EVGA

Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/09/06 00:11:40 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/258978/intel-sourgrapes-amds-creator-performance-leadership-with-laughably-dubious-data

Intel as part of its IFA Berlin client-segment presentation resorted to some very juvenile marketing tactics, inviting criticism from noted PC enthusiast Der8auer. Intel scampered to reclaim its market position in the PC gaming space with the announcement of the Core i9-9900KS 8-core processor, which armed with a 5.00 GHz all-core Turbo Boost frequency, is expected to cement the company's gaming performance leadership. The company didn't leave it at that, and went on to attack AMD's creator performance leadership.

Der8auer observed something curious about a few slides in particular that Intel used to discredit AMD's high-end desktop processors, relating to its Creator performance as tested in Maxon Cinema 4D. Intel claimed that AMD cannot use CineBench data to represent "real-world" performance as "only 0.22 percent" of users polled by Intel's "Software Improvement Program" respondents use it. And who are these respondents? Close to 11 million _all_ notebook and tablet users, a majority of whom have Software Improvement Program part of OEM bloatware. This, according to Der8auer, is fundamentally dishonest on Intel's part as Maxon 4D is less likely to be used on portable computers, and more likely on premium desktops or HEDTs. You can watch Der8auer's vlog here (English) or here (German).

It's sad that Intel has to resort to these kind of tactics which in my personal opinion are quite childish. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

10 Replies Related Threads

MadmanRB
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 339
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 02:19:32 (permalink)
    Yeah thats underhanded, but you know intel is scared poop less right now

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 02:54:39 (permalink)
    The AMD RYZEN 9 3950X should release very soon and maybe Threadripper next month or the month after. Yes Intel has to resort to stupid marketing. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 03:39:34 (permalink)
    Was it dishonest to say that real world computer users don't have premium desktops. Most of the world computer market is content consumers not content creators. I am not saying AMD isn't a great product but probably only a small amount are really doing content creation with them.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

MadmanRB
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 339
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 03:52:43 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I am not saying AMD isn't a great product but probably only a small amount are really doing content creation with them.

Yeah but its hard to tell that part, there isnt any analytics on that sort of thing

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 05:29:02 (permalink)
    Intel does make great products overall and has the potential to be so much better - they just sat lazily at the top for so long...without even trying to do better.  
     Shame on them for their complacence ,...stop talking about your competitors being worse and prove it to us ( the consumers )  by just  innovating better products and letting them speak for themselves .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 05:43:40 (permalink)
    MadmanRB
    Yeah thats underhanded, but you know intel is scared poop less right now

I doubt that.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 05:53:13 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Was it dishonest to say that real world computer users don't have premium desktops.

Yes, that is probably true in general. But some percentage do. Certainly the Core i9-9900KS 8-core processor is designed to be used in a premium desktop. So, the fact that it exists and is marketable disproves the premise.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/06 07:31:51 (permalink)
    I would think Inel's legal team pored over the Marketing Slides before public release .... there would have to be a basis in their claim

just More Marketing Noise .........

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/08 09:49:57 (permalink)
    Every time a new product or technology shows up, it's like people forget that time doesn't stop. In other words, should we assume people don't change or change slowly? What's it based on?

My thought is that consumer usage of CPU cores has been limited to what is available to their budgets, and to net the most sales, developers won't go out of their way and waste their resources to tailor software to as many cores as you can throw at it, should you get more cores later.  Rather, they will aim for a best fit group; this is why games don't improve with more cores, they weren't written open-threaded from the beginning.  Hardware isn't at fault, software is; but Intel is placing responsibility on user habits.  Except the end user wouldn't know the hardware upper limits of their software, devs would, that's why they give out minimums and recommended marks. 

But like any business, developers don't spend millions and then 'hope' it sells or take a 'let's see what happens' approach; they all already know it will sell, growth is the unknown factor (i.e. will new customers continue to purchase over time before a competitor jumps in or responds?).

A business will afford those expensive market research reports and look for trends of what hardware typically gets sold and aim software at people most likely to by it.  It does seem catch 22, and granted, a business has to start the ball rolling for hardware and software-- one could conclude with regards to AMD and Intel, this is where we are right now.  Most major OEMs still don't carry too many Ryzen lines, in a way, it isn't worth the marketing response from Intel-- unless they already knows their customers (OEM) are looking into it and trying to deter by remind them what software end-users use.  Although, playing Devil's Advocate for Intel, 'desktop' doesn't automatically mean enthusiast or gaming grade, most people don't do much and tend to do the same things on their notebook or tablet.

From 2006 to 2017, it was the quad-core w/HT that was the gold standard at the $300-ish price point, dual-cores w/HT still existed below $200 and 6-core started out at $1000, dropped to about half in that time, succeeded by 8-core models.  What did most regular folks get? 4-threaded processors were dominant in sales, dual-core w/HT and quad-core w/o HT.  That is what Intel's Real World is based on; it isn't a coincidence or a 'supposed to be' ideology.  It is just a result of what folks afford; it takes a few years to develop new software from the ground up, so a new hardware trend has to last a while before we start seeing programs that use a different hardware set.  But this trend of new hardware adoption takes time by itself, it isn't like enthusiasts keep the market afloat, major software players have to wait for everyone else to change.  That isn't going to happen until the cheapest models begin getting more cores, and we're not there yet.  Ryzen 3 established and Core i3 followed making quad-core w/HT entry level, but they need to go up for real change to occur across the board.

With Zen 1.0, AMD knew their IPC was behind Skylake and maybe frequency wasn't as high as it could be, so the only strategy left is increase core count per dollar-- until it suits them, they are a business after all.  After a while, even they will come off as greedy waiting for Intel to respond, that's just capitalism.  These companies don't make their products for the customers, they do it to keep their customers away from competitors; if a competitor is unable, there is no reason to continually introduce new stuff at the same price points (might as well raise price points).  That's why 3900X became 1800X's successor without doubling the core count, and 3950X's debut was postponed; and why nVidia introduced RTX at all.  

People do change, and they change slowly, but that is provided an overhead exists to grow into.  Sure, there are more consumers than creators, but will it stay that way?  Yes and no, plenty of humans on the planet and people get educated somehow, got to love the internet.  Intel's argument isn't against creators, they just figured those willing to pay for their premium models are few, as if not affording keeps them from creating as much.  But they aren't considering those that want to be creators but can't afford-- this is of benefit to AMD.  Frankly, I'd put myself in this category and prefer Intel pull their head out of their rear.

I get that Intel is just trying to easiest way keep their business with these tactics, they credit AMD for closing the gap and giving them the excuse for more SKUs with better core per dollar than before; but outside that, I'm sure they prefer we all ignore AMD on the basis that we don't need more.  Intel's response to lead by raising core counts on their own, ahead of AMD, is delayed; in the meantime, criticize someone that can do something you can't.  It is a very human response at it's core, pun intended...

What's at the $300-ish mark now?  6- & 8-core, who's okay of another decade of that?  

Subject change: Let's take a look at Intel's twelve years of quad-cores from Core 2 Quad to Core i7-7700K at the $300-ish mark.  Both of these were from Anandtech, reviewing Kaby Lake and Sandy Bridge, and Cinebench was present when it favored Intel and I'm sure back then no one really used it:

I like that frequencies were included in the SB review, when normalized, i7-2600K (boosts to 3.8GHz) was a 20% faster IPC than i7-920 (boosts to 2.93GHz) and 36% ahead of Core 2 Quad Q6600.  But while 7700K had a boost of 4.5GHz, it was just 26.8% IPC ahead of 2600K.  But hey, this is R10 and Ryzen didn't exist.

We could look at the IPC of Coffee Lake and Zen 2, scroll to the bottom.  No IPC gain from 7700K to 9900K is sad, but fans don't care, they are superficially focused on the frequency.  Speaking of which, it's too bad Zen 2 is so temperature sensitive on overclocking that far, considering most enthusiasts limit themselves to AIO's; but I don't see frequency going up with later versions of Zen.  I think AMD's focus in increasing core counts, leaving frequency increases to Intel, which will benefit their legacy of most people not needing as many cores.  

The last time AMD posed a series threat, Intel came at them hard, it'll be a while before this happens again:

These were all dual-cores, debuted in 2006, so dual-core had already been established as premium; of course these from Anandtech's Core 2 Duo launch review are the single-threaded scores.  I actually owned a D-920 at the time, blew my mind that a lower frequency could have a faster processor, that's the power of IPC, nearly 100% per core (Core 2 Duo E6300 versus Pentium Extreme 965).
    post edited by lehpron - 2019/09/08 09:56:56

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Intel Sourgrapes AMD's Creator Performance Leadership with Laughably Dubious Data 2019/09/08 21:09:41 (permalink)
    Well said Lephron.  

I agree and disagree about the whole company only cares to stagnate and to make the most funds because it's just capitalism.  In a true capitalist sense, this could backfire for them if a new guy showed up swinging for the fence and executed but they also after a long time could turn into the milking company too.  I guess that's just the nature of the beast.  Some say, companies nowadays aren't the same as they once were in past times where now, all they think about is maximum profits and shareholders, nothing else.  I mean in some sense that's how it always was right but I think some are saying, it's more severe now where they are hurting employees, consumers, etc.  While some think that, I personally don't think that is everyone but won't disagree that they do exist out there.

Also, I like how you broke it down and I will say, I think we all get caught into the excitement and hype because it's a fun hobby.  Thank goodness for the AIBs because without them, not sure what our niche industry would be like.  Maybe we'd all be stuck with ugly OEM PCs lol but regardless, it's feels good having them around, granted we all might have issues with pricing.

As for who's holding us back, I'm not 100% sure but I like to blame the software (Gaming devs) or others might blame the hardware or it's a mixed bag of both.  When I see the hardware ahead of it's time but the software just isn't fully optimized for it, it's frustrating to say the least.  Why can't we pay a slight higher fee for optimized games for higher end hardware instead of one size fits all load of poop.  I'd be down with that and I'm sure many would.  Hopefully that would cover their extra costs but now you don't have as much competition as we once were either with the gaming community.  All the big guys bought the medium guys who bought the small guys or what have you.  Now they are massive.  It's like the top 3 own majority or like only 5-7 own all of the media.   

I remember back in my younger days where it used to be where you bought top of the line gear and it showed what you played for.  Now, you could spend a ton and get a slight improvement in performance (I get we are nearing the end of Moore's Law)  as the guy that spent $500 less than you and both have the same decreased performance issues.  How's that for a premium experience? lol  Kinda frustrating to be honest.  This recent screen and graphics upgrade for gaming was probably one of the worse I've ever experienced but I try not to making it such a big deal.  I've had way better experiences (X58) and in the old days before 'HD' was around. lol

The way I'm seeing everything is, every decade there's a new standard to what basically you alluded to.  I've seen that with automobile designs, music, etc. in different industries.  The way I see it is, from 2000 to 2010, dual core was the boss. 2010 to 2020 quad core.  2020 to 2030, let's hope it's at least 12 cores but something tells me, it will only be 6 or 8 cores.  Enough of my wishful thinking.

Anyways, thanks for reading my blabbing semi rant lol but as always, I enjoyed reading yours.  Cheers!
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/09/08 21:14:14

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile