EVGA

I think my SuperNova 850 GS is failing.

Author
Mikael_Wartooth
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2017/01/05 14:37:18 (permalink)
My PC randomly will shut off and will not turn back on until I unplug the PSU for 20-40 minutes. Also, whenever I shut down my PC sometimes it will not turn back on until I again unplug the PSU and wait. Temps are all stable and normal. I know the 1050 GS had the same issues as referenced here: LINK

Anyone else have the same issues with their GS series?
post edited by Mikael_Wartooth - 2017/01/05 14:52:08

Follow me on Twitter: @ANN1H1L1ST

5 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: I think my SuperNova 850 GS is failing. 2017/01/05 14:57:39 (permalink)
    Mikael_Wartooth
    My PC randomly will shut off and will not turn back on until I unplug the PSU for 20-40 minutes. Also, whenever I shut down my PC sometimes it will not turn back on until I again unplug the PSU and wait. Temps are all stable and normal. I know the 1050 GS had the same issues as referenced here: LINK

Anyone else have the same issues with their GS series?

Hello,

that does indeed sound like an issue with the power supply.

To submit your RMA please visit the link below.

http://www.evga.com/support/rma.asp

Once the RMA is approved you will receive an RMA approval email with all relative information for completing the process.

panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I think my SuperNova 850 GS is failing. 2017/01/06 08:22:53 (permalink)
    When I was looking for PSU's I did thorough research. It was first 850 G2, then 850 GS before I had to settle for the marginally pricier 850 P2 because the two former models have notorious faults.

http://forums.evga.com/Su...2nd-unit-m2488599.aspx

Many on Newegg and Amazon made similar claims. I'd get rid of the GS and get something else.
    mrgoodkat
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: I think my SuperNova 850 GS is failing. 2017/10/08 14:21:30 (permalink)
    panzlock
    When I was looking for PSU's I did thorough research. It was first 850 G2, then 850 GS before I had to settle for the marginally pricier 850 P2 because the two former models have notorious faults.

http://forums.evga.com/Su...2nd-unit-m2488599.aspx

Many on Newegg and Amazon made similar claims. I'd get rid of the GS and get something else.

I just started the RMA process for my 850 GS and just before pulling the trigger on cross-ship (just to receive the same unit) I happened across the 21 one-egg reviews on Newegg all stating the same or similar issues, when searching for an answer to my fan issue. The fan kicks-on and shakes the entire PC and desk! Someone traced it back to the unit being fan-side-down which is incredibly common these days with cases almost always having bottom venting. Apparently this nano bearing fan hates being upside down. Or at least some of them do. 

Some people are claiming multiple RMA's with the same results when being returned the same GS PSU. Then it moves on to new cables, etc, with EVGA trying everything but the logical thing. At some point a lemon is a lemon and EVGA spending money on shipping is kinda ridiculous when they could just replace it with a different model. I've offered to even take a lesser unit as I have zero confidence in this thing. They just won't work with me. 

Their CS is incredibly responsive even on weekends but if it is not solving the issue then what good is the legendary EVGA customer service? How can they ignore 21 post-RMA reviews that are all well written and all exhibit the same issues? Be reasonable. 

post edited by mrgoodkat - 2017/10/08 18:22:24
    mrgoodkat
    Re: I think my SuperNova 850 GS is failing. 2017/10/11 11:54:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, after more than a dozen emails speaking with a different person each time (which isnt helpful) EVGA will do everything in their power to deny a problem with this PSU and suggest you are a moron. "All products have bad reviews." They simply will not listen to reason.

21 bad reviews on Newegg (only 60% positive overall), the majority after RMA. People continually sent back this thing. So I will be ditching this and taking my money elsewhere. Terrible RMA experience. After the ACX 2.0 thing Im no longer going to be loyal to EVGA. Terrible concept, anyhow. Be loyal to your wallet. They clearly are to theirs, to their increasing detriment in recent years.

I could only upload a three out of eight screencaps from Newegg reviews as Newegg will only let you look at reviews from your order history, of a product no longer being sold. EVGA cannot even see the reviews for their own product, which is massively unhelpful. As is the 500 kb upload cap on your website, in 2017, EVGA. You spoil us. I can assure you the other five images show the same pissed off customers experiencing the same issues. Unit won't power on without being power cycled, etc. Just 21 anomalous cases. Nothing to worry about.
    post edited by mrgoodkat - 2017/10/11 14:04:38

Attached Image(s)

mrgoodkat
    Re: I think my SuperNova 850 GS is failing. 2017/10/16 12:02:07 (permalink)
    Just got the RMA and it is a used or previous RMA unit with small scratches and stickers peeling off. Im really disappointed in EVGA. If their price beats someone else I might take the dive with them again but in situations like my 1070 purchase, where I paid $20 over the competitor to hopefully not have to RMA to Asia (if that is even a thing anymore, but I did wait 3 months on OCZ RAM once because of the Chinese New Year and vowed that was the last time), I won't be paying a premium to EVGA again. Which means I likely won't be doing business with them again because they are almost always at a premium.

Really just kind of sad. This is what they are known for and the first time I need to test their CS it is just misery, every step. Again, I just wanted to know if I could get something different, or I would cut my losses and put this on ebay for parts and buy a new PSU. It sounded like I could based on the last person I spoke with, and before I could get a response raising a flag about the part number not changing, as instructed to do (I never got a response), they shipped this turd. And now I have to pay shipping back to get my $124 back. What a joke.

I dont think I was being unreasonable at any point. I've gone over it in my head a bunch of times.

Edit: Just called them and the least they will do is send me a prepaid label back to them for clapped-out RMA unit they just sent me. Asked for proof I was told I might be sent something different and to contact them if it didn't update to a new part - "Well, he shouldn't have said that." Fine. I just want to be done with this and had proper info been given I never would have had to deal with it. They also have no system to know when they receive the return or when I will receive my $124 collateral back (more than I originally paid for the thing). Im really thinking of just doing a chargeback once I go through the trouble of making sure they get it back since they are "currently working on a system to track such things." I haven't dealt with an impressive or knowledgeable person this whole time. I dont even know if I would give them my money if they had the best price on something. But they wont, so Im safe in having to make that decision.
    post edited by mrgoodkat - 2017/10/16 13:41:52

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile