Hybrid kit hitting 80c+

Author
Shikhee
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/06/25 11:00:59 (permalink)
Just trying to gather potential solutions before I pull it out and torque the **** out of all the screws again. I don't really want to take it apart just to look at the thermal paste distribution but am if torquing the screws dont drop temps. It idles just fine around 27-28c

12 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 11:58:05 (permalink)
    Did you put your finger on the tubes or the pump/block itself and make sure the pump is pumping? You should be able to feel a little bit of vibe or water moving. Are the rgb and fan working? Rad fans are working? It sounds like the waters not moving to me, but depending on the rest of your build and how hot it is in the room its in etc.... it could be alot of things. PLEASE touch a piece of metal before you stick your hands in your case and discharge any static. You dont need any more problems right?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 12:11:38 (permalink)
    The screws have springs .... tightening the screws does Not Help

--> Keep the cooler Flat/ Level after applying the thermal past & Make sure the copper heat spreader stays in place under the cold plate

How is the radiator located in your PC ?

If air is trapped in the Pump:

1) Hold the PC, so the Radiator is the high point, with the hoses at the bottom & shake lightly

2) Unmount the radiator & disconnect the rad fan (to be finger safe) - start PC, then shake radiator with hoses at bottom & Rad above the PC - this is usually easiest if PC is on its side, after a few minutes the radiator will get Warm ... you should be do lone before that - now Shutdown PC, plug fan(s) in & mount radiator

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Shikhee
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 12:28:23 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Did you put your finger on the tubes or the pump/block itself and make sure the pump is pumping? You should be able to feel a little bit of vibe or water moving. Are the rgb and fan working? Rad fans are working? It sounds like the waters not moving to me, but depending on the rest of your build and how hot it is in the room its in etc.... it could be alot of things. PLEASE touch a piece of metal before you stick your hands in your case and discharge any static. You dont need any more problems right?

I can feel the tubes vibrate a little, not sure how much they're supposed to/not supposed to vibrate. Fans I replaced with some noctuas, they all work, 80c+ seems excessive, I was getting that on air so clearly something isn't making contact/pumping/ etc

Cool GTX

--> Keep the cooler Flat/ Level after applying the thermal past & Make sure the copper heat spreader stays in place under the cold plate

1) Hold the PC, so the Radiator is the high point, with the hoses at the bottom & shake lightly

2) Unmount the radiator & disconnect the rad fan (to be finger safe) - start PC, then shake radiator with hoses at bottom & Rad above the PC - this is usually easiest if PC is on its side, after a few minutes the radiator will get Warm ... you should be do lone before that - now Shutdown PC, plug fan(s) in & mount radiator

Radiator is at the top of the case. Could any of this be related to the orientation of the card itself? I'm using the seasonic q704 case which is inverted, so the card itself is upside down from the typical orientation. 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 12:44:36 (permalink)
    Shikhee
    wmmills

I can feel the tubes vibrate a little, not sure how much they're supposed to/not supposed to vibrate. Fans I replaced with some noctuas, they all work, 80c+ seems excessive, I was getting that on air so clearly something isn't making contact/pumping/ etc

Cool GTX

Radiator is at the top of the case. Could any of this be related to the orientation of the card itself? I'm using the seasonic q704 case which is inverted, so the card itself is upside down from the typical orientation. 

Generally, the orientation of the GPU doesn't matter. The tubes on the rad should be toward the bottom so any air in the AIO (there is always some air) is trapped in the top expansion tank and not pulled through the pump. Your issue reads more like poor contact with the die or not enough TIM. A bit of squeeze out around the GPU die is not a bad thing. Or bit too much TIM is better than too little.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 12:47:28 (permalink)
    Which direction are your Rad fans blowing?  As intake or exhaust?  Not to be a wise guy here, but you said you replaced the Rad fans.  Did you mount them in the right direction.  Honest mistakes can happen...

I could see the GPU's orientation contributing to a couple degree's possibly depending on what may be right above where the fans are drawing air from.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 13:02:22 (permalink)
    Shikhee
    wmmills

Cool GTX

Yes, you will feel the pumping/water movement a little, so thats good. 80+ is a bit high, but it also depends on which card you have, ambients and what you are doing with it too. Bdary's question about fan orientation is important to answer also. If the pumps working, which it sounds like it is, then your left with the rad cooling or the blocks mounting.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Shikhee
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 13:16:33 (permalink)
    bdary
    Which direction are your Rad fans blowing?  As intake or exhaust?  Not to be a wise guy here, but you said you replaced the Rad fans.  Did you mount them in the right direction.  Honest mistakes can happen...

I could see the GPU's orientation contributing to a couple degree's possibly depending on what may be right above where the fans are drawing air from.

They exhaust and they move a lot of air, they're the industrial nf-f12s
    wmmills
    Shikhee
    wmmills

Cool GTX

Yes, you will feel the pumping/water movement a little, so thats good. 80+ is a bit high, but it also depends on which card you have, ambients and what you are doing with it too. Bdary's question about fan orientation is important to answer also. If the pumps working, which it sounds like it is, then your left with the rad cooling or the blocks mounting.

Its the rtx 3080 ti ftw3 ultra, I know it's a hot card but 80c is what I got with it with the air cooler on it. I'm going to check if everything is tight and if that doesn't help repaste, and if that doesn't help get a new hybrid kit. Ambient is quite cool, probably 22c, and this is under 4k gaming load.
    post edited by Shikhee - 2022/06/25 13:17:51
    kraade
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2363
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/25 13:23:32 (permalink)
    You should be able to tell what the problem is with just the basics, start there first.
    Is your water warm when you see 80 Degrees, I've had 3 of these things and never ever got one to go over 60 and then the Rad was pumping out MAJOR heat , IF not - Its contact block is not making good contact or the pump is stuck or off or bad, maybe the connection pulled loose, did you get the right header , what kind of heat feedback across the card do you see on PX1. Are you sure the Vram plate was oriented correctly? that could cause bad contact... And Tighter is not better on these kits: you can distort the card by going too tight and get worse contact Snug to firm is where your screw should be , not blistering tight. they are machined to sit flat with very tight tolerances so small thing can cause big problems .

And check what Cool GTX said, good luck and check back with us
    Shikhee
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/26 13:25:45 (permalink)
    Update, took the card out and tightened 2 of the gpu bracket screws about a quarter to half turn, temps went from 84-85c to 67-68 in GoW. I noticed before my rad was pumping out some decent heat, but not like it should have been. Seems to have just been a block contact issue. Idle temps seem about the same, maybe down 1c or 2
    post edited by Shikhee - 2022/06/26 13:51:13
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/26 20:38:08 (permalink)
    Shikhee
    Update, took the card out and tightened 2 of the gpu bracket screws about a quarter to half turn, temps went from 84-85c to 67-68 in GoW. I noticed before my rad was pumping out some decent heat, but not like it should have been. Seems to have just been a block contact issue. Idle temps seem about the same, maybe down 1c or 2

that is great news, glad you have it sorted

1/4 to 1/2 turn ?  were the screws loose ?   odd that Only 2 screws needed to be tightened ? 

Give an update after more testing

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/27 05:51:34 (permalink)
    Shikhee

Good to hear...  Hopefully that's all it took and your issue is resolved long term.

03whitegsr
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re: Hybrid kit hitting 80c+ 2022/06/28 06:45:56 (permalink)
    Your hot spot temp should be within like 8-12 degrees of your core temp. If it's higher than that, it's likely a contact issue with the block. I've got the same card though with Arctic P12s running at 70% and core temps stay around 55C with a 400+ Watt gaming load.

Did you replace VRAM pads? If so, they might be too hard/thick.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile