EVGA

I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s)

Author
istorm
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/05/11 00:58:16 (permalink)
Hi Everyone-

I have been working at this issue that seems like it has existed FOREVER.. I have posted on other forums and they don't have a clue… They just tell me to do basic stuff.. 

Please help if you can guys/gals.. 

Here is the issue:

I have a TV Capture Card that is designed for use with PCI-E x1 Slots (there are 2 on my board).

I have SLI GTX 470's installed as well, but I took one out and uninstalled/reinstalled the newest driver for the Single GTX 470 I am currently running for troubleshooting purposes.

The issue is that Windows Hangs on the Logo screen (starting windows with the windows icon) when I install the Capture Card in either of the PCI-E x1 slots on my board.  Yes, I have gotten a brand new capture card replacement to make sure it wasn't the card.  And I can get the capture card to work on one of my 8x slots, but it creates a whole new problem where when I have my GTX 470 in the 16x PCI-e slot, it boots my computer up with pixels scattered every where in all different color schemes.. so you can't even recognize what is going on UNTIL Windows boots up.  So obviously this Capture card needs to be in the PCI- x1 slot.. Everything is perfect until it gets to the Windows Logo and then it won't start up .  SAFE Mode hangs as well.. 

My PC is not overclocked and runs Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, x58 EVGA SLI3, Intel i7 980x, h70 Corsair, 12GB Patriot Viper DDR3 RAM, 40GB Crucial SSD (for windows install), 1TB WD Caviar Black, AHCI mode with bios is up to date, graphic card driver is up to date.. etc etc

Any ideas guys/gals?  Please!

25 Replies Related Threads

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7806
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 01:22:26 (permalink)
    Yeah i've got nothing....I have the FTW3 board and was unable to use the single (and only) x1 slot since the GPU's block them all. If it was available and I didn't get rid of the TV board I would try it out and see if I get the same issues. Either way the first thing i think of is a driver issue. If it's a Haupage I've always had driver issues with those cards that was never fixed until I found a third party driver.

Other than driver you would think bad card, but you have already replaced that. I don't think there are any bios features you would change for it. But do post which TV card your using, may help out a bit

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 01:31:55 (permalink)
    cdragonm

Yeah i've got nothing....I have the FTW3 board and was unable to use the single (and only) x1 slot since the GPU's block them all. If it was available and I didn't get rid of the TV board I would try it out and see if I get the same issues. Either way the first thing i think of is a driver issue. If it's a Haupage I've always had driver issues with those cards that was never fixed until I found a third party driver.

Other than driver you would think bad card, but you have already replaced that. I don't think there are any bios features you would change for it. But do post which TV card your using, may help out a bit

Hey, I'm using an AverTV HD DVR HDMI 720p/1080i Capture Card.  Yeah, I did replace it already and it does work in an 8x slot, but then I get the issue of having scrambled start up screen from the time you boot it up, until Windows starts (then it is fine).. but this is probably due to the fact that this card is designed and HIGHLY encouraged by AverTV that you use one of the PCI-Express x1 slots.  Which makes sense since there is no scrambled screens, but it won't boot into windows..

Ideally, I want to use my SLI GTX 470's (that is why I bought them) and have the card in the last PCI-E x1 slot ..  It can't have anything to do with the driver because the driver isn't installed yet... You are supposed to install the card, then boot up and install the drivers... I did try to install the driver, then try to boot up again.. and the same issue happened.. I have had no problems with the AverTV drivers though. 

I just wonder if both of my PCI-E x1 sockets are bad or something?  Or it has something to do with installing Windows in AHCI mode?  Everything is stock on my PC though ..  Would reinstalling windows again help potentially?  Could I switch to IDE mode without reinstalling windows?  I didn't think so since you usually have to install window in the mode you want.. Maybe I have an AHCI mode setting wrong?  I am just out of ideas..

Hope you guys/gals can help :(
    Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 01:55:12 (permalink)
    It's worth a shot to do the but reinstall onto the 1tb drive and leave the SSD out for the time being. If anything you just wasted 30 minutes, so I don't see the harm in trying. But also leave the card in while it installs. If the install comes across any issues re-do it without the card in.

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 02:08:52 (permalink)
    cdragonm

It's worth a shot to do the but reinstall onto the 1tb drive and leave the SSD out for the time being. If anything you just wasted 30 minutes, so I don't see the harm in trying. But also leave the card in while it installs. If the install comes across any issues re-do it without the card in.

That means I will need to back up that 1tb drive (its almost full now) lol.. Should I do the reinstall with AHCI or IDE mode?
    Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 02:10:09 (permalink)
    IDE since the SSD is the only thing that requires it I believe. Instead of doing the back-up do you have a spare HDD layin around? 

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 02:58:40 (permalink)
    cdragonm

IDE since the SSD is the only thing that requires it I believe. Instead of doing the back-up do you have a spare HDD layin around? 

Yeah, actually I do have some spare hard drives.. I will do this first thing this afternoon after I wake up :)

If you or any one else thinks of any other solutions, please let me know!!! I'm really trying to fix this issue :(
    KMoore4318
    Pistoj Doulos Unum Pluribus
    • Total Posts : 17850
    • Ribbons : 238
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 03:19:46 (permalink)
    I suspect you will find it\s some king of resource conflict, with plug and play settings, there is an option in BIOS that you can change, But I have never used it.

Just clink Link to Register >  My Affiliate Code:VTJPDC4OMB 
    1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    2)980X AX1200 E760(77) 980 ti
    3) E770 (77)2(590) SLI AX1200 
    4) X299 FTW K, 9980XE 2 2080 supers on AX1200
    istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 03:27:47 (permalink)
    KMoore4318

I suspect you will find it\s some king of resource conflict, with plug and play settings, there is an option in BIOS that you can change, But I have never used it.

What BIOS setting are you referring to though?  Are you familiar with this board's BIOS settings?  You have been very helpful before so I suspect that you will be helpful this time too :)  I would like to try this before I reinstall windows completely.  

Please let me know what the BIOS setting is . thank you
    KMoore4318
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 03:38:11 (permalink)
    it's under PnP/PCI Configurations just above PC Health Status,on first bios setup page; but I have never used it. so I can not tell you how it works.

1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 04:06:52 (permalink)
    KMoore4318

it's under PnP/PCI Configurations just above PC Health Status,on first bios setup page; but I have never used it. so I can not tell you how it works.

So you don't have any idea?  I mean.. You would know better than I.. I don't know much at all about the BIOS settings.. I just know how to build a nice Rig.  lol .

It looks like from what you told me.. You want me to manually configure these IRQ Resoures . 

It says :  

IRQ-5   
           15  assigned to    [PCI Device]  is the default but you can assign them to [Reserved]  

Which one would be the IRQ that I would be looking for ?  The slot I'm using for the card is Slot [2] currently .. Its the First PCI-E x1 slot . So its right after the 16x slot.  

Also there are other settings in there that I tried to change like PCI/VGA Palette Snoop, Reset Configuration, and Init Display Slot (Changed it from PCI to PCI-Express) < What does that do anyways?

Any help on this BIOS stuff would be great.. so far I have tried changing random things to no avail.. I don't know what I'm doing though :/ Please help as much as you can with this stuff. 

Thanks so much

KMoore4318
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 04:26:29 (permalink)
    Honestly I have never even gone into that section of the BIOS, I do know that graphic cards seem to like 5 and 7 and that if two things end up on the same IRQ or DMI, you get issues, also sometines PnP (Plug and Play) will assign two to the same if it considers them low use, Problem is when you start using them they become high use, IRQ is a interupt request to the cpu, it tells the cpu to stop processing what it is doing, and start whatever is assigned, as it's new priority. Back in the day, sound blaster cards use to like to share with graphic cards, and that would cause all kinds of issues. also keep in mind, I'm just guessing here, and that I have not used a TV capture card since back in the day of the All in wonder card, APG. 4x/8x
    I hope someone with more knowlage chimes in, I know enough to be dangerous. since I'n not sure, I would rather not make suggestions.
    post edited by KMoore4318 - 2011/05/11 04:29:38

1)965 V-8  E761(77)
    istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 04:43:24 (permalink)
    KMoore4318

Honestly I have never even gone into that section of the BIOS, I do know that graphic cards seem to like 5 and 7 and that if two things end up on the same IRQ or DMI, you get issues, also sometines PnP (Plug and Play) will assign two to the same if it considers them low use, Problem is when you start using them they become high use, IRQ is a interupt request to the cpu, it tells the cpu to stop processing what it is doing, and start whatever is assigned, as it's new priority. Back in the day, sound blaster cards use to like to share with graphic cards, and that would cause all kinds of issues. also keep in mind, I'm just guessing here, and that I have not used a TV capture card since back in the day of the All in wonder card, APG. 4x/8x
    I hope someone with more knowlage chimes in, I know enough to be dangerous. since I'n not sure, I would rather not make suggestions.

I really hope someone can chime in too.. This is extremely frustrating to say the least.. At least we know its not the capture card since it does work in the 8x or 16x slot .. Its just there is that other issue of the screen being all messed up that way.. 

I would really like to figure this out.. on those IRQ settings.. Default, they are all set to PCI and they have the numbers that correlate to each one.. but I have no idea which ones correlate to which PCI slots.  

The Init Display Slot is also set to PCI default, but there is a PCI-E option?  I'm not sure what that does..

Hopefully someone will chime in .. Lets hope at least lol.. When I get through with work in a few hours, I'm going to try to do a fresh Windows install on another Hard Drive and do it to IDE mode .. See if that does anything lol. 

::Crosses fingers:: that some one can help! lol thanks though
    Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 10:44:21 (permalink)
    IRQ conflicts are a good possibility. Didn't think about those....was early :P Anyway, if your unsure of the bios settings and what they do or mean Google is your friend (as well as your boards manual). The only time I had to mess with IRQ was back when I had an ISA SB 16, so i'm not going to be much help on that.

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 12:19:26 (permalink)
    cdragonm

IRQ conflicts are a good possibility. Didn't think about those....was early :P Anyway, if your unsure of the bios settings and what they do or mean Google is your friend (as well as your boards manual). The only time I had to mess with IRQ was back when I had an ISA SB 16, so i'm not going to be much help on that.

I've been researching those IRQ conflicts and cannot find any that tell me which resource relates to what slot.. My manual just shows the IRQ then a - with a number of each.  Then they are all default at [PCI] but you can change them to [Reserved] if you like. I tried changing random ones to Reserved and nothing changed.  Would any of these other BIOS settings be something I would need to change?

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 14:15:40 (permalink)
    I also Reinstalled Windows on a Brand New Drive.. and I get the same thing, except this time, I actually get a Mouse Cursor and a black screen after the Logo, but still can't get into Windows. Any more ideas?  It has to be something with the way that the BIOS is configuring the PCI slots.

burro1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 618
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 15:27:16 (permalink)
    Ahoy istorm,

Not sure this is helpful, but it deals with the same bios area Kmoore referred to. 
    Quote taken from
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=923087
    Post #11

"OOOOOOOHHHHHh My God!!!  I got it...found my fix.  I'll detail it especially since my problem has occured to others.  Hopefully my deadends and errors will help someone else.

Tried to play an online game and had no sound...hadn't played in a few days.  In that interval I had updated BIOS and Win 7 SP1 loaded (automatically).  Tried many options as noted including RMA'ing card, two OS installations, and new sound card (it's going back).

Apparently sound cards (not just Xonar) have had problems of randomly failing to be recognized.  The driver refuses to load or install.  This is due to overwriting of the EEPROM.  This website has the fix: 
    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure

On first OS install I neglected to disable automatic updating (so it updated) and could  not tell if SP1 was the cause.  Reinstalled again but this time remembered to disable updating and all I connected was the sound card to ensure no other conflicts.
    Found in Device Manager a yellow triangle with exclamation point at PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge.  Double clicking it says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use".  Disabling various devices did not free up any resources.

Some fixes online suggested changing IRQ's or disabling COM ports.  This lead me to...an EVGA posting... about updating the EVGA 758 BIOS.  In BIOS under "PnP/PCI Configurations" is "Reserved RC for Bridge".  On that BIOS it is "Enabled" but not on the BIOS that I just updated on my 762 mobo.  I enabled it and HALLELUJAH!!!!  XONAR HDAV IS RECOGNIZED.
    Took a lot of pissing and fuming to get this.  Hope others don't have to.  And thanks to everyone that offered advice."

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 15:33:37 (permalink)
    WOAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I enabled that setting and BOOOM!!!! It booted for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow!!!! I have been eyeballing that setting, but didn't think much of it!!!! That's it.. It automatically installed my driver and everything upon startup!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :))))))))))))))))))))))))))  I'm sooooo happpppy now!!! 

Thanksssssss sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    techno-mancer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 290
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 15:46:10 (permalink)
    I smell a BR for burrito1!

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 16:12:55 (permalink)
    techno-mancer

I smell a BR for burrito1!

Hehe. What is a BR?  

Also, now that I have this running, the only place that I am going to be able to put my other GTX 470 is going to be in that 3rd slot. So I will have the first GTX 470 in the first (16x) slot, 2nd GTX 470 in the 3rd (8x) slot, and then the capture card in the 6th (1x) slot.  Is that going to be too much heat with them pretty much on top of each other?  The SLI bridge is going to look pretty funky too lol.. Are there shorter SLI bridges for this kind of configuration?

Also, is there anything other than going to the Invidia Control Panel and Enabling SLI that I have to do?  I noticed that there were something called "SLI Patches" on here.. What do those do?  Should I install one on top of the drivers that I already have?  The drivers that Device Manager Reports are  "NVIDIA" 8.17.12.6658 from 1/7/2011. Is this the correct ones?

Also my BIOS version for this SLI3 x58 board is 1.0.0.1012 . Is This correct?

Finally, if I am running Dual Monitors, does it matter what graphics card that I hook them up to?  I have on HD monitor that is DVI and another that is HDMI (so I have to use the mini hdmi to HDMI adapter).  
    And is it normal for monitors to show up as "Generic PnP Monitor." Both of them show up as that and one is an ASUS 27" LED Monitor and the other is a LG 21.5" LED 1080p monitor.  

Thanks again soooooo much guys :)

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 19:36:29 (permalink)
    You should be ok on heat. If the sli bridge is the ribbon style it will work fine too. A BR is a Blue Ribbon given to helpful folks. Each BR is worth 2 EVGA bux good towards the purchase of your next evga item though EVGA's stores. The Sli patches I want to say just support Sli in older games, or ones that don't normally use it (not too sure) Not sure about the bios version,  have to check the updates for that, and I think you have to hook them to the top card. Yeah it's normal for them to show up as generic. Windows detects one of my acer monitors but not the other so I install the driver though I'm not sure it really does much.

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 20:13:02 (permalink)
    cdragonm

You should be ok on heat. If the sli bridge is the ribbon style it will work fine too. A BR is a Blue Ribbon given to helpful folks. Each BR is worth 2 EVGA bux good towards the purchase of your next evga item though EVGA's stores. The Sli patches I want to say just support Sli in older games, or ones that don't normally use it (not too sure) Not sure about the bios version,  have to check the updates for that, and I think you have to hook them to the top card. Yeah it's normal for them to show up as generic. Windows detects one of my acer monitors but not the other so I install the driver though I'm not sure it really does much.

Who gives him that Blue Ribbon?  That's pretty neat :) You were all VERY helpful! I dont see any drivers that I can get for the monitors.. That's where that I can't even get a driver for these monitors.. Then again, this ASUS monitor has a Webcam that I have never been able to get to work and its the newer 27" LED 1080p!

Thanks again soooooo much!
    Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 20:34:13 (permalink)
    Forum Mods give out the BR's. Check ASUS site about the webcam in the monitor. May need something separate. It didn't come with a disc?

istorm
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2011/05/11 21:13:34 (permalink)
    cdragonm

Forum Mods give out the BR's. Check ASUS site about the webcam in the monitor. May need something separate. It didn't come with a disc?

Well all you deserve it in my book :) You are all such a great help! I am finally able to have an installed Cap Card with SLI .. It is nice to know that I didn't just put a GTX 470 in the closet to rot away hahaha. It game with a disc, but it didn't accomplish anything lol.. I don't even think the Webcam works.. Oh well though .. Not too worried about it since I dont need the webcam and have one on my Macbook Pro anyways. :)

Cheers everyone!!!
    klinja04
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2017/03/06 19:55:04 (permalink)
    Check your memory low gap in BIOS set it to 3g
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:I DESPERATELY need help with my EVGA x58 SLI3 PCI-e x1 Slot(s) 2017/03/06 20:01:18 (permalink)
    klinja04
    Check your memory low gap in BIOS set it to 3g

This thread is 6 years old now. I have a feeling he found a solution by now.      ;)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile