EVGA

Helpful ReplyHow many PCIe lanes does this need?

Author
socialwaif
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/19 08:03:11 (permalink)
Debating getting this but am concerned I don't have enough spare PCIe lanes. How many does it use or need? I am hoping it does not effect the performance of my GPU or a M.2 drive.

For reference, I have an Intel i7-5820k CPU. Has a max of 28 PCIe lanes. Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4. Graphics card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING. The main M.2 drive I have is an Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe drive. I also have another M.2 SSD hooked up via an PCIe adapter card.

Thanks in advance.

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/19 08:32:45 (permalink)
Going to need some additional information to be able to answer all of your questions. 

I am assuming that you are talking about getting an EVGA NU Audio Card? The NU Audio Card only NEEDs PCIe x1 Gen2 lane... Another words it only needs one PCIe lane. In order for me to answer all of your questions I am going to need to know specifically which PCIe slots you are currently using and what is connected to them.

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31004
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/19 08:38:52 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

socialwaif
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/20 02:29:04 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
Going to need some additional information to be able to answer all of your questions. 

I am assuming that you are talking about getting an EVGA NU Audio Card? The NU Audio Card only NEEDs PCIe x1 Gen2 lane... Another words it only needs one PCIe lane. In order for me to answer all of your questions I am going to need to know specifically which PCIe slots you are currently using and what is connected to them.

Yes, I meant the EVGA NU Audio Card.
Thought that might be the case.
PCIe slot 1 has my GPU.
PCIe slot 3 has a PCIe M.2 SSD adapter card.

It looks like I have one PCIe slot left and uncovered, I believe it is PCIe_2
post edited by socialwaif - 2019/05/20 02:31:24

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/20 08:52:02 (permalink)
socialwaif

PCIe slot 1 has my GPU.

I will be referencing the diagram that is located on page 7 of the owners manual for your motherboard...

For you CPU\Motherboard combo here is how the PCIe lanes operate... 
- PCIE_1 >> GPU >> Currently running at x16
- PCIE_5 >> Empty >> Could operate at x1. This PCIE lane is NOT connected to the CPU and instead runs through the chipset/PCM.
- PCIE_4 >> Empty >> Could operate at x8. If used PCIE_1 will operate at x8. 
- PCIE_6 >> Empty >> Could operate at x1. This PCIE lane is NOT connected to the CPU and instead runs through the chipset/PCM.
- PCIE_2 >> Empty >> Could operate at x8
- PCIE_7 >> Empty >> Cold operate at x1. This PCIE lane is NOT connected to the CPU and instead runs through the chipset/PCM.
- PCIE_3 >> M.2 Adapter >> Currently running at x4

Given the above information I would NOT install the card in PCIE_4. You could install it in any of the other slots with out causing any issues. Also how many M.2 drives are connected to that M.2 adapter that you are using? 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

socialwaif
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/20 09:34:23 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
socialwaif

PCIe slot 1 has my GPU.

I will be referencing the diagram that is located on page 7 of the owners manual for your motherboard...

For you CPU\Motherboard combo here is how the PCIe lanes operate... 
- PCIE_1 >> GPU >> Currently running at x16
- PCIE_5 >> Empty >> Could operate at x1. This PCIE lane is NOT connected to the CPU and instead runs through the chipset/PCM.
- PCIE_4 >> Empty >> Could operate at x8. If used PCIE_1 will operate at x8. 
- PCIE_6 >> Empty >> Could operate at x1. This PCIE lane is NOT connected to the CPU and instead runs through the chipset/PCM.
- PCIE_2 >> Empty >> Could operate at x8
- PCIE_7 >> Empty >> Cold operate at x1. This PCIE lane is NOT connected to the CPU and instead runs through the chipset/PCM.
- PCIE_3 >> M.2 Adapter >> Currently running at x4

Given the above information I would NOT install the card in PCIE_4. You could install it in any of the other slots with out causing any issues. Also how many M.2 drives are connected to that M.2 adapter that you are using?

Thank you. I had looked at and was referencing that same page when I looked at what slots were in use inside the PC. I believe that both PCIE_1 as well as PCIE_4 are either in use or covered up by my GPU. The M.2 adapter in PCIE_3 only has one M.2 SSD in it. The other SSD is plugged into my M.2 port on the motherboard itself.

My plan was to try using the NU Audio Card in the PCIE_2 slot. I think that is the one that is open on the PCB of the motherboard. I do not know if the short PCIE slots - numbered 5,6 & 7 - would accommodate the NU Audio Card. They look like they might.

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/20 09:46:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby socialwaif 2019/05/20 10:57:26
socialwaif

Thank you. I had looked at and was referencing that same page when I looked at what slots were in use inside the PC. I believe that both PCIE_1 as well as PCIE_4 are either in use or covered up by my GPU. The M.2 adapter in PCIE_3 only has one M.2 SSD in it. The other SSD is plugged into my M.2 port on the motherboard itself.

My plan was to try using the NU Audio Card in the PCIE_2 slot. I think that is the one that is open on the PCB of the motherboard. I do not know if the short PCIE slots - numbered 5,6 & 7 - would accommodate the NU Audio Card. They look like they might.

#5, #6, and #7 would work with the NU Audio Card they are all x1 slots which is all that the NU Audio Card needs although it would also work on #2 as well. All of that being said if you ever plan on adding more than one NVMe drive to that M.2 Adapter I would suggest moving that card to slot #2 and putting the NU Audio Card in either #5, #6, or #7. 

socialwaif
Re: How many PCIe lanes does this need? 2019/05/20 11:01:36 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
socialwaif

#5, #6, and #7 would work with the NU Audio Card they are all x1 slots which is all that the NU Audio Card needs although it would also work on #2 as well. All of that being said if you ever plan on adding more than one NVMe drive to that M.2 Adapter I would suggest moving that card to slot #2 and putting the NU Audio Card in either #5, #6, or #7. 

Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the placement of the M.2 adapter card. It takes up to two M.2 drives. Right now it is just being used to house a spare M.2 SSD after my last OS drive upgrade.

Good to know that the NU Audio Card should fit in the higher numbered, short slots. Much appreciated.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile