:35:08 (permalink)
    That you're hearing it from the breaker box means the house/residence isn't wired correctly... you should really, really have an electrician come out and fix it. Not just for safety purposes, but also for the longevity of everything electrical in your house! 

Before we moved into my current place we had to get the home owner hire an electrician because electricity was backfeeding into appliances. Turns out the main house junction box had been incorrectly installed and it'd never been caught, so one of the main Y lines had almost burned entirely through and was fixing to go entirely. As I heard it told, the box even spewed some sparks at the electrician the moment he'd opened it due to the partially severed cable rubbing together. For yourself or for your appliances, get a real electrician to check things out! 
    post edited by kougar - 2020/08/01 02:37:11

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile