EVGA

I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Legendhidde
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
2016/01/21 05:50:57 (permalink)
I am so incredibly excited. My 980 Ti Hybrid kit that I installed has been giving me trouble since day one, the pump will not be quiet, every single component I connect to the EVGA AIO cooler runs at max speed. I asked for RMAs, I tried every single solution under the sun. Now, finally, after purchasing a mini GPU to 4-pin fan adapter from moddiy.com and connected it to my motherboard where I control the fans using Speedfan, my pump makes no noise anymore and it has even improved my cooling significantly (5-10 Celsius difference). I can finally recommend this product to people, I just wished EVGA supplied the mini-GPU to 4-pin fan adapter with the product or sold it on their side. Waiting for it to come from Hong Kong is a hell, it takes so long for it to arrive.

One little thing I would want to know, as an inexperienced person, can AIO pumps run backwards as well? Because I kinda feel like my GPU pump has been running the wrong way around until I got these adapters.
post edited by Legendhidde - 2016/01/21 05:55:15

39 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 06:11:19 (permalink)
    I do not believe that it is possible to make the pump run backwards; just like trying to make a case fan run backwards. I think the pump would start smoking and never work again, if you tried. It is a brushless pump with a bunch of polarity sensitive circuitry under the cover.
    Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 06:31:39 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I do not believe that it is possible to make the pump run backwards; just like trying to make a case fan run backwards. I think the pump would start smoking and never work again, if you tried. It is a brushless pump with a bunch of polarity sensitive circuitry under the cover.

Hey, thanks for explaining that! Then I wouldn't have any clue what made my pump quieter and my temperatures lower. It happened anyway and I'm really friggin happy.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 07:28:24 (permalink)
    Legendhidde
    ty_ger07

Hey, thanks for explaining that! Then I wouldn't have any clue what made my pump quieter and my temperatures lower. It happened anyway and I'm really friggin happy.

Could have been pump cavitation; that would explain the noise and Temp.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 07:34:05 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Legendhidde
    ty_ger07

Could have been pump cavitation; that would explain the noise and Temp.

You mean that air was trapped inside it? I don't believe it could've been, ran the PC in 3 directions for an hour to try and solve the pump noise. Nothing fixed it but these adapter cables.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 09:52:30 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you tried to bleed the system.

My reference to cavitation also would include the traditional "low pressure on backside of impeller" that causes the liquid to boil, creating air pockets.

Your reduced RPM "cure" seems to support that this is what was happening.

Could be design based; but, since not everyone has this issue,

I wonder if there is an unusual restriction in suction or pressure side

Glad you got it sorted

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 10:04:23 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Glad to hear you tried to bleed the system.

My reference to cavitation also would include the traditional "low pressure on backside of impeller" that causes the liquid to boil, creating air pockets.

Your reduced RPM "cure" seems to support that this is what was happening.

Could be design based; but, since not everyone has this issue,

I wonder if there is an unusual restriction in suction or pressure side

Glad you got it sorted

Thanks a lot for the explanation, it actually sounds like what could be going on. Now I can finally read in peace while my PC does some activities in the background.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 13:38:32 (permalink)

SuperConker
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 270
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 20:43:19 (permalink)
    After buying 4 Hybrid kits, only to find that they all make the same exact buzzing noise
    (i only needed two, but wanted to do a side by side compare between my two "old" kits, and the new ones)
    i am now very glad to see that this adapter cable can fix the noise they make.

As for people who claim their Hybrid kit doesn't make any buzzing noise...
    I'd say they are either not sensitive to this kind of noise, or they have other components
    in their computer that overshadows the noise, so they can't hear it.

Thank you very much Legendhidde, for testing and figuring this out.
    I already have a few of these cables on their way, and can't wait to fix this noise.
    (and it does indeed take a while to order these from Hong Kong lol).
    post edited by SuperConker - 2016/01/21 21:24:38

DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/21 23:22:46 (permalink)
    So what was the Fix ? Besides lowering the RPMs of the fans. Link to the Adapter cables for others having same problems would be Nice of you ! I havent had this with Problem My 980ti Hybrid. But I do have 3- 240mm fans running so it might cover up the noise.
    SuperConker
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 270
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 00:25:14 (permalink)
    The adapter can be ordered here: 
    http://www.moddiy.com/pro...nector-%28Male%29.html

This adapter allows you to lower the rpm of the fan, and also the voltage/rpm of the pump.
    post edited by SuperConker - 2016/01/22 00:28:29

Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 07:27:21 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    So what was the Fix ? Besides lowering the RPMs of the fans. Link to the Adapter cables for others having same problems would be Nice of you ! I havent had this with Problem My 980ti Hybrid. But I do have 3- 240mm fans running so it might cover up the noise.

What the guy below you said, my apologies that I didn't link the adapter myself.

Buy the adapter, remove the Y-splitter that the guide told you to install from your GPU and plug that into the adapter, plug this into a fan header on your motherboard and use Speedfan to set a custom pump curve to follow your GPU temperature. That way the pump is completely quiet at idle but when the fans and the cooling ramps up a bit they'll start flowing a bit harder.
    Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 07:31:33 (permalink)
    SuperConker
    After buying 4 Hybrid kits, only to find that they all make the same exact buzzing noise
    (i only needed two, but wanted to do a side by side compare between my two "old" kits, and the new ones)
    i am now very glad to see that this adapter cable can fix the noise they make.

As for people who claim their Hybrid kit doesn't make any buzzing noise...
    I'd say they are either not sensitive to this kind of noise, or they have other components
    in their computer that overshadows the noise, so they can't hear it.

Thank you very much Legendhidde, for testing and figuring this out.
    I already have a few of these cables on their way, and can't wait to fix this noise.
    (and it does indeed take a while to order these from Hong Kong lol).

No worries man! I'm just really happy to share my success story, I am so happy that my cards are finally quiet.

The buzzing noise comes from the pumps running at full speed at all times, I am not sure what causes this problem but the pump is supposed to follow the GPU fan curve that your GPU sets for you or that you set through any overclocking software. The EVGA pump doesn't do that, it just runs at full speed at all times which causes that buzzing noise. Some cards do work fine, I think. I think it's mostly EVGA reference cards or the cards that are sold as Hybrid cards that work fine.

Make sure when you ordered the cables you got the 4-pin mini GPU male to 4-pin fan connector male cable. 

This one: http://www.moddiy.com/products/4%252dPin-PWM-Fan-Connector-(Female)-to-4%252dPin-Mini-GPU-Fan-Connector-(Male).html

Then run the cable through the little hole that EVGA conveniently left in the shroud at the bottom.

I ordered mine around Christmas which took around 3 weeks to show up, your should arrive within 2 weeks as they should be working normally.
    dieandpuke
    • Total Posts : 64
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 09:02:23 (permalink)
    Quick question.  On my Hybrid I am running the fan cable to my fan controller which works great.  So your saying if I order this cable that is linked I can control the pump speed with my fan controller.  It would use a separate channel on the fan controller for the pump and another for the fan.

Would that work? 
    Thanks
    post edited by dieandpuke - 2016/02/05 18:33:51
    Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 09:07:19 (permalink)
    dieandpuke
    Quick question.  On my Hybrid I am using the running the fan cable to my fan controller which works great.  So your saying if I order this cable that is linked I can control the pump speed with my fan controller.  It would use a separate channel on the fan controller for the pump and another for the fan.

Would that work? 
    Thanks

You mean have the cable that you plugged into your GPU, the wire that goes into the GPU pump, plugged into your fan connector? As long as it accepts 4-pin connectors you should be golden. 4-pin connectors also fit in 2 or 3 pin connectors but that is only if they don't have some kind of shroud around it.

But yeah, add the pump to your fan controller and you can control it perfectly, do note that the pump speed should always be above 50% otherwise the pump will stop spinning, fans do this too but around a bit of a lower RPM. Also note that you cannot determine the RPM the pump is spinning at as it isn't PWM. You can control the voltage going to the pump and therefore the speed but you cannot monitor the speed. You have to rely on what your fan controller tells you. Speedfan tells me my pump is having 50% of the total voltage pumped into it and it's spinning like a charm, I have that set as minimum and 100% set as maximum.
    dieandpuke
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 09:50:55 (permalink)
    Legendhidde
    dieandpuke
    Quick question.  On my Hybrid I am using the running the fan cable to my fan controller which works great.  So your saying if I order this cable that is linked I can control the pump speed with my fan controller.  It would use a separate channel on the fan controller for the pump and another for the fan.

Would that work? 
    Thanks

You mean have the cable that you plugged into your GPU, the wire that goes into the GPU pump, plugged into your fan connector? As long as it accepts 4-pin connectors you should be golden. 4-pin connectors also fit in 2 or 3 pin connectors but that is only if they don't have some kind of shroud around it.

But yeah, add the pump to your fan controller and you can control it perfectly, do note that the pump speed should always be above 50% otherwise the pump will stop spinning, fans do this too but around a bit of a lower RPM. Also note that you cannot determine the RPM the pump is spinning at as it isn't PWM. You can control the voltage going to the pump and therefore the speed but you cannot monitor the speed. You have to rely on what your fan controller tells you. Speedfan tells me my pump is having 50% of the total voltage pumped into it and it's spinning like a charm, I have that set as minimum and 100% set as maximum.

I will try a better explanation!  On the hybrid you have the GPU and the AIO pump- connecting those you have the two coolant lines and a third wire for the AIO fan. That wire has a connector located halfway between the pump and GPU. I separated the connector that controls the AIO fan and attached that to the fan controller. This way the fan controller powers the AIO fan instead of the GPU. 

Now my question is> the adapter cable that is listed above (I ordered a couple BTW). Would I connect that directly to the GPU and then connect that to my extra fan controller channel?  I am not sure where this cable gets attached on the gpu but I am sure when I look at it I should be able to figure it out.
    I hope this clears up what I was trying to say. 

Thanks for the fast reply!

Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 10:01:47 (permalink)
    dieandpuke
    Legendhidde
    dieandpuke

Would that work? 
    Thanks

I will try a better explanation!  On the hybrid you have the GPU and the AIO pump- connecting those you have the two coolant lines and a third wire for the AIO fan. That wire has a connector located halfway between the pump and GPU. I separated the connector that controls the AIO fan and attached that to the fan controller. This way the fan controller powers the AIO fan instead of the GPU. 

Now my question is> the adapter cable that is listed above (I ordered a couple BTW). Would I connect that directly to the GPU and then connect that to my extra fan controller channel?  I am not sure where this cable gets attached on the gpu but I am sure when I look at it I should be able to figure it out.

Oh I get it. Did you assemble your EVGA Hybrid cooler or did you buy a readily made graphics card with the cooler already attached? You need to remove the GPU shroud, which can be done with 8 screws around the top, bottom and right side of the GPU then you will see a wire coming out of the pump. One wire is the fan connector, you can conceal that inside the shroud if you want to, the other is the GPU pump with a Y-splitter for the GPU fan. Remove that whole cable, plug the GPU fan directly into the connector you just removed the wire from the pump out of. Then you should be left with only the wire, that has two ends, sticking out of the AIO pump. The GPU fan should be attached to a little white connector on the PCB itself. The wire on the far left in this picture is what I'm talking about. http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/evga_geforce_gtx_titan_x_hybrid_1.jpg

You can see the GPU fan itself is connected with that little "braided" cable and there is a different wire just hanging loose there, that's the one you want.

Run this black wire coming from the AIO out of the PSU shroud using the handy little hole on the bottom of the shroud that EVGA left there. http://static.evga.com/articles/00920/images/header/980-Hybrid-Header-PD.png

Around the bottom left of the card there is a little hole, run the wire out of there. then use the adapter you got and make sure you got the right adapter, the one I linked, if you did that you should only be able to plug one of the connectors on that wire into the adapter. If you have done that you now have a 4-pin pump cable. Plug that in wherever you want and you can control it easily.
    dieandpuke
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 10:18:46 (permalink)
    Legendhidde
    dieandpuke
    Legendhidde
    dieandpuke

Would that work? 
    Thanks

Oh I get it. Did you assemble your EVGA Hybrid cooler or did you buy a readily made graphics card with the cooler already attached? You need to remove the GPU shroud, which can be done with 8 screws around the top, bottom and right side of the GPU then you will see a wire coming out of the pump. One wire is the fan connector, you can conceal that inside the shroud if you want to, the other is the GPU pump with a Y-splitter for the GPU fan. Remove that whole cable, plug the GPU fan directly into the connector you just removed the wire from the pump out of. Then you should be left with only the wire, that has two ends, sticking out of the AIO pump. The GPU fan should be attached to a little white connector on the PCB itself. The wire on the far left in this picture is what I'm talking about. 

You can see the GPU fan itself is connected with that little "braided" cable and there is a different wire just hanging loose there, that's the one you want.

Run this black wire coming from the AIO out of the PSU shroud using the handy little hole on the bottom of the shroud that EVGA left there. 

Around the bottom left of the card there is a little hole, run the wire out of there. then use the adapter you got and make sure you got the right adapter, the one I linked, if you did that you should only be able to plug one of the connectors on that wire into the adapter. If you have done that you now have a 4-pin pump cable. Plug that in wherever you want and you can control it easily.

My card is an actual Hybrid.  I did take it apart once to put the new lighted shroud that EVGA was nice to give away. 

I think I have your instructions pretty well set.  Thanks for taking the time to help me.
    Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/22 10:25:27 (permalink)
    dieandpuke
    Legendhidde
    dieandpuke
    Legendhidde
    dieandpuke

Would that work? 
    Thanks

Oh I get it. Did you assemble your EVGA Hybrid cooler or did you buy a readily made graphics card with the cooler already attached? You need to remove the GPU shroud, which can be done with 8 screws around the top, bottom and right side of the GPU then you will see a wire coming out of the pump. One wire is the fan connector, you can conceal that inside the shroud if you want to, the other is the GPU pump with a Y-splitter for the GPU fan. Remove that whole cable, plug the GPU fan directly into the connector you just removed the wire from the pump out of. Then you should be left with only the wire, that has two ends, sticking out of the AIO pump. The GPU fan should be attached to a little white connector on the PCB itself. The wire on the far left in this picture is what I'm talking about. 

Run this black wire coming from the AIO out of the PSU shroud using the handy little hole on the bottom of the shroud that EVGA left there. 

My card is an actual Hybrid.  I did take it apart once to put the new lighted shroud that EVGA was nice to give away. 

I think I have your instructions pretty well set.  Thanks for taking the time to help me.

No worries man! Congratulations on the shroud, I'm in the process of ordering one as well.

As for the instructions, it's the least I could do. If I were having a problem I'd want a solution or instructions on how to solve it as well. I hope I saved some people, including you, from headaches either now or in the future. I know how hopeless I felt when I discovered my problems.
    cattlebruisr
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/24 13:37:33 (permalink)
    Legendhidde
    Make sure when you ordered the cables you got the 4-pin mini GPU male to 4-pin fan connector male cable. 

This one: 

Male to Male or Female to Male?
    Legendhidde
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/24 13:43:56 (permalink)
    cattlebruisr
    Legendhidde

This one: 

Male to Male or Female to Male?

Sorry about that, the one I linked is female on the 4-pin fan connector and male on the GPU fan connector. Get the one I linked, that is the guaranteed right one.
    deejaykristoff
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/01/27 07:43:46 (permalink)
    look here ;) i already change the rad to a 360 rad, almost no heat :)

dieandpuke
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/12 15:21:27 (permalink)
    Got the adapter cable from oversea's.  MUCH MUCH better to have pump at 50-70%. I have both push pull fans and the pump on fan controller now.
    Thanks again Legenhidde for the walk thru. 

I ordered 4 of the adapter cables.  Just in case
    cmoney408
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/15 10:57:31 (permalink)
    does anyone know the minimum power required/recommended to power the pump and rad fan?

if i install a hybrid kit per the directions, what happens if i set the blower to 30% all the time? will that provide enough power to the pump? at what point would the pump not run? or can this burn out the pump?
    dieandpuke
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/15 11:33:38 (permalink)
    Be careful when you say blower.  Too many the blower is the type of fan that is on the GPU.  The % you use on the blower fan has nothing to do with the AIO pump speed.  

For example!  I have the cable mentioned in this thread.  I run push pull with the fans.  I use 3 separate channels on my fan controller. One each for the pump, AIO push fan and pull fan.  At idle I run fans at 40%. (Lowest my fan controller will allow). Pump at 50-55%.  (I do not know rpms or power.) Playing a high end game I might go to 70% on everything.  Still pretty quiet.  ( I wear headphones). 

I have a custom fan curve for the gpu blower fan in msi ab of 22% up to 35C- 35% up to 45C then 40 on anything higher.  At 40% is when I can hear it over the rest of the case fans.  Which then defeats the idea of AIO cooling. Remember this has nothing to do with pump speed.  As far as I can tell the pump runs at 100% all the time. Which is the big issue with everyone.  That is what this thread is for.  I fixed mine in less then 10 minutes without removing the AIO pump from Chassis. Just took out card and set on a shoe box and took it apart and 3 connections later I was done. 

Works very well.
    cmoney408
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/15 13:02:25 (permalink)
    exactly, the blower. the pump and rad fan share the blowers header. so setting blower to 30% would effect everything using that header correct?
    nunzmon
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/15 14:24:13 (permalink)
    cmoney408
    exactly, the blower. the pump and rad fan share the blowers header. so setting blower to 30% would effect everything using that header correct?

NO ......you have to look at the wiring and you'll see  

Asus Rampage IV blk 4930k @ 4.6 1.29v
    4x4g corsair Dominator gt ram 2400 9.11.11.31 1t
    NVidia Titan XP hybrid Asus pg348q monitor
    cmoney408
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/15 14:34:16 (permalink)
    the wiring install guide shows:

gpu blower header -> splitter ->
    1) stock blower
    2) to pump -> to rad fan

so all get power from gpu blower fan header? or am i mistaken?

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/980_Ti_HYBRID_Installation_Guide.pdf - step 12
    post edited by cmoney408 - 2016/02/15 15:01:17
    cmoney408
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/15 15:25:50 (permalink)
    i see the confusion. when i said "if i install a hybrid kit per the directions" a few comments up. i meant per the stock hybrid cooler directions. but that being said my questions is still the same whether you are using a fan controller or gpu fan header.

does anyone know (facts) what the minimum amount of power the pump requires to run properly/safely? for instance will 20% power it? will 20% burn out the motor? i mean it seems most people are just guessing/assuming how much power to give it?

i would probably use the adapter mention in here to run the pump to a fan header on my mobo. but i would still want to know if i should leave that header at 100% at all times or if 50% is safe/quitter/recommended/allowed.

on top of that adapter, i would buy "CAB010" from the same site. so that i could control the blower and rad fan together using after burner. 
    dieandpuke
    Re: I finally, finally fixed the pump noise and buzzing of my 980 Ti Hybrid! 2016/02/16 12:46:58 (permalink)
    I would not want to have blower and rad fan running off of same source.  I never have had blower running faster then 40%.  35 is average while gaming. I set a custom fan profile for it.  However, playing a high end game like Crysis 2- Far Cry4 you may want rad fan to be a 70%. 

Gaming I usually am at 35% blower, 65% rad fan and 60% pump.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile