EVGA

Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102215
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/05/16 09:29:01 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/255563/intel-tried-to-bribe-dutch-university-to-suppress-knowledge-of-mds-vulnerability

Cybersecurity researchers at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, also known as VU Amsterdam, allege that Intel tried to bribe them to suppress knowledge of the latest processor security vulnerability RIDL (rouge in-flight data load), which the company made public on May 14. Dutch publication Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant reports that Intel offered to pay the researchers a USD $40,000 "reward" to allegedly get them to downplay the severity of the vulnerability, and backed their offer with an additional $80,000. The team politely refused both offers. 

Intel's security vulnerability bounty program is shrouded in CYA agreements designed to minimize Intel's losses from the discovery of a new vulnerability. Under its terms, once a discoverer accepts the bounty reward, they enter into a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with Intel, to not disclose their findings or communicate in the regard with any other person or entity than with certain authorized people at Intel. With public knowledge withheld, Intel can work on mitigation and patches against the vulnerability. Intel argues that information of vulnerabilities becoming public before it's had a chance to address them would give the bad guys time to design and spread malware that exploits the vulnerability. This is an argument the people at VU weren't willing to buy, and thus Intel is forced to disclose RIDL even as microcode updates, software updates, and patched hardware are only beginning to come out.

It's sad that Intel thought of using money to try and keep this secret. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30963
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/16 10:50:25 (permalink)
    maybe they wanted their child to attend ....

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21169
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/16 19:31:58 (permalink)
    Intel's security vulnerability bounty program is shrouded in CYA agreements designed to minimize Intel's losses from the discovery of a new vulnerability. Under its terms, once a discoverer accepts the bounty reward, they enter into a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with Intel, to not disclose their findings or communicate in the regard with any other person or entity than with certain authorized people at Intel. With public knowledge withheld, Intel can work on mitigation and patches against the vulnerability. Intel argues that information of vulnerabilities becoming public before it's had a chance to address them would give the bad guys time to design and spread malware that exploits the vulnerability. This is an argument the people at VU weren't willing to buy, and thus Intel is forced to disclose RIDL even as microcode updates, software updates, and patched hardware are only beginning to come out.

Wait, a bug bounty is now considered bribery money? From the above explanation, seems like this is a lot to do about nothing. Every company tech company wants to be notified of vulnerabilities and be given a reasonable amount of time to fix the vulnerability before it is disclosed. This is common and is even expected; as a written contract or not. It's common courtesy, makes sense, and is best for the customers.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/16 21:01:39 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Intel's security vulnerability bounty program is shrouded in CYA agreements designed to minimize Intel's losses from the discovery of a new vulnerability. Under its terms, once a discoverer accepts the bounty reward, they enter into a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with Intel, to not disclose their findings or communicate in the regard with any other person or entity than with certain authorized people at Intel. With public knowledge withheld, Intel can work on mitigation and patches against the vulnerability. Intel argues that information of vulnerabilities becoming public before it's had a chance to address them would give the bad guys time to design and spread malware that exploits the vulnerability. This is an argument the people at VU weren't willing to buy, and thus Intel is forced to disclose RIDL even as microcode updates, software updates, and patched hardware are only beginning to come out.

Wait, a bug bounty is now considered bribery money? From the above explanation, seems like this is a lot to do about nothing. Every company tech company wants to be notified of vulnerabilities and be given a reasonable amount of time to fix the vulnerability before it is disclosed. This is common and is even expected; as a written contract or not. It's common courtesy, makes sense, and is best for the customers.

+10000000!!!   Well, you know, theres no such thing as bad publicity.  

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102215
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/16 22:17:11 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

LOL!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/17 01:02:50 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8325
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/17 03:48:35 (permalink)
    I posted it on one of your other threads yesterday...#17, was this not the correct place to do?

https://forums.evga.com/I...n-May-14-m2954943.aspx

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Intel Tried to Bribe Dutch University to Suppress Knowledge of MDS Vulnerability 2019/05/17 06:08:24 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

If I were the Dutch - I’d be insulted at such a low-ball offer, lol

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile