EVGA

ICX 2.0 - has it been improved over 1.0?

Author
Kaiketsu
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/10 11:06:16 (permalink)
Hey friends.

Still rocking a 1080Ti FTW3, for two years now. I like the card, but it does have a certain... awkward sound profile. When the fans spin quickly, one can hear... ringing? rattling? It's faint, but it's there. Maybe it's the bearings. The fans move without any obstructions. All three fans emit that noise. So it's not from damage, obviously. I've read on reddit that more people complained about ICX 1.0 harmonics in general, so my conclusion is that it is simply designed that way.

But it's the ICX 1.0. Was it fixed in ICX 2.0 (= 2080Ti and such)?

I would love to buy 3080 from EVGA, but I can't say I'd like those weird sound harmonics again, the ringing sound I could do without.

Is there any owner of FTW3 here (1080Ti and 2080Ti) who can confirm ICX2.0 is free of this weird phenomenon?

I can only compare my card to MSI, which emits only air noise when spinning, no ringing noises, which is more pleasant to listen to (more neutral to the ears). Then again, MSI customer service is crap and I'd rather not buy their card, TBH.
Their cards to seem the no1 pick when it comes to both the noise level (dB) and the noise spectrum (frequencies that you hear when the fans are spinning). Not gonna lie, though I'm not a big fan of them.

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: ICX 2.0 - has it been improved over 1.0? 2020/09/10 11:16:13 (permalink)
    are you using the stock fan profile ?

Setting a manual curve with all fans at the same RPM can "improve sound quality"

If harmonics are an issue, avoid that specific RPM ... use step feature instead of curve

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: ICX 2.0 - has it been improved over 1.0? 2020/09/10 11:25:11 (permalink)
    With all the complaints about EVGA RTX 2000 series fan clicking noises, I would say that it wasn't perfected.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Kaiketsu
    • Total Posts : 14
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: ICX 2.0 - has it been improved over 1.0? 2020/09/10 11:35:21 (permalink)
    I am using a custom curve and my card is undervolted to reduce the temps.

Was the "clicking noise" resolved in later BIOS revisions? I read about that problem here on the forums and many owners said it has something to do with the fans going on and off near the temp threshold where the fan is expected to start.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: ICX 2.0 - has it been improved over 1.0? 2020/09/10 11:49:52 (permalink)
    Kaiketsu
    I am using a custom curve and my card is undervolted to reduce the temps.

Was the "clicking noise" resolved in later BIOS revisions? I read about that problem here on the forums and many owners said it has something to do with the fans going on and off near the temp threshold where the fan is expected to start.

I always run my fans at 30% minimum speed - buy not turning them off, you avoid the sound from the starting fans

Also case fans need to get the heat out of your case before the GPU recycles the heat ... to keep things cool as possible ... these icx cards - push most of the heat into the PC case

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile