(COMPLETED) "IKONiK" [GearUpwithEVGA] (Sponsored Case Mod) - •Envious Mods•

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 125
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/06 13:34:22 (permalink)

Update: PSU Label Flip

The one downside of inverting your PC is the labels are all typically inverted as well. Having a little OCD only makes it worse. I really like the look of the label on the Be Quiet Dark Power 11 Pro PSU because it's well made. I could probably remove the metal label using heat but I figured why not take this opportunity to make one of my own based off of the original design I already liked. I have some silver chrome thick vinyl that matches the originally perfectly. I had to make my own design and cut file that I showed on an earlier post. Now that I have everything out of the case I measured and cut a new panel out of very thin acrylic to use as a backing for my new decal. The first mockup of the new decal and it is very close to its final position. It just needs a couple more adjustments. I'll update with pics of it mounted soon.

Sneak Peek of The Alphacool Polished Tubing:

I still have a couple more things to do before I can start cutting the tubing and making the passthroughs but, I couldn't help but mock a bit of the tubing up to see what it will look like. I am even more excited now as I can tell it will look amazing. I carefully designed the layout of the hardline to match the bends so that it would carry on the modern designs cues. I also threw in the new EVGA GTX 1070 SC so I could see about where the tubing will go. Soon I'll have the new block for the GPU and I will be ready to start piping all the water cooling.

Check out our current case mod called, "IKONiK" in the Mod Rig section; sponsored by EVGA
Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/09 23:17:14 (permalink)

Adding an Extruded Aluminum Housing For The LEDs:

I found this alumnus led strip housing online about 3 months ago. It took me a long time to find. It's what they use for glass jewelry displays at stores. The main piece us aluminum and this type comes with a milky white cover that helps to diffuse the lights. I added one strip on the roof above the motherboard and the other one is going vertically along the side. I really enjoy the look of these and they come in several different styles.

Fitting Radiator & Mockups:

Now that the radiator is in and all mocked up I wanted to run most of the tubing on the front side. Even though I won't be using the frosted hardline; it gives me the exact measurements needed in order to perfectly cut the polished chrome tubing. This also gives me a chance to decide exactly where I want to put the passthroughs and flow meter.

Vinyl Work For The Alphacool UT60 420mm Radiator:

I had previously done the design for the vinyl work on the radiator. I decided it was time to get it cut and mounted on the beautiful special white edition 420mm radiator. Originally I was going to do the OCOOL logo in the same silver as the rest of the decal. I decided to cut it out of mirrored chrome instead and I'm glad I did. It gives it a better contrast and gives it a much more polished look.

Check out our current case mod called, "IKONiK" in the Mod Rig section; sponsored by EVGA
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102241
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/11 04:39:40 (permalink)
Looking forward to the final completed pics.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/13 15:04:26 (permalink)

OCOOL Aurora Ring Logo Change:

The Aurora ring LEDS come with a blue OCOOL logo on them and I wanted the color to match the rest of the build. I decided to make some new logo decals that are the exact same size as the original but, are in the different color. I decided to go with mirrored chrome and they came out great. Taking the OCOOL logo and putting into my design/cut program allowed me to scale it to the correct size. Once I had the proper size it was a matter of cutting and placing the logo so that it matched the stock ones.

EVGA Logo Flip:

The logo on the EVGA Z170 Classified K motherboard was also inverted due to the orientation of the motherboard. I've been playing around with several ideas and this is the latest one. I cut some extremely thin acrylic and covered it in black chrome vinyl. I then cut the EVGA Logo out of the mirrored chrome vinyl and remounted everything. Once I pull everything out again I may repaint the EVGA logo.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/20 00:28:28 (permalink)

Custom Painting Eisblock XPX CPU Block:

I had a spare cover for the Alphacool Eisblock XPX CPU block so I decided to try painting it white. This block is extremely simple to dismantle and prep for paint. There's 4 bolts on the bottom of the block. Once these 4 bolts are removed the 1st plate comes out. The other two plates are held in by pressure and I used a flat head to easily remove the rest of the inner pieces. After that it's just a matter of lightly sanding the bracket and top cover. I primed and then painted it white. After mocking up the block I determined that it seemed like a little too much white for the build. Swapping out the brackets for some black ones really did the trick. I may paint the caps that cover the springs as it will help breakup the white.

From Stock to Painted:

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/23 00:07:19 (permalink)

New Alphacool Block & LED Strips Arrive From ModMyMods:

I finally managed to get my hands on some of the Alphacool LED strips that are not yet available on the market. These strips are well built and 100% diffused which is a big thing in my book. It allows for an even glow instead of a beam coming from the strips. Most of the time I have to add Extruded Aluminum mounts with diffused covers to get the glow I'm looking for. I will be testing these out a bit and using them in the build.

I also got the new Alphacool block for the EVGA GTX 1070 SC GPU that recently replaced the GTX 980ti Classified GPU I had originally planned to use. This was swapped out in order to use the components I wanted in the watercooling. It was a much appreciated upgrade and the new EVGA GTX 1070 SC performs like a champ. It offers up more power and used less plugs from the PSU.

Putting an Alphacool NexXxoS Waterblock on AN EVGA GTX1070SC GPU:

Once you've done a few of these swaps it becomes very easy to do. It can also be intimidating to those who don't have much experience with them. I start by using a good antistatic work surface such as a Alphacool modding matt. Any antistatic surface will work good. I also use nutrile gloves as they keep oils off of the components and help with any static discharge issues that may arise.

Usually you will need to start on the side that is opposite from the cooler. If you can remove the little fan/led cables before start it will make it easier. If they are not very accessible, you can remove them once the cooler is loosened. Usually the larger bolts hold the cooler on and there will be 4 of them in a square pattern which are surrounding the GPU chip. I remove the largest ones first which usually removes the backplate. After that's removed I move onto removing the last of the bolts to get the cooler free.

Once I have the backplate and cooler removed I usually clean off the old or stock thermal paste. Grizzly thermal paste comes with the new cooler and it can be applied once the old paste is removed. To apply my new thermal paste I use an old credit card or store card which allows me to spread a very thin layer of paste across the entire surface. You want it to be thin so that it just covers the entire surface. Once you have thermal pads on both sides it's only a matter of bolting everything back together.

Installing The GPU Block:

NexXxoS Block Mounted on The EVGA GTX 1070 SC GPU:

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/27 16:08:35 (permalink)

Trying Out Different Locations For The Flow Meter:

I've had the general route for the hardline planned for quite sometime now but I wasn't sure where I wanted to mount the flow meter. I liked the idea of putting it near the GPU but after I had everything mocked up I decided to looked to busy. Especially considering the GPU support bracket that will be mounted. I keep thinking back to the original modern concept for the IKONiK build. The main desig cues consists of specific angles combined with layered horizontal and vertical lines. Moving the flow meter to the radiator down tube gives it an unobstructed and clean view. After playing around with it I think this is the best route to take. Below you can find a couple pics of what it looks like both ways. Also you have to consider the fact that this tubing will be swapped for polished chrome hardline.

The 1st layout:

The 2nd layout (best option)

GPU Support Bracket:

I've tried and built several GPU support brackets for the IKONiK build and no matter what I do it doesn't work correctly due to the motherboard being inverted. A buddy of mine came up with and idea to support the GPU from above instead of below it. He also had the ability to machine it which is required to get the kind of precision needed for this particular setup. I just recieved a few pictures of it and it looks absolutely stunning. He also managed to cut the IKONiK design in the side as well as the EM logo. The design was taken a step further by hand polishing the aluminum portion of the bracket so that it matched the IKONIKs theme. Once it arrives (soon) I will take more pics and mount it. Once it's mounted I will be able to cut the passthroughs in the stainless steel shroud. After that the polished chrome hardline tubing goes in and I will do the final paint work on the IKONiK build.

neopill
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/29 12:13:57 (permalink)
INCREDIBLE BUILD!! Me likey! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!

I no longer own a Killer RIG except 2010 Mac Mini with old 30" Cinema Monitor until I build a new one...

My daughter now owns EVGA Z370 Classified, i7-8700K CPU 3.70GHz,  16GB Dominator Corsair, 1650GTX GPU Black n White Case.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/03/29 12:20:24 (permalink)
neopill
INCREDIBLE BUILD!! Me likey! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!

Thanks Neopill! I really appreciate that.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/01 00:26:35 (permalink)
This build rocks. Looking forward to final pics.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/02 15:16:09 (permalink)

Changes To The GPU Support Bracket:

After mocking up the GPU support bracket I realized that I needed to make a few minor changes to make it look right on this particular build. I loved the IKONiK logo on the side but it got blocked by the watercooling tube coming off the GPU block. It looked weird when you couldn't read what it said so I decided to make a new acrylic front by hand. I used the original acrylic to draw a template in smoked black acrylic. I decided to use smoked black as it gave it a really neat look. It took a decent amount of time to cut, file, sand and drill the mount holes so it would easily bolt on to the original aluminum plate. Everything went together really well and it looks great. I made sure to take some pics of the progress.

Polished Chrome Hardline Tubing Goes In:

I've started swapping out the Alphacool Satin Hardtubes for the polished chrome ones. If you remeber earlier I used the Satin Hardtubes to figure out where all my cuts would go. Doing it this way helped insure that I didn't waste any of the polished chrome tubing. I used a rotatable pipe cutter and used painter's tape to help protect the chrome from being scratched. So far I have the tubes on the flow meter to the radiator cut and mounted. I've also cut most of the bent tubing that will go to the passthroughs. I still have to finish tapering the edges so I can mock it all up.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/08 03:57:12 (permalink)
Some great work here!

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/08 13:39:17 (permalink)

Custom ModMyMods Plate:

Since more and more of my builds are going to shows I thought it would be neat to make a cover that goes over the PSU mount on the back side (left) of the case. It will give it a more finished look and also display my love for ModMyMods gear. They're one of those rare companies that's made up by fellow enthusiasts. They really go the extra mile to help customers and this is a way I can show my appreciation. Originally the back side of the IKONiK build was going to be covered and that panel would never be removed. Now I've started to make it a feature of the build by adding the hand built cable tunnel and brushed shrouds. The passthroughs from the watercooling will also be visible from this side so it will be pretty sweet once finished.

I put together a quick video that I posted of the process and below you can see some of the steps taken to build this piece. I've been working on this off and on for the last couple weeks or so. Due to the fact that I made it by hand it took a ton of time to cut, file, sand and polish it. It came out exactly as I imagined and that makes me very happy. I took two seperate mods and melded them together into this piece. I'm also planning on making a couple more different styled ones for the build as well.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/08 18:01:59 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Some great work here!

Thanks buddy! Getting ready for final mods, paint and reassembly soon!

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/09 01:22:25 (permalink)
Envious Mods
rjohnson11
Some great work here!

Looking forward to the final pics!

MitchWh
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/11 21:23:27 (permalink)
Can't wait to see the build when you finished!

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/11 21:49:07 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Envious Mods
rjohnson11
Some great work here!

Looking forward to the final pics!

Thank you and me too.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/11 22:16:55 (permalink)
MitchWh
Can't wait to see the build when you finished!

Thanks Mitch! Lots of neat surprises in store as well.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/15 11:52:29 (permalink)

Modding The HD Bay Mounts:

Now that it's time to pull the entire build apart is can cut on the case a bit. I decided to remove the upper 5 hard drive bay mounts. I left the very top one which helped retain the rigidity of the piece. Once they were removed I made a new acrylic plate. The passthroughs from the front of the build will come through here. This plate will keep it all clean looking while also leaving plenty of clearance for the tubing and fittings. This little inset on the back of the Dark Base Pro is perfect for everything from mounting controllers to running passthroughs.

Battery Mod:

The battery on your motherboard gets little to no notice but I wanted to do something different. I wanted to make it a little detail that you probably wouldn't notice unless you looked at the build real well. I love doing little details like this. The more someone looks at my builds, the more details they become aware of. The battery was a perfect opportunity to do just that.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/20 16:43:37 (permalink)

Making Passthroughs:

The passthroughs went together fairly easy as I had already marked out where my holes need to go. The only tricky part is working with stainless steel. It's a lot stronger than most metals and I went with a step drill bit to make my 20mm holes. I also decided to run a vertical acrylic strip. I think doing so gives it a much cleaner look and it also looks more polished. The combination of acrylic and brushed stainless steel will look sharp.

Alphacool Eislich Under Case Mount:

I have a white Eislich light and a blue one. The plan is to use the white one inside the case so I thought the blue one would work best under the Dark Base 900 Pro. This works really well considering that the case has feet that keep it off the ground a bit. I didn't want to run wiring up the back as it would be noticeable no matter what so I decided to drill a small hole that was big enough to get the cable through. Once I had the Eislich mounted under the case it was a matter of running the cable through the bottom of the case. Luckily it is long enough that I won't need an extension to power it. After having it all mounted up I got my 1st look at it and I'm very happy. It gives a perfect flow without being overbearing. There's nothing worse than a light that's too bright. These lights also seem to play well with cameras. I didn't have to do any tricks or weird settings in order to directly photograph them which is an added bonus.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/22 04:43:22 (permalink)
Very interesting

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/23 11:22:06 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Very interesting

I thought so 😃

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/24 15:39:09 (permalink)

Modding Cable Combs:

I had to run SATA power to the OCZ Vector SSD which looked fine as it was but I wanted to organize them a bit more. I didn't have any 1 sided 5 pin cables combs so I decided to modify my own to make the SATA power cable more organized. I tool a CableMod 24-pin comb and cut into two pieces. Then I removed the other side and sanded it. I was able to test fit it and it works great. Finish work is still needed to get them looking perfect and I want to make a couple more. In the picture you can see that I tried a couple different ways to see which worked best. Now I have it down to what I like. I'll update once they're finished.

Running & Organizing Cables:

Now that most of the passthroughs are finished I can start running the CableMod cables and the rest of them needed throughout the build. There is a fair amount needed for this build but I planned routes really well ahead of time so it'll only require some minor modifications. The extra wiring will be placed in the floor cutout that I detailed earlier in the build log. I made the side notches in the cable tunnel a little but bugger to accommodate the power cables coming off the fan controller. This kept all the cables nice and organized.

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/30 20:18:42 (permalink)

Re-installing Controller Shroud:

Now that the custom made controller shroud is painted I can remount it back where it went. This gives the controller a much more finished and polished look. I also finished modding the cable combs sets so that they are all 1 sided 5 pin for the SATA power. These won't be seen much but on those few occasions; I want everything to look as clean and tidy as possible.

Final Metal Finishes:

All of the metal panels on this build are brushed. I started the process a while back but I want to do the fine detail using finer grit sandpaper and then polish all of them before they go back on. Some of these panels you only see a little bit of. I managed to get the main ones refinished and ready to be polished. I've starred polishing one of the panels so you can get an idea of the differences.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/04/30 23:45:20 (permalink)
Very nice. 

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/05/05 18:53:00 (permalink)

Painting Acrylic Passthrough Plate:

This was a quick paint job. All I needed to do was paint it flat black so it fit in with the rest of the case. I don't think I'll need to make anymore adjustments to it.

Re-installing Passthrough:

Now that I've started reassembling a lot of the watercooling I can start to see how the passthrough will look. I'm exremely happy already and it's not even complete yet. I used my new Dremel to round out a lot of the holes in each layer of the passthrough and it saved a lot of time. It's amazing how powerful this cordless Lithium-ion rotary tool is.

Painting Rear Shroud and PSU Shroud:

Now that it's time for final paint I can sand down the black primer a bit and go to town. I want these panels to looked a tiny bit above flat so I bought a matte clear coat to help protect the pieces. This should also help with the dreaded finger prints. Early on in wanted to see what these pieces would look like it black so I coated them in black primer. I've never tried to paint so long after laying down the primer coat but, it turned out great.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/05/06 00:36:52 (permalink)
Love the work going into this mod

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/05/06 12:52:43 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Love the work going into this mod

Thank you very much. It's nice to see all the hard work come together for sure.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/05/06 20:31:01 (permalink)

Amazing attention to detail, awesome. I'm loving the be quiet! SilentWings 3 fans - best fans I've ever used (using for case fans and the high speed PWM for radiator fans).

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Envious Mods
Superclocked Member
Re: IKONiK (Case Mod) - •Envious Mods• 2017/05/06 20:36:11 (permalink)
Nereus

Amazing attention to detail, awesome. I'm loving the be quiet! SilentWings 3 fans - best fans I've ever used (using for case fans and the high speed PWM for radiator fans).

Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words. I have mine setup the same way. The intake duct shape is really effective. I can't wait to see this build completed as well. I couldn't have picked a better motherboard for the build. The EVGA classified fits perfectly and really helps show off all the details work done.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile