Helpful ReplyImprove 980 TI life expectancy

Author
HashBrownHamish
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/07/17 14:50:23 (permalink)
Hello,

I have a 980 ti superclocked acx 2.0+ and i've had to RMA it twice now and my warranty has expired. The first time the power supply (evga 750w I believe) died and took the GPU with it so I had to RMA both. The second time I'm not sure what happened and tech support didn't get back to me with what might have been the cause. But it just died out of the blue, no burning smell nothing it just stopped and refused to boot up with the card installed.

So now my warranty has expired and I have 'dying graphics card' paranoia. What would you guys recommend I try to improve my cards life expectancy? Expect keeping temperatures low what can i check to ensure there is the least amount of chance the graphics card dies? 

Ideally I need it to last another 2 years until I finish my studies
EVGATech_DavidR
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 318
Re: Improve 980 TI life expectancy 2018/07/17 15:14:55 (permalink)
Hi Hamish,

There are not really any guarantees when it comes to the life expectancy of an electronic component or by extension, the device itself, which is why the warranty is in place. A component may last 20 or 30 years, but another in the same batch may last a few hours.

Some things you could do in an attempt to prolong the life of the card is make sure it has sufficient cooling, don't run it under heavy loads for extended periods (IE: Mining Cryptocurrency) and just make sure it's free of dust and dirt.

We do offer the option of purchasing an extended warranty which would take a 3 year product to either 5 or 10 years, within 90 days of the original purchase date, for peace of mind.

Either way, should you need any troubleshooting assistance or advice on your EVGA products, feel free to reach out to our support team any time.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Improve 980 TI life expectancy 2018/07/17 15:24:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby EVGATech_DavidR 2018/07/17 15:29:16
Use a quality surge suppressor or UPS to prevent surge damage

Clean your case & fans, keep case off carpet -- all to improve airflow

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Dave3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 720
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Improve 980 TI life expectancy 2018/07/17 15:38:59 (permalink)
Heres what I do just to be able to play games at all:
Have MSI Afterburner on 100% fan speed during gaming, heatsinks on the back of the card (or you could buy a REAL backplate, that actually cools, and not just one that looks neeto), a fan dedicated to cooling the top of my card, The case on top of the desk with AC blowing into my case, something to keep the card level all the time. Clean everything once a month, or 2 if its not very dusty in your house. A dedicated line JUST for the computer, monitor, and modem. A high quality UPS.

I am on my 6th Titan X (this is the best I will ever get it seems), and this is what I have to do to just play games and web surf.
And even then I have to shut the machine off, or log off and log back on, because textures dont load, or there is bad flickering, or something is going on.
I also had an EVGA PSU that went out and took my card, but we didnt catch it until the 3rd or 4th rma. :(

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
HashBrownHamish
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Improve 980 TI life expectancy 2018/07/27 02:38:36 (permalink)
Thanks for your answers. 

I was wondering if a motherboard could damage a graphics card? It's never displayed an issue but I couldn't find any information online surrounding if a motherboard can damage a graphics card
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Improve 980 TI life expectancy 2018/07/27 10:16:14 (permalink)
Removing / Installing ---> Anything from a MB that is "Off" - but still plugged into the wall - Can cause damage as the MB still has power

You must isolate (unplug) the PC, wait for  PSU discharge - or - hold start button 30 sec. to discharge PSU capacitors

Always follow good grounding practices to prevent static discharge damage

Also, powering On a PC if the GPU card is Not Fully inserted into the PCIe slot & locked in place can potentially damage the card

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile