I tried so hard to love Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Author
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/10/19 11:55:11 (permalink)

Privateer is in my top 10 games going back to as far as 1990.  This game is a spiritual successor to Privateer so I jumped it on straight away.

The problem for me is there is no strafing.   Now I don't know why they decided to go with the nasty modern feature of  letting you disable inertial control but NOT add strafing, but that one little thing missing utterly destroyed the whole game for me.

Also the mouse control was horrid, it feel like it was emulating a controller, and had the feel of deadzones if you moved your mouse too slow.   They did 0% effort on mouse control for the PC.  Especially too with the speed setting, very "digital" feeling, your speed could only be %25/%50/%75 etc. Ugh very non PC controls.

So without strafing and decent mouse control it totally ruined for me.  I was very saddened too because it looked like a perfect successor to privateer.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||

3 Replies Related Threads

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: I tried so hard to love Rebel Galaxy Outlaw 2020/10/19 12:20:47 (permalink)
    I played their previous game. Couldn't get into it. Was too campy. The soundtrack was great though.
    cylentstorm
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I tried so hard to love Rebel Galaxy Outlaw 2020/10/20 03:28:00 (permalink)
    I love both of these flawed-but-fun space pew-pews. Outlaw is definitely a step up, but Ye Olde OGRE engine is modded & stretched to the max here.

Using a board and rock to fly is strictly for masochists--especially with the utter lack of vertical, lateral, and retro (reverse) thrust. You definitely need a gamepad or HOTAS to get the most out of it. It was designed for a pad, so I rock a DS4. RGO has some strange quirks and omissions in control functionality and flight model, as well as some OG cockpit designs that take up far too much screen real estate. If we only had headlook or FOV settings, this would be less of an issue. Outside of that, the balancing is hit-or-miss with large numbers of deadly hostiles spawning in some "low-risk" scenarios, and vice versa.

Most of this can be fixed in future updates--which are planned (along with new content) as soon as Double Damage finishes ironing out some wrinkles in the recent console releases.

Yes, the soundtrack is very cool and adds a lot to the whole gritty space trucker/pirate vibe. I dig it. Overall, Outlaw is a blast with or without bud and/or beer. Personally, I never fly without it. ;)

Truth is a pathless land. -- Jiddu Krishnamurti
    Elite ID: E1NCCJYWRW66U46DODUE
    Associate Code: VA34F86IAN4384K
    yaggaz
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1509
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I tried so hard to love Rebel Galaxy Outlaw 2020/10/20 13:33:39 (permalink)

Agreed, as soon as I hit my 40s I learned what a beautiful companion to gaming a couple drinks can be ;)

As for gamepads, I have tried since the 90s to get into them, they are just not for me.  If a game ports to PC and doesn't support the base control scheme of keyboard and mouse really well, they lose me as a customer.    Freelancer, all the X games, worked perfectly for me on keyboard and mouse.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile